Clint Eastwood at the GOP Convention

(paraphrased because i was laughing so hard...)

CE talking to an imaginary BHO: "You want Mitt to do what to himself? I don't think even Mitt could do that...."

Just fuckin killed me:D

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

I purposely missed most of the speeches (I had better things to do) but I did catch the later half of Clint's appearance. He sure has aged a lot since I last saw him anywhere but the good news is that he has kept himself trim. Anyway he said some funny stuff. Interesting how the Left likes to laugh at others but go absolutely ballistic with their vitriol when someone says something funny about their messiah. One part I found funny was when Clint talked about letting Romney take over, and that Obama could still use an airplane, but not the big one. That was too wasteful. Here is what he said.

I think it is maybe time -- what do you think -- for maybe a businessman. How about that? A stellar businessman. And I think it’s that time. And I think if you just step aside and Mr. Romney can kind of take over. You can maybe still use a plane. Though maybe a smaller one. Not that big gas guzzler you are going around to colleges and talking about student loans and stuff like that. You are an -- an ecological man. Why would you want to drive that truck around?

I also thought this was one of his better more serious remarks:

when somebody does not do the job, we got to let them go.

In 2008 I thought the Republicans needed a time out. I thought that it was time to let someone else try the job. Well I feel we are at that crossroad again and it's time to let someone else try. Romney is not the messiah, he is not the savior. But he is a successful businessman, he is someone who had success working as a Governor of a major state and he did help turn the 2002 Salt Lake Olympics around. I really do not understand why these days some people in America demonize successful people. America needs to emulate successful people, not demonize them. But for some reason in Obama's world success is something to be looked down on, unless of course you are one of Obama's successful Hollywood friends. Then success is something Obama approves of. But he sure does not like successful business people.

Anyway, good stuff from Clint. He made my day. B|

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

So you think 4 more years of this lousy economy is just fine? In my. Business, when someone can't perform to our expectations we let them go. The person we hire might not be better than the one we fired but we reach a point where we are willing to take that risk.

That some do not see failure, or make excuses for it explains why most business' fail. You have to be able to look at and assess a person objectively and without emotion. Obama voters tend to vote emotionally. This is also a reason many make poor decisions and need government assistance.

So you think 4 more years of this lousy economy is just fine? In my. Business, when someone can't perform to our expectations we let them go. The person we hire might not be better than the one we fired but we reach a point where we are willing to take that risk.

That some do not see failure, or make excuses for it explains why most business' fail. You have to be able to look at and assess a person objectively and without emotion. Obama voters tend to vote emotionally. This is also a reason many make poor decisions and need government assistance.

To the Liberal Democratic community, trying is more important than achieving. In other words, they just throw money at problems.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

To the Liberal Democratic community, trying is more important than achieving. In other words, they just throw money at problems.

I am often reminded of the person who gets stuck on railroad tracks and is killed because their car won't start.

If Mitt becomes the next President, he's already said he would 'Free Wall Street'. The last time that happened... more than a million American homes went into foreclosure and close to a trillion dollars were lost in property values nationwide

No, that happened because some home owners were "freed" and lost all sense of proportion and responsibility.
We are all engines of karma

Interesting how the Left likes to laugh at others but go absolutely ballistic with their vitriol when someone says something funny about their messiah.

+1

This actually is odd to me. Clint Eastwood is getting hammered about his speech by some of the press. He's 82, he didn't use a teleprompter....we all know what happens when Obama goes off the teleprompter :P
Kevin Keenan is my hero, a double FUP, he does so much with so little

So you think 4 more years of this lousy economy is just fine? In my. Business, when someone can't perform to our expectations we let them go

In my business we analyze why expectations were not met and devise a plan to correct. We don't just shoot from the hip and hope the next guy does better.

If Mitt becomes the next President, he's already said he would 'Free Wall Street'. The last time that happened... more than a million American homes went into foreclosure and close to a trillion dollars were lost in property values nationwide

No, that happened because some home owners were "freed" and lost all sense of proportion and responsibility.

The problem was that banks, they wanted to lend more and more money on shaky home loans, they found a way to shift the risk (unregulated derivatives) to companies like AIG. AIG and others insured trillions of dollars worth of shit. When the housing bubble burst, all the investment banks that were holding the bundled home loans were going to go belly up if AIG and others did not make good, if they didn't get paid by AIG, the banking system would collapse. Unregulated derivatives is what brought the world to the brink.

This deregulation was a bi-partisan affair.

So you think 4 more years of this lousy economy is just fine? In my. Business, when someone can't perform to our expectations we let them go

In my business we analyze why expectations were not met and devise a plan to correct. We don't just shoot from the hip and hope the next guy does better.

In Obamas case, he's had 4 years. It's become quite obvious he isn't up to the job. Time to move on. We can't continue to wait and give him more time.

