ChangoLanzao

If you think this is just another meaningless election ...

Some Americans view elections as a time to express their disappointment or even their anger at the shortcomings of the major party candidates closest to their own positions, a tendency particularly noticeable on the Left.

In recent decades, this behavior has contributed to a string of Democratic defeats at the presidential level – Hubert Humphrey in 1968, Jimmy Carter in 1980 and Al Gore in 2000 – as well as key setbacks in Congress in 1980, 1994 and 2010.

And, with its disproportionate prevalence on the American Left, this voting pattern now threatens to cost Barack Obama a second term. Some on the Left feel no compunction about aiding in Obama’s defeat even if it means installing Mitt Romney, an unabashed one-percenter in the White House.

Romney also would likely be accompanied by a Republican-controlled Congress with a mandate to complete the dismantling of the New Deal at home and, abroad, to extend the Afghan War and possibly start a new war with Iran. So the question is: should politics be an expression of your feelings or your expectation of consequences?

Lefties will want to read more:
CLICKY

Regardless of whether one is liberal, moderate or conservative: so long as any president has the power to (a) appoint all federal judges and SCOTUS justices, and (b) wage war, there will never be any presidential election that is meaningless.

For myself, that means that even if I think both major presidential candidates are (otherwise) Tweedledum and Tweedledee, I always vote, and I don't waste my vote on 3rd party candidates.

For myself, that means that even if I think both major presidential candidates are (otherwise) Tweedledum and Tweedledee, I always vote, and I don't waste my vote on 3rd party candidates.

As somebody who has frequently voted for 3rd party candidates I'd defend that as a perfectly reasonable and respectable choice. I have usually found that I could not bear to vote for either major party candidate but could find a third party that it would not offend my conscience to vote for.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

As somebody who has frequently voted for 3rd party candidates I'd defend that as a perfectly reasonable and respectable choice. I have usually found that I could not bear to vote for either major party candidate but could find a third party that it would not offend my conscience to vote for.

That's fine, if you intend your vote to be mainly a statement of principle rather than helping affect who ultimately gets elected. But it is what it is, and it ain't what it ain't.

Some Americans view elections as a time to express their disappointment or even their anger at the shortcomings of the major party candidates closest to their own positions, a tendency particularly noticeable on the Left.

In recent decades, this behavior has contributed to a string of Democratic defeats at the presidential level – Hubert Humphrey in 1968, Jimmy Carter in 1980 and Al Gore in 2000 – as well as key setbacks in Congress in 1980, 1994 and 2010.

And, with its disproportionate prevalence on the American Left, this voting pattern now threatens to cost Barack Obama a second term. Some on the Left feel no compunction about aiding in Obama’s defeat even if it means installing Mitt Romney, an unabashed one-percenter in the White House.

Romney also would likely be accompanied by a Republican-controlled Congress with a mandate to complete the dismantling of the New Deal at home and, abroad, to extend the Afghan War and possibly start a new war with Iran. So the question is: should politics be an expression of your feelings or your expectation of consequences?

CLICKY

This article is nothing more than a mirror of the articles run by the Right saying don't vote your conscience, don't do what you think is the right thing, don't vote third party it will but the other guy in office!

Sadly, we are reduced to the lesser of two evils vote and both sides play it to the hilt! Essentially admitting they aren't the best, but the other guy is worse!

Matt

PS. The Budget video was spot on with the numbers and the why's, hardly hogwash.
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

CLICKY

This article is nothing more than a mirror of the articles run by the Right saying don't vote your conscience, don't do what you think is the right thing, don't vote third party it will but the other guy in office!

Sadly, we are reduced to the lesser of two evils vote and both sides play it to the hilt! Essentially admitting they aren't the best, but the other guy is worse!

My hope is that undecided progressives who read and think about the content of the article will be persuaded. To be perfectly honest, I don't give a rats ass if right-wingers who read the article disagree with it's premises. If they go ahead and vote for a third party candidate because they don't think there's a difference between Romney and Obama, we'll all be better off.

I've heard Romney has 666 tatooed behind his right ear.

I didn't know that.

He and I were dancing naked around the bonfire at midnight on the summer solstice and I asked him who he was going to vote for. He said he was voting for the virgin we had just sacrificed. Go figure.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

I didn't know that.

He and I were dancing naked around the bonfire at midnight on the summer solstice and I asked him who he was going to vote for. He said he was voting for the virgin we had just sacrificed. Go figure.

I thought he only danced in his magical underwear.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

Was this before or after you smeared freshly killed puppy blood all over your bodies?
We are all engines of karma

That's reserved for the Winter Solstice. Keep it straight.

Newbies....

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

Matt

PS. The Budget video was spot on with the numbers and the why's, hardly hogwash.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTJ0qYR6YFo
You stop breathing for a few minutes and everyone jumps to conclusions.

I reject and oppose your attempt to get back on topic.

I didn't know that.

I was there as well, but unable to attend the dance, to busy selling Devils Food Cake to all the party goer's. Nothing like making some evil profit:D

I'm sure the Mittster would understand and approve.