SpeedRacer

Would you legalize prostitution?

> Even with legalized prostitution, there is still a problem where Asian (and other)
> women will want to enter into what is at best an indentured servitude contract in order
>to get smuggled to America.

Agreed; it certainly does not solve the problem, just gives more power to women who want to escape that sort of life.

I respected this country when they had a sense of consistent morals and passed it on to their chidren...

Who are "they"? And when, exactly, is this time you are referring to?

To keep it simple, I stay up here on an old air force base in the summer...many here are old retired military or widows of military men. I love their discipline, consistency and willingness to sacrifice for future generations. No bullshit...these people got it right.

Edit...I think the 80's and 90's pretty much kicked ass for the most part.

those old military guys were prostitutes' best customers back in the day.
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

I think most people would agree with you that it's immoral.

Academic discussion here, but curious about something. Have you ever gotten a professional massage?

A person, touches your body with their body, for your pleasure in exchange for money.

What makes prostitution different? Why is touching you here for money different/immoral than touching you there for money?

Since you asked this question, I keep thinking about the Jules/Vincent "foot massage" scene.

On the non-professional side of things, if some guy offered me a massage, I probably wouldn't think he was offering it for the medical value. (Heck, even on the professional side of things, I got pretty creeped out by one guy I went to for a massage, and never went back to him.) And I'm sure that not everyone who goes for a professional massage is going for the medical value.

Anyhow, it seems that the topic of sex stirs a lot more emotion than the topic of massage. It's one of the most powerful human desires, making it difficult to think (or behave?) rationally about it.

I think prostitution (between consenting adults) should be legal because I don't see any good reason for it to be illegal. There are going to be problems with it whether it's legal or not, but that's true of almost anything. I think laws should generally be about not inflicting harm on others; I don't like most laws that only protect me from myself.

This.

But as an adult, I see nothing immoral about a reasonably sane adult choosing to provide a service and another adult choosing to pay for that service.

easy to say if you have no morals.

I have morals, and it was still easy for me to say.

Obviously you and I disagree on whether certain things are moral/immoral, but I don't see that as a reason to suggest that you have no morals.

Do you think it's all right if I ask how much cash you need for me to fuck the shit out of you?

It's not a matter of it being "alright." It just makes you sound like an asshole. What's your point?

Yeah it was brutal, but that's how I view prostitution...You may prefer a more sugar coated articulation but that doesn't make it any more respectful or moral.
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

A cautious "yes". Strictly speaking, consensual sex between adults for pay should be legal in a free society. But legalization can't turn a blind eye to the serious problem of trafficking. Too many prostitutes are literally slaves, forced into the trade at a very young age.

With legalization there would have to be regulation; public health, zoning, and strict enforcement of trafficking laws - with severe penalties would have to be part of the deal. But the hookers should not be the people - often the only people - who go to jail.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

The gist of it all is that legal prostitution increases crime, legal prostitutes are raped more, have more mental health issues (ptsd, suicide, etc), are still exploited, are still forced into prostituting (4 out of 5 women in legal brothels want out), so on and so forth.

Well, when I worked shift work in a factory for 13 years, I think about 4 out of 5 of my coworkers wanted out, too, so that statistic doesn't impress me much. Some quit and went elsewhere, others stayed for the money. We also had our share of mental health issues, and some suicides. Again, if it's legal, they have an avenue to get help they didn't have before....
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

A cautious "yes". Strictly speaking, consensual sex between adults for pay should be legal in a free society. But legalization can't turn a blind eye to the serious problem of trafficking. Too many prostitutes are literally slaves, forced into the trade at a very young age.

Human trafficking for any reason is already illegal. Not sure what keeping prostitution illegal does to counter human trafficking.

I see no sane or logical reason for the illegality of prostitution.

>Human trafficking for any reason is already illegal. Not sure what keeping prostitution
>illegal does to counter human trafficking.

Might help to reduce the demand for the services that human traffickers provide.

However on the balance I think prostitutes are better off when prostitution is legalized, despite the problems inherent with it.

>You think that illegal prositution decreases the demand for those services?

Yes. Human traffickers will see a greater demand when they are supplying larger legal industries with their goods. However, there is also a much greater opportunity to ensure that the women so involved can escape once they are in a legal industry.

Introductory drinks at a bar - $40
Quiet dinner - $60
Bottle of wine at his place or hers - $20

The guy is often over $100 into this deal before coitus.

Do you think makeup, new shoes/dress/underwear/perfume/jewelry, a trip to the salon/nail shop, et cetera is free?? Don't kid yourself that your efforts to impress women costs a lot... In some places, $100 won't even pay for a haircut/colour.

As for prostitution?? Legalise it for all consenting adults. Make it cleaner and safer. Redirect the efforts to punish consenting adults into protecting non-consenting victims.
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

>Do you think makeup, new shoes/dress/underwear/perfume/jewelry, a trip to
>the salon/nail shop, et cetera is free?

Definitely not. But none of that is needed, either. (Often true for men as well.)

