ianmdrennan

Wait, what??

They simply had left mention of him out of the party platform...as they should.

Nothing wrong with mentioning God...I would never vote for cowards that feel afraid to express their beliefs in a free society.

You've misunderstood. It's not about feeling "afraid" to express the belief, that is massively and historically safe. Sadly, what people are afraid to express is their disbelief.

In either case, there is no requirement to express either. With that said, isn't it a topic best left out of the discussion?
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Sadly, what people are afraid to express is their disbelief.

Ya, I wouldn't vote for them cowards either...

isn't it a topic best left out of the discussion?

Only for cowards...
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

Only for cowards...

Yes, yes, it's so "brave" to stand up for popular opinion. I really do admire you for such bravery.
quade -

So it doesn't make you even a little uneasy that your shining knight has done a complete 180 on this - one of the most obvious flip flops in the history of politics?

Nope. People change their minds all the time. You expect anyone to make a statement and right, wrong or indifferent to go to their grave with it?
Let's hope not.

I guess it's a matter of degree. For instance, if someone's signature achievement in public office is health care reform (as is the case with Mitt Romney), it takes an extraordinary effort of self-betrayal to not even be able to mention that during the convention that just nominated him for president.

In this case it's not just a statement he's flip-flopping on, it's the most significant milestone in his political life.

Bullish...start talking deep about God and watch the eyes start rolling.
...anything beyond "I believe in God" is considered Jesus freakish...

You do realize you're under no such obligations to have such conversations with people. You are your own worst enemy in this regard.
quade -

You do realize you're under no such obligations to have such conversations with people.

Than I completely overestimated your knowledge about Christianity...

I'm pretty sure it says spread the word, not be a annoying.
quade -

You do realize you're under no such obligations to have such conversations with people.

Than I completely overestimated your knowledge about Christianity...

I'm pretty sure it says spread the word, not be a annoying.

Around here just the name Jesus alone is enough to annoy...

Only for cowards...

I was more impressed (and it was more revealing) when the DNC leadership IGNORED the vote and did what they wanted too and disregarded the will of the delegates (regarding the platform changes)

Seems to be a pattern with this party.....
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Jesus freak, anyone that loves Jesus more than you do.

The great commission was/is to go and make disciples of all the nations, Matthew 28:19. What do you think is the best way to follow that directive?
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

The great commission was/is to go and make disciples of all the nations, Matthew 28:19. What do you think is the best way to follow that directive?

Judging by how people act here, I'm guessing it's to be condescending, angry, and insulting at every possible turn?

- Dan G

Judging by how people act here, I'm guessing it's to be condescending, angry, and insulting at every possible turn?

I my case that came as retaliation following months of disrespect. I am trying to change but it is difficult not to stand up for myself. My first thought is to reach for my weapon not turn the other cheek. I am an old school sport parachutist.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

Which is a larger influence in your life, your sport parachutist roots, or the Holy Ghost?

The Holy Spirit.

My dad taught me to not take crap from anyone. Old habits die hard.

Respect?
On an internets forum.

That's just funny.

Truth.

I finally decided to join the fray and dish it out as it received it. The goal for me was not to use direct profanity or get banned from an otherwise personal attack. That is not easy for me.

I know there's been a lot of discussion already but... the quote from Mitt Romney was that he wasn't interested in watching the presidents speach unless the president was willing to admit not keeping his promises.

Mr. Holman took that to mean that Mr. Romney wasn't going to watch the speach.
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

I understand what your dad taught you. I guess I just don't understand why someone who so fevently proclaims the power of Christ isn't more interested in what his Father teaches.

That is an example of not understanding human development and psychology. What you are taught by your parents is ingrained forever.

The Holy Spirit is a gentleman and never forces individual choices. He provides a check and His direction is always towards a greater relationship with Jesus Christ.

There are choices of individual spirit, natural desire or flesh. There are choices of sin. They are similar but not the same.

Paul lamented as sinning daily. All Christians sin daily. You have to make specific decisions to put Christ first in all directions of life. Impulse and common sense generally rise in your consciousness first. Therefore, continued repentance is required and it usually is in direct opposition to immediate feelings or emotions. It is always an act of free will which direction is chosen, Christ or self.

Aren't there religious forums that would better suit those with like minds?

There are condescending, angry, and insulting atheists in every religious forum who test the patience of christians who tend to be more protective, maybe even a little overprotective at times.

I mean, if it's offensive to the religious minded, why come back?

The offense is to be expected...it's part of the job description.

That is an example of not understanding human development and psychology.

And now the condescension.

You have to make specific decisions to put Christ first in all directions of life. Impulse and common sense generally rise in your consciousness first. Therefore, continued repentance is required and it usually is in direct opposition to immediate feelings or emotions. It is always an act of free will which direction is chosen, Christ or self.

How about trying some Christ once in a while, and not just when it meshes with your carnal desires?

- Dan G