Zep

Are you Americans really that fucked up

The girl did something that was highly unusual; even for her. To question whether something unusual caused it is only logical. Drawing conclusions without facts is not.

Npt only that, but has it ever happened before? Where a teenage athlete is beating full grown male athletes in a competition of strength and endurance?

That's what I meant by 'highly unusual'. Perhaps 'unprecedented' would be better. And since she did not previously show this level of ability, one has to wonder why she just came into her own on this stage. She was previously world class. She was not previously in a class by herself. One would ordinarily have expected to see some transition rather than a quantum leap like this. For people to question it is not American ego or anything of the sort. Anyone with a brain has to question it.

I hope it turns out she had an amazing day. But, since she has competed so many times before, an unprecedented burst of adrenaline is unlikely to be the explanation.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

Well, I like to think this is just where the coolest people hang out regardless of nationality. ;)

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

Where a teenage athlete is beating full grown male athletes in a competition of strength and endurance?

I wish people would stop saying this. IT DIDN'T HAPPEN.

It was one leg of a 400m IM. In the mens, Lochte was in the lead and crusing, in the womens she was under threat and had to hit the gas.
She couldn't have got close to Lochte's full 400m time with a jet engine strapped to her back.
Yes - it was very, unusually fast - but she is not quicker than the top guys.
Never try to eat more than you can lift

Nope. Not that simple. Lots of workarounds:
- Micro-dosing to keeps levels below detection threshold.
- Diuretics and/or drinking lots of water to flush out the system.
- Saline injections just before the tests to dilute the blood.
- Sleight of hand tricks worthy of any magician to substitute urine samples.
- Social engineering.

None of the above will alter the results of blood or urine tests. :S

Sparky

If substituting someone else's urine won't change the outcome of the test, then why do urine tests at all?:S
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

The girl did something that was highly unusual; even for her. To question whether something unusual caused it is only logical. Drawing conclusions without facts is not.

Npt only that, but has it ever happened before? Where a teenage athlete is beating full grown male athletes in a competition of strength and endurance?

Swimming is closer than other endurance sports. While running can almost be broken down to differences of muscle mass and VO2 max, in swimming you have a much bigger focus on technique and drag. A 16 yo is capable of big leaps forward on both. Women also have the mixed advantages of having slightly more body fat (more floaty) and are allowed slick suits that cover more surface area then the male jammers, but may also have breasts to contend with.

The questions center around her having a really fast last leg, and mediocre other legs. Fair question, though it presumes that the splits are right and misses that she might be better at that stroke, though fairly asks why she didn't compete in it by itself then.

Hi Dekker,

Npt only that, but has it ever happened before?

Not the same thing but Bob Beamon set a record in Mexico in '68 that was way over the top.

His record stood for nearly 23 yrs.

I consider her accomplishment somewhat similar.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Beamon

Just my thoughts,

JerryBaumchen

China swimmer Ye Shiwen clean, says BOA boss Moynihan

Teenage Chinese swimmer Ye Shiwen is not a drug cheat, the British Olympic Association's chairman has said, after a US coach cast doubt on her world record-breaking swim.

Lord Colin Moynihan said Ye, 16, had passed drug tests, was "clean" and deserved recognition for her talent.

Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

I'm glad that was the case. I think it was only natural to question it. But I'm very happy that she has done so incredibly well that she makes people wonder. I hope she can take it that way. I take a kind of sick appreciation in people at the gym asking if I do steroids.

China swimmer Ye Shiwen clean, says BOA boss Moynihan

Teenage Chinese swimmer Ye Shiwen is not a drug cheat, the British Olympic Association's chairman has said, after a US coach cast doubt on her world record-breaking swim.

Lord Colin Moynihan said Ye, 16, had passed drug tests, was "clean" and deserved recognition for her talent.

Hopefully she was clean, but I don't put too much faith into the tests. Marion Jones is a prime example of why not.

""People who have prepared in advance and used drugs coming here (to London) won't get caught,...If you get caught you fail two tests, a drugs test and an IQ test." (CNN)
-Dick Pound, former President of the World Anti-Doping Agency and former vice president of the International Olympic Committee

""People who have prepared in advance and used drugs coming here (to London) won't get caught,...If you get caught you fail two tests, a drugs test and an IQ test." (CNN)
-Dick Pound, former President of the World Anti-Doping Agency and former vice president of the International Olympic Committee

ah, yes, DICK, the guy who had no problem declaring guilt in spite of no evidence, and who never saw process that he couldn't cheat.

I don't miss that pigfucker for a second.

ah, yes, DICK, the guy who had no problem declaring guilt in spite of no evidence, and who never saw process that he couldn't cheat.

I don't miss that pigfucker for a second.

I'm glad Dick Pound is no longer in charge of WADA despite the opportunities for comic relief that his name provides. He was way too much into publicity and grandstanding and way too little for protection of due process rights.

Unfortunately in this case I believe he is right.

I feel bad for the clean athletes, as the only real defense they have against suspicion is, "I've passed all the tests" and that just doesn't go very far.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

I feel bad for the clean athletes, as the only real defense they have against suspicion is, "I've passed all the tests" and that just doesn't go very far.

That's the thing with cheating, it is now considered ok, as long as you don't get caught.

South African gold medal swimmer admits he cheated. His defence: I didn't want to lose by not cheating, since everybody cheats.

It reads to me that he is saying that people who use drugs won't get caught.

What am I missing?
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley