Stumpy

"Legitimate rape" won't make you pregnant

>So clearly he doesn't believe the raped woman is an innocent victim

That's a bit of a stretch. "Believing in the protection if all life" != "rape victims must be guilty."

So YOU believe that carrying a rapists child to term and giving birth to it is not causing additional harm to an innocent rape victim.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

In all honesty, his main point was:
"We should protect the child, punish the rapist and give support to the woman. Don't take away the child's life just because of what the rapist did"

His biological knowledge about the female body is obviously wrong though it wasn't the justification for making abortion illegal.

He pretty clearly has a very poor understanding of both female anatomy and the different forms of rape. So why the hell is he opining on the subject and why should anyone trust him to vote wisely on such matters? Strong convictions based on misinformation are still wrong. At a minimum, a politician should understand what he considers the major points of his own platform. Personally, I appreciate a person who's not afraid to say "I don't know" to a question outside their area of expertise. Our political arena would be far less retarded if candidates could be similarly honest. (Yes, I understand the futility in wishing for honest politicians)

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

>Some women do lie about having been raped to get revenge on a man or for some other.

Agreed. But that doesn't mean that there are different kinds of rape. A woman who consented to sex, then later decided to claim it was rape, was not a victim of "illegitimate rape" or "non-forcible rape" or anything - she wasn't raped, period.

(Not disagreeing with you, mainly answering the issue of "degrees" of rape.)

I understand. Women who do lie about having been raped make it difficult for those with a ligitimate case. Rape tests at a hospital can differentiate between 'forced' and 'consenual'.

Chuck

I've never heard of this guy, no idea of which party he belongs to and really couldn't care less. However it speaks volumes that someone so stupid can become a politician. Even more so that there are idiots who would vote for this cretin.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Rape tests at a hospital can differentiate between 'forced' and 'consenual'.

A rape test? There's no such thing. There are rape kits used by hospitals, they are used in the collection of DNA and other trace evidence left after sex. There is no definitive physical evidence that proves rape or consensual sex for an adult.

Rape tests at a hospital can differentiate between 'forced' and 'consenual'.

A rape test? There's no such thing. There are rape kits used by hospitals, they are used in the collection of DNA and other trace evidence left after sex. There is no definitive physical evidence that proves rape or consensual sex for an adult.

consider it a scale from uncertain to virtually 100%. If she needs to stay in the hospital past the examination, that's a pretty strong probability.

What it will not determine at all is the difference between consensual and forced when a knife or gun or other threat is in play.

In between you have rough sex and rape intermingling.

"We should protect the child, punish the rapist and give support to the woman. Don't take away the child's life just because of what the rapist did"

His biological knowledge about the female body is obviously wrong though it wasn't the justification for making abortion illegal.

His wordings were obviously extremely poor, but the media definitely twist it in a way to give shock&awe.

(I am not defending Akin as I am pro-abortion on this topic but I did want to point out that the media/PR are trying to deceive us with snipets comments)

Cheers!
Shc

Are you missing the 'legitamate rape' part, where the clear insinuation is that women lie about being raped? That's the worst part of it for me. Not his blatant lack of education in biology (which he did later admit to), but what his statement says about victims of violence.... which he later reinforced by saying that he meant 'forcible rape'....as opposed to any other kind?

Maybe he truly believes that... but its unclear if he does based on what he said. It seems blatant that the guy just chose poor wordings (we all do).

This is the same as:
-Obama's "you didn't build this company" (which he meant that America is there to build it WITH you)

or
-Romney's "I like firing people" (I want you to have options).

I much rather focus on their actions (e.g: Ryans senate votes on abortion) than random snipets.

Always be wary of people using quotes whether it is in the media or in documentaries. I remember there was a G.W Bush quote that 9-11 conspiratists used that went along the line of: "Before the American people realized what happened, I will be long dead" (again used out of context).

Anyway, cheers.
wish you all a legitimate nice week ;)

His wordings were obviously extremely poor, but the media definitely twist it in a way to give shock&awe.

