billvon

Ryan forces his way into soup kitchen

Now that's desperation at its finest:

===========================
Charity president unhappy about Paul Ryan soup kitchen ‘photo op’

Felicia Sonmez on October 15, 2012 at 4:41 pm

The head of a northeast Ohio charity says that the Romney campaign last week “ramrodded their way” into the group’s Youngstown soup kitchen so that GOP vice presidential candidate Paul Ryan could get his picture taken washing dishes in the dining hall.

Brian J. Antal, president of the Mahoning County St. Vincent De Paul Society, said that he was not contacted by the Romney campaign ahead of the Saturday morning visit by Ryan, who stopped by the soup kitchen after a town hall at Youngstown State University.

“We’re a faith-based organization; we are apolitical because the majority of our funding is from private donations,” Antal said in a phone interview Monday afternoon. “It’s strictly in our bylaws not to do it. They showed up there, and they did not have permission. They got one of the volunteers to open up the doors.”

He added: “The photo-op they did wasn’t even accurate. He did nothing. He just came in here to get his picture taken at the dining hall.”

Ryan had stopped by the soup kitchen for about 15 minutes on his way to the airport after his Saturday morning town hall in Youngstown. By the time he arrived, the food had already been served, the patrons had left, and the hall had been cleaned.

Upon entering the soup kitchen, Ryan, his wife and three young children greeted and thanked several volunteers, then donned white aprons and offered to clean some dishes. Photographers snapped photos and TV cameras shot footage of Ryan and his family washing pots and pans that did not appear to be dirty.

Antal . . . noted that the soup kitchen relies on funding from private individuals who might reconsider their support if it appears that the charity is favoring one political candidate over another.

“I can’t afford to lose funding from these private individuals,” he said. “If this was the Democrats, I’d have the same exact problem.”

He added that the incident had caused him “all kinds of grief” and that regardless of whether Ryan had intended to serve food to patrons or wash dishes, he would not have allowed the visit to take place.

“Had they asked for permission, it wouldn’t have been granted. … But I certainly wouldn’t have let him wash clean pans, and then take a picture,” Antal said.
=======================================

Coming up next - Romney runs into burning building to save Ohio firefighters at controlled burn, but fortunately is removed by police before he is injured.

Now that's desperation at its finest:

===========================
Charity president unhappy about Paul Ryan soup kitchen ‘photo op’

Felicia Sonmez on October 15, 2012 at 4:41 pm

The head of a northeast Ohio charity says that the Romney campaign last week “ramrodded their way” into the group’s Youngstown soup kitchen so that GOP vice presidential candidate Paul Ryan could get his picture taken washing dishes in the dining hall.

Brian J. Antal, president of the Mahoning County St. Vincent De Paul Society, said that he was not contacted by the Romney campaign ahead of the Saturday morning visit by Ryan, who stopped by the soup kitchen after a town hall at Youngstown State University.

“We’re a faith-based organization; we are apolitical because the majority of our funding is from private donations,” Antal said in a phone interview Monday afternoon. “It’s strictly in our bylaws not to do it. They showed up there, and they did not have permission. They got one of the volunteers to open up the doors.”

He added: “The photo-op they did wasn’t even accurate. He did nothing. He just came in here to get his picture taken at the dining hall.”

Ryan had stopped by the soup kitchen for about 15 minutes on his way to the airport after his Saturday morning town hall in Youngstown. By the time he arrived, the food had already been served, the patrons had left, and the hall had been cleaned.

Upon entering the soup kitchen, Ryan, his wife and three young children greeted and thanked several volunteers, then donned white aprons and offered to clean some dishes. Photographers snapped photos and TV cameras shot footage of Ryan and his family washing pots and pans that did not appear to be dirty.

Antal . . . noted that the soup kitchen relies on funding from private individuals who might reconsider their support if it appears that the charity is favoring one political candidate over another.

“I can’t afford to lose funding from these private individuals,” he said. “If this was the Democrats, I’d have the same exact problem.”

He added that the incident had caused him “all kinds of grief” and that regardless of whether Ryan had intended to serve food to patrons or wash dishes, he would not have allowed the visit to take place.

“Had they asked for permission, it wouldn’t have been granted. … But I certainly wouldn’t have let him wash clean pans, and then take a picture,” Antal said.
=======================================

Coming up next - Romney runs into burning building to save Ohio firefighters at controlled burn, but fortunately is removed by police before he is injured.

What a SHOCK!!! Republicans pretending to actually care about the poor and less fortunate, just long enough for the photo op.

Reminds me of their intense committment to "unborn children". Those, they care about, kinda. If they really cared they wouldn't be trying to slash funding for planned parenthood and prenatal care. Since they don't give a shit about the child after delivery, why would they waste any money on prenatal care for the mother? As long as she delivers something that is alive, they have fulfilled their mission. It matters not at all to them if, after delivery, the mother and child are healthy and have a place to live, as well as food to eat.

None of that social safety net bullshit. They can starve and be homeless. That IS the Republican way.

This is perhaps off-topic but I saw on the TV that Romney said if he was a latino he had a better chance of winning the elections.

Whats up with that?

Meh, I don't believe he's wrong. For instance, do you think liberals would tolerate such ineptitude from a white president? Hell no.

Edit: Just to clarify, people like a fresh new story.

Politically inexperienced black man running for president? Hope-and-change yaaaay!

Woman running for president? Gender equality!

Latino running for president on the Republican ticket? What a novel idea!

White guy running for president? zzzZZZzzz
Provoking a reaction isn't the same thing as saying something meaningful.
-Calvin

Why does your title say Romney when the story doesn't mention him?

