skinnay

God Hates Chick-fil-A

It's not about religion. It's about civil rights. They don't want Chick-fil-a in their town because they don't want to support bigots who would violate the civil rights of gays.

Has Chick-fil-A banned any Homosexual patrons from eating at any of their franchise locations? Has a Chick-fil-A franchise banned any Homosexuals from applying for jobs? Has a Chick-fil-A franchise harassed or fired any Homosexuals for their sexual orientation? Exactly what civil rights have been violated? Or do you believe in "Guilty until proven innocent" and "the only free speech I believe in, is when I agree with what is being said".

Chic-fil-a's owner strongly believes that same sex marriage should be banned. People who feel that banning same sex marriage violates the civil rights of LGBT couples have every right to boycott his business for that. It has nothing to do with religion even though he uses his religious belief as justification. I didn't say that chic-fil-a has banned or harassed homos. However, based on his very strongly worded statements, it seems reasonable to believe that he would if he could get away with it. ;)

All that happened here was that the Head Honcho of Chick-fil-A exercised his free speech saying "He does not agree with same sex marriage". You have the right to disagree with his views of the world, but he has not committed any hate crimes and so far he has not violated anybody's civil rights.

I can't argue with that.

To allow politicians to decide who can and who can not open up a business based on someone's religious beliefs and/or free speech is a slippery slope you do not want to go down. Let the market decide whether or not Chick-fil-A franchises can be viable in all their new locations.

All they're asking for is a non-discrimination policy before they grant approval. Since non-discrimination is the law of the land, they shouldn't have a problem with that. I'm not a lawyer, but my guess is that city councils can do this legally.

I do agree that we need to keep a close eye on what politicians do.

Muslims hate gays too. I guess no more kabobs for you.

As I already said, it's not about religion. It's about civil rights. Anyone, regardless of their religious beliefs, who feels strongly about denying gays their civil rights deserves to be boycotted.

Got it. So no more kabobs or falafel?

All they're asking for is a non-discrimination policy before they grant approval. Since non-discrimination is the law of the land, they shouldn't have a problem with that. I'm not a lawyer, but my guess is that city councils can do this legally.

I do agree that we need to keep a close eye on what politicians do.

It's already been said though. Chik-Fil-A doesn't fire or not hire based on sexual orientation. They don't refuse service to gays. They legally can't. They even have the token "Chik-Fil-A does not discriminate in employment decisions based on any factor protected by Federal, State, or Local law." They have a non-discrimination policy and while I am very pro equal rights, I think Boston's Mayor was way out of line and could use a reminder on what it is within his power to prohibit. I agree with the "let the market decide" comment made.

Besides, they aren't by any means the only company to have donated to those causes or have higher ups saying these things.

Personally, I just want a chicken sandwich and some waffle fries ;)
well...I was going skydiving anyway. let's go.
Earn your pancakes.

This quote from Chicago first ward alderman Joe Moreno was more what I had in mind when I mentioned the intolerance of those who hate intolerance: On Wednesday, Moreno did not dispute that Cathy had the right to say what he said. But, Moreno said, “There are consequences for freedom of speech (and) in this case the consequences are... you’re not going to have your first free-standing restaurant in Chicago.”
Unless he was seriously misquoted, he didn't say there were consequences for discrimination, he said there are consequences for freedom of speech. Now that's the way to stand up for people's rights.
You don't have to outrun the bear.

Wednesday, 1 Aug 12, Chick-fil-A Day.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

I can see a massive movement of false christians running out to support a fast food operation that is managed by bigoted assholes.

The false christians go against the beliefs and values they claim to believe in. Not that there is any news in that. Using religion as a bludgeon to try to force conformity is par for the course.

Is the moronic fool who started this whole kerfluffle aware of the parts of the bible that go into great detail about how to manage a polygamous marriage and household? Just how many wives is it OK for a "CHRISTIAN" man allowed to have? Dozens to hundreds, based on the teachings of the bible and the lifestyles of some of the famous folks in it. How about the parts that document in great detail how to aquire and manage slaves?

Roy Zimmerman nailed it in this tune -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dj0fJTqeSi4

Oh yeah, there are major parts of the bible that "christians" don't believe in any more, unless, of course, they are looking for passages that support their bigoted world views. Then those parts actually apply, but only for the cherry-picked phrases and sentences quoted in support of the bigotry. The rest can still be safely ignored.

False "christians" will have a lot to answer for when they meet their maker. I sure hope purgatory is as unpleasant as advertised.

Terms you need to understand to give your rants depth and meaning:

Old Testament
New Testament
Purgatory
Christian

I've got my eye on you. :)

Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

Muslims hate gays too. I guess no more kabobs for you.

As I already said, it's not about religion. It's about civil rights. Anyone, regardless of their religious beliefs, who feels strongly about denying gays their civil rights deserves to be boycotted.

absolutely, by those individuals that feel strongly about it

but not by legislation, that's absolutely wrong also - if you turned the tables on this and a governor/mayor/president disallowed a company that was actively in support, it would also be wrong.

(I tend to pick my food by the quality of the food and the service. I think activism in making market choices is a bit silly, but YMMV. Frankly, if we were all that way, nobody would eat anywhere - there's reallly no opinion out there that people won't get bent about. We'd only support those bland business owners that have no opinions on anything. Or those too cowardly to speak up on topics. But I suspect there would even be those that would boycott business for that reason too.:P

So I don't go to that particular restaurant because I didn't enjoy the meal the one time I went. I don't think I could care any less what the individual beliefs of the Owner are one way or the other and if I knew, it wouldn't affect me much. )

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I can see a massive movement of false christians running out to support a fast food operation that is managed by bigoted assholes.

the rest of the typical rant aside. I can see this happening also. And what a waste of time. I doubt every single employee of the company deserves punishment or reward just because the one guy the owns the biz actually had an opinion no one cares about

the only people out of line here are the mayors of Chicago and Boston I assume - abuse of power is wrong no matter if the cause is just or twisted

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Although, for scenery, you might want to go to Hooters.

Just sayin'.

Whoops! Hooter's will not hire homosexual waiters. They took that stand a few years ago.

Eh the funny thing is there's probably just as many people flocking to support Chik Fil A as there are flocking to boycott it. I don't really have interest in doing either.

I more meant that since it's a fast food chain, I don't really understand why they felt the need to do this and not just make food, but then again, Chik-Fil-A and I clearly disagree on a lot of things.
well...I was going skydiving anyway. let's go.
Earn your pancakes.

I made it a point to stop at Chik-fil-A this morning for 2 breakfast biscuits. They were much better than the other fast food places around here.

I support the rights of free speech in this country.

What ever happened to

"I disagree with you but I will fight to the death to defend your right to say it"?

Now, it's nothing but crybabies whining and throwing a fit everytime someone says something they don't like. Time for some people to grow up if they want to be taken seriously.

"I disagree with you but I will fight to the death to defend your right to say it"?

It has been replaced with either:

I disagree with you, you stupid left wing liberal pinko communist, you are killing this country.

or

I disagree with you, you moronic right wing, rePUBican sheeple, you are killing this country

I made it a point to stop at Chik-fil-A this morning for 2 breakfast biscuits. They were much better than the other fast food places around here.

I support the rights of free speech in this country.

What ever happened to

Now, it's nothing but crybabies whining and throwing a fit everytime someone says something they don't like. Time for some people to grow up if they want to be taken seriously.

In the end, this will be the best advertising they will ever have

And to any right wing or left wing mayor of official, who tries to stop a business or intimidate said business because of the owner beliefs, go screw yourself

Imagine the uproar had some mayor or governor had tried to stop a business from coming into his town because that owner supported the ruling of Roe v Wade
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

I know. Imagine the uproar if city tried to stop some Muslims from opening a community center!

Oh wait, that assault on the 1st Amendment was okay.:S

I don't think a city should stop Chik-Fil-A from opening restaurants, but I certainly support the right of individuals to speak out against their bigotry.

- Dan G

Do you have a quote from the Chicago alderman or the Boston Mayor stating this? Because it wasn't what I read? I do believe that your are correct that the city could allow or disallow based on such a policy--if I remember correctly San Francisco required companies doing business there to provide partner benefits.

However, I think it is a slippery slope to allow government to grant or not grant business approval (which should be an administrative process) based on the political opinions of the owner (and not on the company policies).

I don't eat chic-fil-a because they make a crappy, soggy chicken sandwich.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

I didn't realize I was in English class, nor do I really give a fuck.

Capisci?

Don't get pissed at me just because you can't get your quotations right...

nor do I really give a fuck

Great, then make like a tree and get out of here...

capisce?

:D

:D:D

I know. Imagine the uproar if city tried to stop some Muslims from opening a community center!

Oh wait, that assault on the 1st Amendment was okay.:S

I don't think a city should stop Chik-Fil-A from opening restaurants, but I certainly support the right of individuals to speak out against their bigotry.

The problem is here is that those who are least tollerant are the most vocal and vicious

I too support what you do

But supporting traditional marriage does not make anyone a bigot
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

But supporting traditional marriage does not make anyone a bigot

I suspect that depends on the manner in which they show their support

restaurants, but I certainly support the right of individuals to speak out against their bigotry.

I'm not sure how the 'restaurant' is suddenly a bigot. the owner might be if he implements policy based on that opinion, but just having the opinion one way or the other is harmless.