funjumper101

Fox News audio manipulation of the VP debate

Leave it to a Grammy award winner to provide some technical expertise...

Pffft.

Obviously he's apart of the conspiracy, pushing one VP over another through sound adjustments so minor that no without a tinfoil hat can hear them. All of this just to open another Big Sky Loan shop out of his house now offering $10,000 loans at 187% APR...

:D
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I recorded both the Faux News and the MSNBC broadcasts of the VP debate. I watched the debate live mostly on Fox for the split screen view of the participants.

Faux Spews manipulated the audio for both participants in the debate last night. Ryan’s audio was clear as a bell, with a bit of added bass to make him sound better. Biden’s audio was manipulated to make him sound old and scratchy, along with audio level variances as he moved slightly in relation to the desk mounted mike. The chest mounted mikes don't have audio level variance issues unless the audio is being deliberately manipulated.

Neither of these audio issues show up on the MSNBC recording. Both participants voices were the same as other recordings I have on my DVR. I spent a good hour comparing the audio from several different recordings I have accumulated, including the conventions. It was quite obvious that Biden’s audio was deliberately munged by Faux.

Did anyone else notice this? Do you have other audio outside of the debate to compare?

For the record, I have DirecTV HD DVR service, and a high quality 5.1 surround sound system with an Onkyo receiver. The audio output from the DVR is digital. In other words, the differences in audio were not equipment related.

I approve this message

But how about the other part - how does making a man's voice sound more grandfatherly make someone sound bad?

He said scratchy....and let's face it, Biden's not the most likeable guy to start with and it was painful listening to him interrupting repeatedly. Making his voice closer to chalkboard only amplifies that and at a subtle subconscious level. So yes, there are benefits, if it did indeed occur.

Biden is unlikeable only to a certain kind of person. The kind that doesn't like folksy, true blue Americans. The kind that likes creepy eyed, lying weasels like Ryan.

Biden's normal voice is deep and projects well. He is the epitome of a politician, a throwback to the good old days. He does not have a scratchy, crackling voice as was broadcast of Faux.

When a weasel like Ryan is not stopping on time, telling lies and uttering half truths, he deserves to be interrupted to be corrected by his elders and betters. Ryan refused to take credit for his own policies and sponsored legislation. Co-sponsoring personhood bills with Todd Akin is a fact. Why didn't Ryan admit it?

yup. no bias here...
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

My landlord came over and watched the versions in sequence. After I asked him to listen carefully, he noticed the same differences I have written about.

Coincidence? I don't think so. Neither did he, with no prompting on my part.

Post them here for those of us who didn't get to hear this on Fox, because we watched ABC and heard the same thing.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

My landlord came over and watched the versions in sequence. After I asked him to listen carefully, he noticed the same differences I have written about.

In all seriousness, if this was really an issue it would be all over the place. These debates are scrutinized pretty damn well. There are nitwits out there who counted how many times each person smiled, smirked, winked, nodded and blinked.

If this wasn't noticed by them, then it's pretty safe to say nobody but you is really hearing it.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

In all seriousness, if this was really an issue it would be all over the place. These debates are scrutinized pretty damn well. There are nitwits out there who counted how many times each person smiled, smirked, winked, nodded and blinked.

If this wasn't noticed by them, then it's pretty safe to say nobody but you is really hearing it.

indeed, for better or worse, we have lots of people with absolutely nothing better to do.

Some RWC replaced the carbon in Mr Biden's microphone with nanothermite, which has a different resonant frequency than carbon. Nobody died. Biden still sounded like a dipshit. Situation normal. Life goes on.

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

I am more likely to believe that MSNBC played with Bidens audio to make him sound less like the shrill condescending asshole that he is...;)

"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

Not surprised it's Faux news.
The only international news network with only one office?
Come on! Even the Simpsons make fun of Faux news!
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

I double-dog dare you to go throughout the next 48 hours without seeing a red Jeep on the road.:P

One guy "hears" some thing, one guy. I heard and watched the ABC broadcast and chalked up the "sounds" to VP Biden hitting his mikes, making grand gestures which lead to moving fabric over his mikes and moving away from his mikes, etc.