(I am not defending Akin as I am pro-abortion on this topic but I did want to point out that the media/PR are trying to deceive us with snipets comments)

Cheers!
Shc

Are you missing the 'legitamate rape' part, where the clear insinuation is that women lie about being raped? That's the worst part of it for me. Not his blatant lack of education in biology (which he did later admit to), but what his statement says about victims of violence.... which he later reinforced by saying that he meant 'forcible rape'....as opposed to any other kind?

Maybe he truly believes that... but its unclear if he does based on what he said. It seems blatant that the guy just chose poor wordings (we all do).

DISAGREE.

He was quite unambiguous in his wording. It even parrots a position that a number of bigoted Republicans have held over the years.

He didn't misspeak, and his "apology" was clearly forced.

It is an indictment of Missourians that they have elected such a jerk to Congress, and gave him a win in the GOP senatorial primary.

There is absolutely no doubt that the GOP is waging a war on womens' rights and will lie and deceive to further the agenda.

You clearly do not appreciate how intelligent and valuable Congressman Akin is. He DOES serve on the House Committee on Science, Space and Technology.
One can hardly imagine that Congressional representatives would appoint a "fucktard' to such an important and influential position. :S

He pretty clearly has a very poor understanding of both female anatomy and the different forms of rape. So why the hell is he opining on the subject and why should anyone trust him to vote wisely on such matters? Strong convictions based on misinformation are still wrong. At a minimum, a politician should understand what he considers the major points of his own platform. Personally, I appreciate a person who's not afraid to say "I don't know" to a question outside their area of expertise. Our political arena would be far less retarded if candidates could be similarly honest. (Yes, I understand the futility in wishing for honest politicians)

Blues,
Dave

You clearly do not appreciate how intelligent and valuable Congressman Akin is. He DOES serve on the House Committee on Science, Space and Technology.
One can hardly imagine that Congressional representatives would appoint a "fucktard' to such an important and influential position. :S

maybe its the oxygen debt from running up hills...but I can't tell if you meant this serious or sardonically. Help us (or just me) out.

Hi John,

There is absolutely no doubt that the GOP is waging a war on womens' rights and will lie and deceive to further the agenda.

I agree completely.

I was a registered Republican for 42 yrs; this is one of the major reasons why I left the party. Or should I say, the party left me.

JerryBaumchen

Hi John,

I agree completely.

I was a registered Republican for 42 yrs; this is one of the major reasons why I left the party. Or should I say, the party left me.

JerryBaumchen

Attached.

Not many fucks were given by the good citizens of the great state of Missouri.

Like elsewhere in the country. Now they can see clearly they've elected an idiot. To late.

He hasn't been elected yet, fortunately.

Yes he has, he's a Congressman.

akin.house.gov/

I hope his district is pleased with their choice.

My mistake; you are correct.

He's not my representative, but he wants to be my senator. Even without his comment, his platform is sufficient for me to vote against him.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

>So YOU believe that carrying a rapists child to term and giving birth to it is not causing
>additional harm to an innocent rape victim.

No, I don't believe that. Nor do I believe the converse.

So if the rape victim isn't innocent, how come she's not guilty?

Now Akin has an ally.

Huckabee, who doesn't deny the ability to get pregnant from "forcible rape" changes focus and declares that extraordinary people can come from it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2191443/Mike-Huckabee-comes-Todd-Akins-defense-saying-forcible-rapes-create-extraordinary-people.html
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

I am all for Huckabee believing whatever he wants to. He's absolutely right that extraordinary people can come from forcible rape. Just as horrible criminals can come from loving parents.

I disagree with his position that abortion should be illegal in nearly all circumstances, but absolutely support his right to that belief.

However, Huckabee isn't supporting Akin's ignorance; just trying to provide a little moral support. The general foot-in-mouth nature of Akin's comment (and his standing by it :o) will, hopefully, sink him.

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

>Now Akin has an ally.

Sounds like Akin and Huckabee are pretty much opposites on this one:

Akin - It's nearly impossible for a rape to produce a pregnancy.
Huckabee - Rapes produce pregnancies and some turn out great.

(Of course, no "legitimate" person comes from rape, but even some non-legitimate people turn out OK . . . )

>So if the rape victim isn't innocent, how come she's not guilty?

I don't know. Why do you think she's not innocent?

It's Akin who thinks she's not innocent, not me.

You might want to re-read what he said.