Zep

Are you Americans really that fucked up

If she's clean then good for her. But you do gotta wonder when a teenage girl gets a better time then one of the top men in the sport. I mean, she is Chinese, they do pretty much bread their Olympians and train them from the day they're born so it's possible, but you never know.

Is it really so much worse than the Japanese men protesting during the gymnastics meet? The guy obviously fucked up the dismount, and it was a big fuck up, yet they protested it, and won. Which in my opinion wasn't right.

Are they breaded and fried, or are they grilled?

And yes, us Americans are really that fucked up. We like to whine and complain and blame everyone else for our problems or lack of success. Not many of us as individuals, but our society as a whole.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

Well, it is pretty amazing that she swam the event a full FIVE SECONDS faster than she ever had before!

But, each medal winner gets tested. If she comes back clean, then she can laugh in the face of all the doubters (including the merely skeptical, such as me). Who knows? Maybe she was holding back in all previous public races, and she was simply China's secret weapon! :P

See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

I'm European and I don't think her result is due to a lot of training but because the Chinese have the best doctors.

In my opinion they should just drop with all the charades and make a category of sports where everything goes and you can use whatever you can get your hands on.
Your rights end where my feelings begin.

I'm generally a little cynical and suspicious of a lot of performances but it is ugly when Americans cry foul over foreign athletes. America has a history of being one of the dirtiest nations in Olympic sports. America also has a history of covering up positive tests.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

I'm generally a little cynical and suspicious of a lot of performances but it is ugly when Americans cry foul over foreign athletes. America has a history of being one of the dirtiest nations in Olympic sports. America also has a history of covering up positive tests.

like Lance Armstrong [:/]
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

so can we move the gratuitous nation bashing to Speaker's Corner yet?

sure, it's the "in thing" for impotent PC obsessed folks both in and out of the country to bash the US and pat each other on the back and stroke each other for being so advanced and evolved

but this is just a crappy thread

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Well, it is pretty amazing that she swam the event a full FIVE SECONDS faster than she ever had before!

But, each medal winner gets tested. If she comes back clean, then she can laugh in the face of all the doubters (including the merely skeptical, such as me). Who knows? Maybe she was holding back in all previous public races, and she was simply China's secret weapon! :P

Cyclists have been beating drug tests for decades.
Read Willy Voet's "Breaking the Chain" for an eye-opener on how they were doing it in the 80's & 90's.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

like Lance Armstrong [:/]

The examples are almost too numerous to mention. Like Justin Gatlin and LaShawn Merritt, both convicted dopers, being on our Olympic track and field team. Like the cover-up that happened prior to the '84 Olympics to Carl Lewis' positive drug test before the '88 games (where he replaced Ben Johnson after he tested positive. Up to the recent positive test for Hope Solo just before the games.

so can we move the gratuitous nation bashing to Speaker's Corner yet?

sure, it's the "in thing" for impotent PC obsessed folks both in and out of the country to bash the US and pat each other on the back and stroke each other for being so advanced and evolved

I don't think it is nation bashing to point out that the US has a lousy record with regard to doping. So does Russia. So does India (despite being a very poor games performers India has a huge number of athletes currently serving doping bans).

Why is it a crappy thread?

Over the years I've supported you guys through thick and thin.
Come on learn to lose with a little grace like the rest of us.

If it turns out that she did actually take an "illegal" substance
I'll eat humble pie., but till then...

Gone fishing

But, each medal winner gets tested. If she comes back clean, then she can laugh in the face of all the doubters (including the merely skeptical, such as me).

Means nothing. There are many who got through the testing and later admitted they were indeed using. Marion Jones is a prime example.

Quite frankly I think all the top contenders in the big events are using performance enhancing substances.

The Chinese are known for doping, specially in their swimming program. There is no doubt in my mind that Ye is not all natural.

Cyclists have been beating drug tests for decades.
Read Willy Voet's "Breaking the Chain" for an eye-opener on how they were doing it in the 80's & 90's.

Well, they beat the tests by not getting caught for the banned substances. the IOC and other Governing bodies put out a list annually, this list says these drugs are banned, the athletes go take what is not on the list, but just as enhancing.

Of course my info only comes from one of the racers, who said it is no real secret, accept to the press and rest of the world, but to the riders, IOC, etc, common knowledge.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

the IOC and other Governing bodies put out a list annually, this list says these drugs are banned, the athletes go take what is not on the list, but just as enhancing.

Nope. Not that simple. Lots of workarounds:
- Micro-dosing to keeps levels below detection threshold.
- Diuretics and/or drinking lots of water to flush out the system.
- Saline injections just before the tests to dilute the blood.
- Sleight of hand tricks worthy of any magician to substitute urine samples.
- Social engineering.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

the IOC and other Governing bodies put out a list annually, this list says these drugs are banned, the athletes go take what is not on the list, but just as enhancing.

- Social engineering.

Well, this was an admission by a racer, he was open about it and witnessed it daily.

Your other items sure, they happen, but they are the smaller percentage compared to the open doping he mentioned.

Then each year the list is modified to add the new stuff.

Point, lets just drop the pretense, let the Olympic be what the have really become: a big dick measurement, and allow any thing and every thing. Call it the "Unlimited Olympics" and we let Dr. Moreau like science have a ball! (or three, if it is advantageous)

Matt

Well, this was an admission by a racer, he was open about it and witnessed it daily.

Willy Voet was not a racer; He was a soigneur. i.e. he was the guy who *managed* the doping program for Team Festina.

Willy Voet was not a racer; He was a soigneur. i.e. he was the guy who *managed* the doping program for Team Festina.

? I said a racer admitted how they did it openly, you pointed out the sneaky guys, I said sure they do that too. What is this our big dick measurement moment?

Matt

>Are you Americans really that fucked up

Oh yes. And getting beat at the Olympics isn't the half of it.

Are you Americans really that fucked up

No more than the rest of the world. And given how much of the world looks to us for help; likes to try to drag us down; compares themselves to us, and; posts on our forums (:D) I'm guessing we're actually a bit less f'd up than others.

The girl did something that was highly unusual; even for her. To question whether something unusual caused it is only logical. Drawing conclusions without facts is not.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

- Social engineering.

None of the above will alter the results of blood or urine tests. :S

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

>No more than the rest of the world.

Also agreed. We are indeed fucked up - but that's because people in general are, not because there's anything specific to the US that causes fuck-up-ability.

>The girl did something that was highly unusual; even for her.

Yep. And she beat out 200 other countries as well.