emmiwy

Learning to forget

Experience and memory do make our lives colorful and help us evolve as stronger human beings, through learned mistakes or misfortunes. So in that sense, I wouldn't want to "un-live" my life experiences, but I would be happy to alleviate the emotional wake left from negative memories I recall from my life. To take it further, the article makes me wonder if we can learn to enhance the feelings associated with recalling positive memories beyond our normal capability, in order to help forget the negative. Perhaps its similar to cognitive behavioral therapy? Somehow memories with strong negative components are easy to recall, even when we don't want to re-live the emotions resulting from those memories...

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2012/09/03/160126283/can-we-learn-to-forget-our-memories

Experience and memory do make our lives colorful and help us evolve as stronger human beings, through learned mistakes or misfortunes. So in that sense, I wouldn't want to "un-live" my life experiences, but I would be happy to alleviate the emotional wake left from negative memories I recall from my life. To take it further, the article makes me wonder if we can learn to enhance the feelings associated with recalling positive memories beyond our normal capability, in order to help forget the negative. Perhaps its similar to cognitive behavioral therapy? Somehow memories with strong negative components are easy to recall, even when we don't want to re-live the emotions resulting from those memories...

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2012/09/03/160126283/can-we-learn-to-forget-our-memories

Clicky fixy :)
I heard the story the other day. It's pretty interesting.

But they only saw a 12% drop. Statistically significant to be sure, but nowhere near practical yet.
It will be interesting to see what the future brings.

There sure are some things I'd like to be able to forget. [:/]
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Members of my family have told me that what I remember about the growing up years never happened, and other members have told me (and apologised for) things I don't remember (and I'm glad of those) actually did, so I bet if my family was in that study, we would have skewed the results a fair bit. :S:o

lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

To take it further, the article makes me wonder if we can learn to enhance the feelings associated with recalling positive memories beyond our normal capability, in order to help forget the negative.

I never want to forget negative experiences...they are in-themselves, positive...

...but it takes a huge step in maturity to accept/understand that, IMO.
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

Learning to forget what?

If you forget would you ever really know it?
Your mind has forgotten so much more that you can imagine.

The stuff that is in you melon is there for a reason. its makes you, YOU.

Learn to deal with the grief and the embarrassment of those regrets and grow from it. Eventually, it won't matter to you and you'll forget. But, You'll never know you forgot in the first place.

So, By my calculations the system is working as advertised.
My photos

My Videos

"I think about more than I forget
But I don't go around fire expecting not to sweat.

And these niggas know I lay them down, make their bed
Bitches try to kick me while I'm down: I'll break your leg"
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

I never want to forget negative experiences...they are in-themselves, positive...

And that is taking personal responsibility, something a lot of folks in our SC community have difficulty applying in their lives.

Statistical data show that it is his/her/their/its fault and the government/atheists need to do something about it. And that is a fact.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

Statistical data show that it is his/her/their/its fault and the government/atheists need to do something about it. And that is a fact.

Given how opposed you are to facts and statistical data and the bizarre nature of this particular statement, can you please expand on your claim?

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

That's nuance that the article mentions. I don't necessarily want to forget certain experiences themselves as much as the emotion(s) associated with the particular memories. Subtle difference perhaps, but otherwise I agree with you. I believe every experience we have in our lives are building blocks for who we see in the mirror everyday, and gives us ample opportuity to be our strongest selves. If we let ourselves see it that way that is.

Learning to forget what?

If you forget would you ever really know it?

The stuff that is in you melon is there for a reason. its makes you, YOU.

Learn to deal with the grief and the embarrassment of those regrets and grow from it. Eventually, it won't matter to you and you'll forget. But, You'll never know you forgot in the first place.

So, By my calculations the system is working as advertised.

Point well taken. I suppose thinking about it now sounds like a silly "what if" question of, if I hadn't experienced certain things growing up then who wouuld I be now?

I listened to an audio book a few weeks ago that helped change my perspective via a pretty good analogy. As people we like to reflect on our lives and life directions as boats steered by the wake left behind the boat. We focus so much on our past and finding meaning in the source of our current state, believing that it is what controls where we go. Time to take control of what we get and make the lives we want, good and bad.

And that is taking personal responsibility, something a lot of folks in our SC community have difficulty applying in their lives.

Given how opposed you are to facts and statistical data and the bizarre nature of this particular statement, can you please expand on your claim?

The explanation is contained therein.

Statistical data show that it's the people of speakers corner's fault that they have difficulty taking personal responsibility and the government needs to do something about it?

Or do the atheists need to do sometihng? Are they supposed to do "a fact?"

I'm really at a loss trying to figure out what your post is saying.

We don't really forget anything that we are exposed too. Everything is still there in the unconscious and it will still express itself in our behavior (patterns). Actually the more unsolved issues you'll "forget" or in other words keep them the unconscious the more you'll "attract" the same unpleasent experience over and over again. It works pretty well if you think that there are no coincidences and that somehow, unconsciously we've "attracted" everything that is happening in our life.

If the reason why we've "attracted" a certain experience is unconscious then we can't make anything about it and we'll "attract" that experience again and again :)

Lock, Dock and Two Smoking Barrelrolls!