But, as I only have five years experience in the production field my ears aren't as attuned as yours. Or as attuned as One Guy, out of the millions who watched and heard the debate.

Matt

One guy "hears" some thing, one guy. I heard and watched the ABC broadcast and chalked up the "sounds" to VP Biden hitting his mikes, making grand gestures which lead to moving fabric over his mikes and moving away from his mikes, etc.

But, as I only have five years experience in the production field my ears aren't as attuned as yours. Or as attuned as One Guy, out of the millions who watched and heard the debate.

Matt

With a hand-waver like Biden, I woulda used moleskin around a Tram, and looped for isolation. Had they silked him, it likely would have reduced the rubs by a significant amount.
I just watched the debate again, and the highly compressed audio on YouTube makes the compressor pumping more apparent. Biden is a perfect candidate for a hairline mic. Then there would be no noise, no slap, no hassle at all.

Matt

With a hand-waver like Biden, I woulda used moleskin around a Tram, and looped for isolation. Had they silked him, it likely would have reduced the rubs by a significant amount.
I just watched the debate again, and the highly compressed audio on YouTube makes the compressor pumping more apparent. Biden is a perfect candidate for a hairline mic. Then there would be no noise, no slap, no hassle at all.

I was trying to tell him, he was "hearing a conspiracy", not an actual conspiracy, when the subject does all the distracting antics the VP did, the sounds are heard, fact of the Audio Departments life.

ABC had the sounds as well, it wasn't a "Fox did this" event. Or it would be all over the web right now! It was a "the VP did it" event.

Matt

The chest mounted mikes don't have audio level variance issues unless the audio is being deliberately manipulated.

Really? so you know it was a Tram vs a C3, 892, or mx150?

Biden played with his tie a lot, and a uni vs omni (it was a live environment), easily has level fluctuations without anything being touched. A broadcast compressor will only make this more evident (and doesn't require help from anyone's hands). Toss in AC3 compression, and any number of things, it could easily explain this away.
Fox annoys me, but I sincerely doubt anyone torpedoed Biden's mic.

If both broadcasts I recorded use the input from the same mike, yet have noticeable differences in audio quality, there is something other than deliberate manipulation responsible? Faux has lesser quality sound processing hardware than MSNBC? Really?
The audio on Faux has Biden sounding scratchy, old, and has odd pitch changes. The audio on MSNBC does not. The comparison is between two different recordings of the exact same part of the debate. Audio of both speakers, from other events, does not show the same effect.

I would not put anything past Rescumlican TV.

The chest mounted mikes don't have audio level variance issues unless the audio is being deliberately manipulated.

Really? so you know it was a Tram vs a C3, 892, or mx150?

Biden played with his tie a lot, and a uni vs omni (it was a live environment), easily has level fluctuations without anything being touched. A broadcast compressor will only make this more evident (and doesn't require help from anyone's hands). Toss in AC3 compression, and any number of things, it could easily explain this away.
Fox annoys me, but I sincerely doubt anyone torpedoed Biden's mic.

If both broadcasts I recorded use the input from the same mike, yet have noticeable differences in audio quality, there is something other than deliberate manipulation responsible? Faux has lesser quality sound processing hardware than MSNBC? Really?
The audio on Faux has Biden sounding scratchy, old, and has odd pitch changes. The audio on MSNBC does not. The comparison is between two different recordings of the exact same part of the debate. Audio of both speakers, from other events, does not show the same effect.

I would not put anything past Rescumlican TV.
:D:D

Ya

And GWB had a speaker in his ear during his debate too:D
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Since you have DirectTV you might try watching the debates and other news on channel 212.

-------------------------------------------------------
In my part of the woods channel 212 is the NFL network on DirecTV.

Check the programming schedule. I think the BlazeTV is broadcast at 5:00PM.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

Since you have DirectTV you might try watching the debates and other news on channel 212.

-------------------------------------------------------
In my part of the woods channel 212 is the NFL network on DirecTV.

Well, it would have been a less depressing showing!

Matt