kallend

ACA upheld

Rand Paul's comments are laughable. "just because a few people say it's Constitutional doesn't make it so".
A few people meaning the SCOTUS.:S

sounds like he is as squirrely as his dad. My question is, does the mandate have to be rewritten to reflect "tax" language and if so does it have to go through approval again?

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Or better yet will my insurance go down?
In theory it should right?
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

Rand Paul's comments are laughable. "just because a few people say it's Constitutional doesn't make it so".

sounds like he is as squirrely as his dad. My question is, does the mandate have to be rewritten to reflect "tax" language and if so does it have to go through approval again?

No.

All the Supremes said is that the mandate is constitutional under the taxing authority provision of the constitution. Doesn't make it a tax (in fact they go out of their way to say that it isn't according to the Anti Injunctions Act), or mean any rewrite is necessary.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

>Or better yet will my insurance go down? In theory it should right?

In theory it will go down slightly or (more likely) stay the same. It will tend to go down because the general health of the insured population will rise. Since it will happen gradually it may not drop faster than inflation.

No.

All the Supremes said is that the mandate is constitutional under the taxing authority provision of the constitution. Doesn't make it a tax (in fact they go out of their way to say that it isn't according to the Anti Injunctions Act), or mean any rewrite is necessary.

No, they said the mandate under the commerce clause was not constitutional

The SCOTUS did accept that it is a tax argument

Look at Ginsberg’s opinion. She is pissed that they ruled as they did related to the CC.

It is a tax

The biggest increase ever seen
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

This is from CNN website (regarding those currently insured) but Im not understanding

Because the requirement remains for people to have or buy insurance, the revenue stream designed to help pay for the law remains in place. So insured Americans may be avoiding a spike in premiums that could have resulted if the high court had tossed out the individual mandate but left other requirements on insurers in place.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/06/28/politics/supreme-court-health-effects/index.html?c=mobile-homepage-t

Correct.

The court also limited what the fed could push on the states as far as medicare goes

This is a big deal and is going unnoticed for the most part right now

The states have the right to opt out of the ACA law regarding medicare

In effect , the court issed a limiting ruling against the fed

It also made it clear that the CC could NOT be used for mandates

Anything like this comes up again there will be no debate as it can only be a tax
Abraham Lincoln

My understanding is that the states would lose ALL medicaid funding should they do that. While being required to provide it at the same time.

I'm thinking some of the legal battles haven't even started.
Wasn't it 23 states that sued the first time around???

How the HELL is California going to pay for theirs????
:|

The court found problems with the law's expansion of Medicaid, but even there said the expansion could proceed as long as the federal government does not threaten to withhold states' entire Medicaid allotment if they don't take part in the law's extension.

Abraham Lincoln

>Maybe it's just me, but wasn't Kennedy supposed to be the swing?

I guess. He's a conservative judge (appointed under Bush) but had been asking some pretty pointed questions about the mandate i.e. "is it really a mandate or is it a tax?" during arguments.

How the HELL is California going to pay for theirs????

The Fed is going to bail them out, meaning we all pay for California's problems.

And i for one forgive California!
After all the are the home of the fake tittis and I <3 fake tities!

Any one argue with not likeing fake tities needs to hand in their man card!

But ok that BS aside!

OK so we are all now covered under this "tax" much like SS and medicair and medicaid.
So will the cost of health care go down or up or sideways?

As someone put it, my health care costs wont' go down...but will the costs of drugs go down?
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

No.

No, they said the mandate under the commerce clause was not constitutional

The SCOTUS did accept that it is a tax argument

The mandate and its attached penalty are a tax for purposes of its constitutionality, but not for the Anti-Injunction Act. If it were a tax for AIA purposes, this case would not have been decided re the mandate.

So it is and isn't a tax at the same time.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

>Any one argue with not likeing fake tities needs to hand in their man card!

I won't argue with you liking fake titties!

>As someone put it, my health care costs wont' go down...but will the costs of drugs go down?

Probably not. Drugs are already pretty cheap. Indeed the government has mandated that some drugs be sold so cheaply that now manufacturers don't want to make them. There is a serious shortage of "old" cancer drugs for example (drugs that work but are off-patent) because government mandates on maximum pricing under Medicare and Medicaid.

However, for newer drugs, prices will likely drop, since overall more people will be using them - so pharms will be able to recover their costs with higher quantities.

>Or better yet will my insurance go down? In theory it should right?

In theory it will go down slightly or (more likely) stay the same. It will tend to go down because the general health of the insured population will rise.

Since lifestyle choices are, by far, the biggest factor in most people's health, I don't think having more insured people will make much of a difference in their general health.

OK so we are all now covered under this "tax" much like SS and medicair and medicaid.
So will the cost of health care go down or up or sideways?

Down for people with pre-existing conditions who are not covered by employer plans.

Down for people too old for low rates but too young for Medicare.

Up for everyone else. For instance, insurance companies are required to charge young people at least 1/3 what they charge old people.

As someone put it, my health care costs wont' go down...but will the costs of drugs go down?

Heck no.

The Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America is a powerful lobbying organization with a revolving door for compliant Congress Creatures (work to pass something like the Medicare Prescription Drug Act which created Medicare Part D which funnels $100B/year into the industry and they'll make you president with a reported $2.5M/year pay check as of 2010). They have a vested interest in keeping prices high.

The health insurance companies also now have incentives to buy more expensive drugs. The law requires 80% of medical insurance premiums to go towards actual medical care. The remaining 20% of twice is much is still twice as much as they were getting; so you can expect insurers to favor new patented drugs which cost more than the old less expensive generics they used to steer customers to.

Of course this will be "better" for the patients. Just more expensive.