Got it. Shoot from the hip and hope the next guy will do better.

In Obamas case, he's had 4 years. It's become quite obvious he isn't up to the job. Time to move on. We can't continue to wait and give him more time.

Got it. Shoot from the hip and hope the next guy will do better.

agreed - just campaigning on "I'm not the current guy" didn't work 4 years ago,:S

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Why don't you enlighten us as to what "your business" is and what your role is in "your business".
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

I know beliefs are more important than facts to you, but this can't hurt.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Blues,
Dave

Dave - what am I looking at? Graphs without descriptors and in the lower two charts, not even numbers, are hard to analyze. In political discussions, these are typically bullshit.

It appears to say: "UP = GOOD. DOWN = BAD" But when improving the deficit leads upwards, I suspect a bad social scientist made the graphs.

If Mitt becomes the next President, he's already said he would 'Free Wall Street'. The last time that happened...more than a million American homes went into foreclosure and close to a trillion dollars were lost in property values nationwide. Let's not even discuss the folks who lost every penny they had in retirement investment accounts.

If someone lost every penny they had, they're fucking idiots and have only themselves to blame. We had a few examples here - people who mastered the art of buy high, sell low.

Blues,
Dave

Dave - what am I looking at? Graphs without descriptors and in the lower two charts, not even numbers, are hard to analyze. In political discussions, these are typically bullshit.

It appears to say: "UP = GOOD. DOWN = BAD" But when improving the deficit leads upwards, I suspect a bad social scientist made the graphs.

Yeah, sorry, I'm the bad social scientist who threw it together with a quick excel chart using CBO numbers. In the top graph, the X axis numbers on the far left are % of GDP. The horizontal line with hashmarks represents a balanced budget, with the couple excursions slightly above it as surpluses, and the vast majority of the line below it indicating deficits.

In the bottom two groupings, I simply copy/pasted sections from the top graph together by party, so all democrat administrations side by side and then all republican administrations side by side.

Blues,
Dave
(drink Mountain Dew)

Blues,
Dave

But the fact is people are not working. People are worried. People don't think BHO has done a good job. As CE so aptly stated, we need a businessman at the helm not a law professor.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

ok - I can understand it now. thanks.

I think the reliance on future year projections is an unwise one...I'd prefer to stick with actual data. The challenge with see the future on this graph is you have to estimate the GDP (a measure of the economy) as well as the level of government spending, which may or may not be based on the change in revenue if all or some of the Bush era tax cuts expire at year end and are not renewed in the next term.

The Reagan/Bush and Bush II patterns are interesting. You see the initial dive at the beginning that are mostly tax cuts, but also a reflection of the economy. But around year 6 it has recovered to the same state...and then the bottom seems to fall out. Probably too simplistic an analysis given the other factors, but I found the parallels interesting.

But the fact is people are not working. People are worried. People don't think BHO has done a good job. As CE so aptly stated, we need a businessman at the helm not a law professor.

What are we calling the last guy in office? Was he also a businessman? How'd that work out for us?

ok - I can understand it now. thanks.

I think the reliance on future year projections is an unwise one...I'd prefer to stick with actual data. The challenge with see the future on this graph is you have to estimate the GDP (a measure of the economy) as well as the level of government spending, which may or may not be based on the change in revenue if all or some of the Bush era tax cuts expire at year end and are not renewed in the next term.

The Reagan/Bush and Bush II patterns are interesting. You see the initial dive at the beginning that are mostly tax cuts, but also a reflection of the economy. But around year 6 it has recovered to the same state...and then the bottom seems to fall out. Probably too simplistic an analysis given the other factors, but I found the parallels interesting.

With only 1 month left in 2012, I think that number is solid enough, but agree that 2013 and beyond can be largely discounted, as there are too many variables at play. The biggest takeaway I get from these is the notion that "Democrat President = bigger deficits than Republican" is pretty dubious, if not flat out wrong, at least over the last 50 years.

Blues,
Dave
(drink Mountain Dew)

So you think 4 more years of this lousy economy is just fine?

It's certainly better than the last 4 years of the Bush administration.

Compare the change in the Dow from Jan 2005 - Jan 2009 with the change Jan 2009 - Aug 2012

Compare the change in the S&P500 from Jan 2005 - Jan 2009 with the change Jan 2009 - Aug 2012

Compare the change in the NASDAQ from Jan 2005 - Jan 2009 with the change Jan 2009 - Aug 2012

Compare the change in the Russell indices from Jan 2005 - Jan 2009 with the change Jan 2009 - Aug 2012

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Blues,
Dave

A juris doctor is good enough for you, at the helm, right?

Clint E.'s appearance was more than just awkward. I fully understand him, that's not the problem. I also heard somewhere for some people there is a secret friend called Harvey - but: Talking to an empty chair is ... is ....funny! B|

dudeist skydiver # 3105