Biden did something similar when I was in Iraq. His caravan blasted through a stop sign and nearly hit a couple of Soldiers in a crosswalk. When I got to the gym, I discovered that was where they were going in such a hurry. Biden was in workout clothes, taking pictures with troops. He was there about 15 minutes and didn't work out. When I addressed my safety concern with the head of his security detail, the guy made it clear they didn't care. Some things apparently transcend party lines.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/rickungar/2012/10/16/ryans-despicable-soup-kitchen-antics-a-perfect-metaphor-for-gop-tickets-disrespect-for-the-poor/
god just thank people you dumb fuck! don't be a dumb fuck!
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

I grew up a few miles north of Youngstown. The city is in shambles, except for YSU. I hope this actually translates into more donations for them. I would hope Ryan and Romney would cut a check.

Right, because Romney doesn't donate enough to charity. :S

Yep, with assets of (at least) $30 Billion, the Mormon Church needs all the money it can get.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I grew up a few miles north of Youngstown. The city is in shambles, except for YSU. I hope this actually translates into more donations for them. I would hope Ryan and Romney would cut a check.

No, because it would be a nice thing to do.

Right, because Romney doesn't donate enough to "charity". ;)

Just like Tom Cruise donates a lot to "charity" ;)

Not too many US Presidents really care deeply about domestic poverty. Lyndon Johnson did. He was corrupt and a power freak, but he really did a lot for very poor people. I saw some of the results first hand.

I was a volunteer in a federal anti poverty program in the late 60s, posted to an impovershed place in the deep South. I saw some miserable lives changed and uplifted by some LBJ initiatives such as Head Start and Emergency food and Medical programs that were part of his War on Poverty. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_on_Poverty

Jimmy Carter has worked a lot for Habitat for Humanity, .... real work, not just opportunistic photo op posing stuff.

US hard core poverty just isnt a big deal to most US Presidents. The severely disenfranchised dont vote and, of course, dont make campaign contributions.

I find soup kitchen "photo op drive bys" such as Paul Ryan's offensive. Remember when EST guru Werner Erhard became a poverty pimp and raised money in the name of ending hunger... money that never made it out of his cult organizartion?

Hunger and poverty pluck our heart strings. Politicians and unscrupulous fund raisers know that and capitalize on it. Too few actually do something to help fix it.

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

>I hope this actually translates into more donations for them.

Unfortunately, no:

=============
WASHINGTON -- In the wake of Rep. Paul Ryan's embarrassing soup kitchen photo-op last week, the organization that runs the facility tells The Huffington Post that donors have begun pulling their money out of the Youngstown, Ohio charity.

Ryan may have suffered a few late-night jokes, but the fallout for the soup kitchen appears to be far more bruising. Brian J. Antal, president of the Mahoning County St. Vincent De Paul Society, confirmed that donors have begun an exodus in protest over Ryan's embarrassment. The monetary losses have been big. "It appears to be a substantial amount," Antal said. "You can rest assured there has been a substantial backlash." . . . .

Ryan supporters have now targeted Antal and his soup kitchen, Antal said, including making hundreds of angry phone calls. Some members of Antal's volunteer staff have had to endure the barrage as well, he said. "The sad part is a lot of [the callers] want to hide behind anonymity," he said, adding that if someone leaves their name and number he has tried to return their call. In addition to phone calls, people have posted a few choice words on the charity's Facebook wall, including statements like "I hope you lose your tax [sic] emempt status," Anyone who is thinking about donations to you should think twice" and "Shame on you Brian Antal!"

On the phone with HuffPost, Antal seemed worn out by all the vitriol. "Honesty, I really don't need any more attention," he said. "I really just want this to go away."

Antal said doesn't understand why donors would take out their frustration over the incident on those who can't afford to pay for their own meals. "I'm a volunteer,' he said. "I receive zero compensation. Withholding donations is only going to hurt the over 100,000 we serve annually."
================

Anyone who wants to help undo the damage Ryan did can contact:

Mahoning County St. Vincent De Paul Society
P.O. Box 224
Youngstown, Ohio 44501.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/election-2012/wp/2012/10/16/brian-antal-paul-ryan-critic-has-voted-in-democratic-primaries/

Well, the funny thing is, it turns out this 'independent' isn't independent at all, he's been voting in the democratic primaries since 1995.

Oh, and it seems Ryan DID get permission, WAS led in by a volunteer, and did wash some dirty dishes.

Basically Antal has admitted everything he said to the media was pretty much a lie.

I'd stop supporting him too, turns out he's a LIAR!
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

>I'd stop supporting him too, turns out he's a LIAR!

Nice. Perhaps there's an orphanage you could go after?

If the people running it turn out to be liars, I have no way of knowing how thrir using my money, so I might stop supporting that, too. Doesn't mean I stop giving - I just don't support liars in theirmischief-making.
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

>supporters have now targeted Antal and his soup kitchen, Antal said, including making hundreds of angry phone calls. Some members of Antal's volunteer staff have had to endure the barrage as well, he said. "The sad part is a lot of [the callers] want to hide behind anonymity," he said, adding that if someone leaves their name and number he has tried to return their call. In addition to phone calls, people have posted a few choice words on the charity's Facebook wall, including statements like "I hope you lose your tax [sic] emempt status," Anyone who is thinking about donations to you should think twice" and "Shame on you Brian Antal!"

yeah, and there's no such thing as angry anonymous liberals either.

Blaming this on Ryan instead of the overzealous callers "help undo the damage Ryan did" is just political manuvering too and also stupid.

It would be like blaming Obama for things Amazon or Funjumper say.

politically charged people are just a pain - doesn't matter which party.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants