skinnay

God Hates Chick-fil-A

These folks that claim to have no faith puzzle me and have kept me in a quandary for a several years. The only explanation I can deduce is that the faithless have never taken a true risk. That is to say they have never ventured further than what their own minds could conceive possible.

One of the key concepts of Logic is definition. There are various types of definition - lexical, legal, technical, precising, and so forth - such that two people can be using the same word without ever touching on the same subject.

Thus, when you use the term "faith," it is with a specific meaning that you do not take care to denote.

One can be completely devoid of superstition and still be capable of many versions of "faith." Faith can denote confidence without ever crossing the line into belief.

One example is, say, skydiving. One need not believe in Odin or Gichimanitou to have faith that their properly packed parachute will operate properly if given the opportunity to do so. Does one take a "real risk" in relying on said faith? You bet your life.

Oh, and quade, logic is flawed because it is a construct of mortal thinking.

This statement demonstrates a profound lack of comprehension of what is Logic. The fact that you use an electronic computer to post such a claim is exquisitely ironic on many levels. It demonstrates faith in applied logic on an operational basis.

BSBD,

Winsor

In reference to your first comment. You defined faith in terms of what the mind can conceive possible and or probable.

I am referring to faith in the unknown.

As to the second statement, ah shucks, you covered for quade.

It probably will not be a surprise for you to learn that in six years of college and university education, I cannot recall ever having one formal course in logic. The subject was referred to here and there of course.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

..Not hedonistic, just simple logic.
If the after life is better, then why not just get on with it now?

Mindlessly flawed logic.

Explain. How is the logic "flawed."

Please use actual logic in your answer.

0 + 0 != 0 ?

Nobody plus nothing equals everything?
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

0 + 0 != 0 ?

Nobody plus nothing equals everything?

Now that makes sense to me.

Disclaimer: It's not mine and I know not the original author. It's been quoted a myriad of times by so many different people. If nothing else it makes one ponder.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Uh huh, then why are you coming into this so late?

Contrary to popular belief, I don't sit at my computer 24/7/365 and follow every, single, picayune post?

Come in "late"?!? I made the second post in this thread, buddy/guy/friend.

So you just heard that Rahm and other politicians were trying to block Chik-fil-A from opening up more restaurants in their cities? If so then coming in this late is understandable.

It probably will not be a surprise for you to learn that in six years of college and university education, I cannot recall ever having one formal course in logic. The subject was referred to here and there of course.

In that case, it is likely that the bulk of what you think is Logic is anywhere from slightly to completely wrong.

For example, when someone says disparagingly that something is "just semantics," they are often overlooking Semantics' key role as the study of meaning in the attempt to claim something meaningless.

Similarly dismissing Rhetoric, the study of argument (and no, I do not mean the Monty Python variant) and its structure, can serve to bolster a good deal of nonsense.

Logic is math, pure and simple. It is not "good" or "bad" in and of itself, but its applications are broad.

A particularly good treatment of the subject is Introduction to Logic by Irving M. Copi; it is comprehensive, but not intended to be a light vacation read.

A perusal of Wikipedia entries on the various subjects would cover the bases, but there is a lot to be said for following a through treatment from soup to nuts.

For a Logician to hear people's idea of "Logic" is akin to a Parisian hearing someone say "pardon my French." There is more to it than just a turn of phrase.

BSBD,

Winsor

In case you didn't notice, the verbs in your two distinct statements need to be consistent to sense the full affect they were designed to produce...

Science flies us to the moon.
Religion flies us into buildings.

or

Science sends us atom bombs for breakfast.
Religion sends us to hell.

Capisce?
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

The guy who owns Chick-fil-a is known to have strong religious beliefs. Doesn't bother me, cause we have Zaxby's nearby.
I get a bigger kick out of the politicians who don't want Chick-fil-a in their town because they don't agree with the owners beliefs. I could swear I heard Rahm Emmanuel say, "That boy's different fum us. We don't want him in ar town."
We can always count on the enemies of intolerance to show us what intolerance looks like.

It's not about religion. It's about civil rights. They don't want Chick-fil-a in their town because they don't want to support bigots who would violate the civil rights of gays.

Once the proselytizers insert religion into the matter, then the whole argument becomes hopelessly conflated with religion. Tacky, indeed.

I didn't realize I was in English class, nor do I really give a fuck.

Capisci?

Don't get pissed at me just because you can't get your quotations right...

nor do I really give a fuck

Great, then make like a tree and get out of here...

capisce?

:D

It probably will not be a surprise for you to learn that in six years of college and university education, I cannot recall ever having one formal course in logic.

Not only does it not surprise me, it explains a great many things.

One of the great failings of our education system is not requiring enough courses in how to think as opposed to simply regurgitate.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Speaking of regurgitation....my thoughts are quotes?
:S

I say what I think. I type what my fat fingers deliver.
:D

ya right...like you invented that saying, lol. (Talk to the hand, bro)

In case you didn't notice, the verbs in your two distinct statements need to be consistent to sense the full affect they were designed to produce...

or

Capisce?

Without science, there's no airplane.

In that case, it is likely that the bulk of what you think is Logic is anywhere from slightly to completely wrong.

For example, when someone says disparagingly that something is "just semantics," they are often overlooking Semantics' key role as the study of meaning in the attempt to claim something meaningless.

Similarly dismissing Rhetoric, the study of argument (and no, I do not mean the Monty Python variant) and its structure, can serve to bolster a good deal of nonsense.

Logic is math, pure and simple. It is not "good" or "bad" in and of itself, but its applications are broad.

A particularly good treatment of the subject is Introduction to Logic by Irving M. Copi; it is comprehensive, but not intended to be a light vacation read.

A perusal of Wikipedia entries on the various subjects would cover the bases, but there is a lot to be said for following a through treatment from soup to nuts.

For a Logician to hear people's idea of "Logic" is akin to a Parisian hearing someone say "pardon my French." There is more to it than just a turn of phrase.

BSBD,

Winsor

I never think about logic except when it pops up in a SC reply or post.

You are a learned man with a critical eye for exactness. You express yourself as such consistently here in SC. You grade posts and responses as if they were graduate level or professional papers.

Me, I just blast stuff out as it comes to my mind.

The only thing I am consistent on is Jesus Christ and Him crucified. The rest is psychedelic, pun intended.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

I wonder how much other garbage has been pumped into our minds either directly or subliminally that define our thoughts without even realizing it to the point that we actually believe it was an original thought?

It's not about religion. It's about civil rights. They don't want Chick-fil-a in their town because they don't want to support bigots who would violate the civil rights of gays.

Has Chick-fil-A banned any Homosexual patrons from eating at any of their franchise locations? Has a Chick-fil-A franchise banned any Homosexuals from applying for jobs? Has a Chick-fil-A franchise harassed or fired any Homosexuals for their sexual orientation? Exactly what civil rights have been violated? Or do you believe in "Guilty until proven innocent" and "the only free speech I believe in, is when I agree with what is being said".

All that happened here was that the Head Honcho of Chick-fil-A exercised his free speech saying "He does not agree with same sex marriage". You have the right to disagree with his views of the world, but he has not committed any hate crimes and so far he has not violated anybody's civil rights.

To allow politicians to decide who can and who can not open up a business based on someone's religious beliefs and/or free speech is a slippery slope you do not want to go down. Let the market decide whether or not Chick-fil-A franchises can be viable in all their new locations.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

or

Capisce?

Without science, there's no airplane.

Without religion there's no hell.