flyboy8501

Concealed Weapon choice.

I'm fixing to return from Afghanistan in about 4 months and I'm having a hard time finding a weapon of choice. I don't want a pussy 9mil Maybe a .40 or .45. I've been looking at the springfield 1911, And many versions of the glock. What should I get will drop a dumbass but still be compact enough to conceal?

It would be cooler if everyone, even the cops, went with non-lethal weapons. A lot of the mistakes being made are people being killed when a kinder solution could have easily been applied.

I don't want to be killed by a gun for the wrong reasons. Do you?

You don't want me to shoot you, 3 months later, for tazing me for the wrong reasons either do you?:)

Take a look at a SIG P229

http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/p229.aspx

The barrel is interchanable with .40, 9mm, .357 and .22. Nice if there is a shortage of a specific ammo and gives cheaper options for practices.

I like 9mm myself but that's a different discussion that nobody ever comes out ahead on!
Summer Rental special, 5 weeks for the price of 4! That is $160 a month.

Try before You Buy with Wicked Wingsuits - WingsuitRental.com

I'm fixing to return from Afghanistan in about 4 months and I'm having a hard time finding a weapon of choice. I don't want a pussy 9mil Maybe a .40 or .45. I've been looking at the springfield 1911, And many versions of the glock. What should I get will drop a dumbass but still be compact enough to conceal?

What did the military give you as a side arm?
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Everyone I know who's back from deployment hates the M9. Of those people, they are carrying a variety. One carries a glock, a couple a Springfield XD, one loves his CZ-75 (in .40) and several carry a couple of different full size 1911 variants.

You probably need something thin so you don't have a huge bulge somewhere. I've got enough of a gut I could likely get away with something with a nice fat double-stack grip, but I carry a 1911. (I suspect you don't have the gut I do)

My friend with the CZ-75 tells me the CZ-97 is also nice (.45ACP) but I don't know much else about it.

It seems that with a 4-oclock inside the waistband (which is how I typically carry), width is more of a concealment issue than length. With appendix carry (as opposed to 4-oclock) length is a comfort issue.

The downsides to polymer framed handguns is the perceived recoil force is higher due to the lighter weight. Of course the lighter weight is a positive wrt comfort of carry.

In the end, there are concealment systems for pretty much anything. Find a .40 or .45 you like, pick up a version that will conceal well depending on how you intend to carry.
--
Rob

H&K HK45 Compact is a great CCW gun. The Kimber compact 1911's are really good guns too and conceal easily. I personally have both of these guns and several more but my choice for carry is a modified S&W M&P 9 Compact. It is small and with the right ammo does nearly the damage the 40 SW will do. I would stay away from the Glock or any other gun that does not have a mechanical thumb safety unless you are very proficient with holstering and use a holster that will minimize the risk of a negligent discharge. I have seen more than once a weapon holstered along with a part of clothing and the ensuing unintentional discharge because the trigger safety was satisfied. Carrying OWB is a little different in this respect but IWB you are asking for trouble.

Great advise, I have many years of experience with handling weapons, I grew up with a father that was in the army for years, so as a child, I knew gun safety. I have never had an ND but have also heard of the clothes catching the trigger so I'm not saying I will never have one I Will look into that as well and thanks for your input!

I lean more towards springfield armory and glock.

I think my entire point would be something you're already extremely familiar with or something you love. Sadly, those two don't seem to go together right at this moment. I realise the M9 and variants aren't nessasrily the most popular, but they are a base line and combat proven, as of course is the 1911, which you're not quite as familiar with. But again, my entire point here is its going to be something you have with you almost 24/7...like anythng you carry like that, whether its a gun or cell phone...I think you personally want to love it...no matter what caliber.

Recommendations from other people will be helpful, but I think you need to lay some hands on them and use them a bit before you can answer the question yourself, "do I really want to carry this around with me wherever I go 24/7?" I think you might even reconsider the slightly smaller 9mm when you really think and size and weight.

Just a thought about devices in general...
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Yea the M9 has been battle proven, but as a concealed weapon, not so great. I have experience with the springfield 1911 but not enough to say that's the one I want. I just like to know what other people like so I can try it out and see for myself. Experience and knowledge is a great asset when shared with others.

I think you need to lay some hands on them and use them a bit before you can answer the question yourself, "do I really want to carry this around with me wherever I go 24/7?" I think you might even reconsider the slightly smaller 9mm when you really think and size and weight.

I've always loved SigS, but when considering your question, a nice little J-frame .38 is extremely comfortable.
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

Answers and opinions are going to be many and varied.
Go with a frame similar to what you're familiar with. There are smaller 1911 types and they carry concealed well, it is all in how it is done.

But, no matter what you choose in the end, TRAINING with it is key to successfully using it, as you know. We may have years if training in using a Carbine/Rifle, but let's be honest about the military Pistol training, outside of SOF Trained Individuals and some Mil LEO's, it is a "block checked. 50 rounds on paper lets go home" kind of day.

Just like the Military tends to have us go through annual recert, use that same mind set (as a minimum) to stay current with what you're using for carry purposes.

Be safe, get back stateside unscathed!

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

Find something that you will actually carry. Let me explain...I have a 1911 .45, commander size...and I bet I only carry it 20% of the times I leave the house because it's a pain in the ass to dress around.

On the other hand, I find that 100% of the time I leave the house, I have my Ruger LCP .380...because it slips in my pocket and is easy to carry.

Now...which would you prefer if the shit hits the fan...the .380 that is in your pocket...or the .45 which is at home in the gun safe?

There are times when I have both with me...but that again only represents about 20% of the time.

Sounds like you aren't a fan of the 9mm..........
With that said, the Glock 26 is my choice, small concealable, plenty of rounds.
I'm not a big fan of the .40 or .45 in a smaller framed gun. Just a personal choice.
my 2 cents......

9mm Corbon +P+ jacketed hollow points zip downrange over 1200fps.

IMHO the Glock is the best/easiest weapon to transition to, basically point, pull the trigger, shoot.

"Just 'cause I'm simple, don't mean I'm stewpid!"