I agree. The point being that *both* genders can (and often do) spend a considerable amount of money to impress each-other.
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

Have you ever gotten a professional massage?

A person, touches your body with their body, for your pleasure in exchange for money.

What makes prostitution different? Why is touching you here for money different/immoral than touching you there for money?

it seems that the topic of sex stirs a lot more emotion than the topic of massage. It's one of the most powerful human desires, making it difficult to think (or behave?) rationally about it.

True, there seems to be some kind of doublethink or something when it comes to the morality of prostitution.

"It's ok...nothing to be ashamed of. It's natural, the oldest profession in the world. I can't think for the life of me one rational, sane reason this isn't perfectly moral.....

.......buuuut, I wouldn't respect myself if I felt compelled to become a whore and enslave myself. If my daughter wanted to be Harley Quinn for Halloween, fine, but I would never encourage nor give her direction as how to be the sexiest Harlot Queen of all time. Could you imagine if my mother was a prostitute...creepy!"

If the people want to legalize prostitution, then that on you guys...it's your world, I'm just an observer taking notes, but I don't see the reason why people seem to have the need to lie to themselves, make excuses and sear a conscience that clearly tells them from the heart that this is wrong.

>If the people want to legalize prostitution, then that on you guys...it's your world, I'm
>just an observer taking notes, but I don't see the reason why people seem to have the
>need to lie to themselves, make excuses and sear a conscience that clearly tells them
>from the heart that this is wrong.

I don't either. But that's up to them - not me (or you.)

True, there seems to be some kind of doublethink or something when it comes to the morality of prostitution.

"It's ok...nothing to be ashamed of. It's natural, the oldest profession in the world. I can't think for the life of me one rational, sane reason this isn't perfectly moral.....

.......buuuut, I wouldn't respect myself if I felt compelled to become a whore and enslave myself. If my daughter wanted to be Harley Quinn for Halloween, fine, but I would never encourage nor give her direction as how to be the sexiest Harlot Queen of all time. Could you imagine if my mother was a prostitute...creepy!"

If the people want to legalize prostitution, then that on you guys...it's your world, I'm just an observer taking notes, but I don't see the reason why people seem to have the need to lie to themselves, make excuses and sear a conscience that clearly tells them from the heart that this is wrong.

Are you referring to someone in this thread?

I haven't noticed anyone in here lying to themselves. Unless, by disagreeing with me, that must mean they're lying to themselves???

I never understood why it was illegal in the first place. I think the government makes anything it can't tax, illegal; like drugs.

Both of which they could very easily tax...
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

I haven't noticed anyone in here lying to themselves. Unless, by disagreeing with me, that must mean they're lying to themselves???

Well, what does your conscience say about prostitution?

edit:
...As far as lying to themselves, I recall somebody equating a massage to prostitution.:S
;)

I never understood why it was illegal in the first place.

Because it's immoral...as time goes on we tend to lie to our selves and sear our conscience...as a result we become reprobate and then anything goes.

Well, what does your conscience say about prostitution?

edit:
...As far as lying to themselves, I recall somebody equating a massage to prostitution.:S
;)

My conscience says that prostitution (in and of itself) is not immoral.

And I doubt that quade was lying to himself when he compared professional massage to prostitution. But I understand if you disagree with him.

Well given my world view, you already know that I'm incapable of viewing this in such an overly simplistic manner...

Now...if and when ALL things ARE actually considered, surely you could see the immorality.

If it's not immoral then we should have no problem with teaching young children that prostitution is a just another noble career choice...it would be just like making a great living by receiving a 30 minute massage everyday.

If we don not consider the reality when deciding what's moral/immoral - legal/illegal, then we could easily say that it's not immoral for a 16 year old girl to have sex with a 23 year old man IN AND OF ITSELF...after all, she has naturally achieved physical sexual maturity, and if she could choose to have sex with 17 year old boy, then surely she could choose to have sex with an adult. Is there really that much difference between a 16 year old and an 18 year old?

Now I use children in these analogies because I think it helps illustrate that "age of innocence" to which I think we all need to return. I remember as a child how sensitive I was to all this shit in the world, but time had taken it's toll and I was hardened.

Many people say "if only I knew then what I know now," But I think Eddie Vedder had it right when he said, "if he only knew now what he knew then..."

I think it resembles what Christ meant when He said:

"Very truly I tell you, no one can see the kingdom of God unless they are born again..."

"...Truly, I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God like a child shall not enter it."

The issue at hand is morality is often subjective. Additionally should we as a society try to legislate morality between consenting adults?
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

Well given my world view, you already know that I'm incapable of viewing this in such an overly simplistic manner...

I suspect that you and I are incapable of viewing a lot of things in the same way. But that's OK; it's interesting to hear from people who think differently than myself.

Now...if and when ALL things ARE actually considered, surely you could see the immorality.

If I consider ALL things, I could probably find immorality in any profession. But if I look at the basic idea of being a prostitute, a massage therapist, a police officer, a doctor, etc., etc., there is nothing inherently immoral about the job.