billvon

Deniers getting pretty desperate

Interesting article in Popular Science this month. As their claims are refuted, and their numbers dwindle, deniers are turning to intimidation and physical threats. Some highlights:

=============================
“Weird” is perhaps the mildest way to describe the growing number of threats and acts of intimidation that climate scientists face. A climate modeler at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory answered a late-night knock to find a dead rat on his doorstep and a yellow Hummer speeding away. An MIT hurricane researcher found his inbox flooded daily for two weeks last January with hate mail and threats directed at him and his wife. And in Australia last year, officials relocated several climatologists to a secure facility after climate-change skeptics unleashed a barrage of vandalism, noose brandishing and threats of sexual attacks on the scientists’ children.

. . . .

“I can delete the hate mail I got calling me a ‘Nazi bitch whore climatebecile,’” Hayhoe says, “but responding to nuisance lawsuits and investigations takes up enormous amounts of time that could be better spent teaching, mentoring, researching, doing my job.”

“When I get an e-mail that mentions my child and a guillotine,” Hayhoe says, “I sometimes want to pull a blanket over my head. The intent of all this is to discourage scientists. As a woman and a mother, I have to say that sometimes it does achieve its goal. There are many times when I wonder if it’s worth it.”

. . . .

“There’s really only about 25 of us doing this,” Steve Milloy says, shortly after sitting down at Morton’s, a Washington, D.C., steakhouse favored by lawyers and lobbyists. “A core group of skeptics. It’s a ragtag bunch, very Continental Army.” Milloy, a Fox News commentator and former tobacco-industry advocate, runs a website called JunkScience.com that is an outlet for attacks on those he calls “global-warming alarmists.” Many of those who question mainstream climate science resent being called deniers; they say it unfairly equates them with Holocaust deniers. They prefer doubters, skeptics or realists. “Me, I just stick with denier,” Milloy says. “I’m happy to be a denier.”

Milloy is dressed in a striped pink button-down shirt and khaki pants, classic Potomac prep. He moved into climate denial in the 1990s as funding from the tobacco lobby began to dry up. At the time, conservative and libertarian think tanks were just starting to take aim at climate science. Milloy, who has received funding from entities controlled by oil billionaires Charles and David Koch, helps them get their message to the masses.

. . . . .

In April, Tennessee lawmakers passed a measure that allows teachers to question accepted theories on evolution and climate change in the classroom. Science advocates were also stunned by a recently disclosed initiative to design a school curriculum that questions climate science. Science educators say they’re increasingly worried that climate could become the same kind of flash point as evolution. The question science advocates ask now is, how do they turn the conversation back to the science?

. . . .

As with tobacco, the more consistent the scientific story, the more difficult it will become for skeptics to reject anthropogenic climate change. That point was driven home after the Charles Koch Foundation donated $150,000 toward a study by Richard Muller, a physicist at the University of California at Berkeley who was, at the time, a darling of the climate-skeptic community. Muller spent two years investigating claims by global-warming deniers that temperature rises verified by multiple studies were skewed because of flawed analysis, unreliable weather stations and the effect of urban heat islands. Muller and his research team (which included Saul Perlmutter, the joint winner of the 2011 Nobel Prize in Physics) compiled 1.6 billion readings at 39,000 sites and examined other historical data.

Muller’s conclusion was most likely not what the Koch brothers had in mind. Last October, his team announced that the global mean temperature on land had increased by 1.6 degrees since 1950, a result that matched the numbers accepted by the mainstream climate-science community. “The skeptics raised valid points, and everybody should have been a skeptic two years ago,” Muller told me. “Now we have confidence that the temperature rises previously reported had been done without bias. Global warming is real.”

Perhaps the most telling bit of the article has to do with Inhofe, the denier who has used his position on the Senate to try to intimidate scientists he disagrees with. He's backpedaling like crazy, and claimed that he never did that now:

Oklahoma senator James Inhofe, the ranking member of the Senate’s Environment and Public Works Committee, released a report in 2010 that named 17 prominent climate scientists, including Mann, who, he argued, may have engaged in “potentially criminal behavior.” Inhofe outlined three laws and four regulations that he said the scientists may have violated, including the Federal False Statements Act—which, the report noted, could be punishable with imprisonment of up to five years. . . .

Many of the scientists I’ve spoken with say that no single act of harassment or intimidation has stung more than Inhofe’s “list of 17,” the call for the congressional investigation of prominent climate scientists. Mann, I tell Inhofe, said it “smacked of modern-day McCarthyism.”

“I’m not the guy that called for investigations, I don’t think,” Inhofe says. He quickly glances at his communications director, Matt Dempsey. “Did I ever call for investigations?” I study Inhofe’s face for a clue as to whether he’s joking—he brags about the episode in his book. It’s clear that he is not.
==============================

By the end of the interview he said "ok maybe I did."

Yes. Many have turned out to be hoaxes. But this does not mean that there have no been threats. it also doesn't mean that it has not come from the other side (i.e., Ben santer saying he'd be tempted to "beat the crrap" out of Pat Michaels if he sees him at a scientific meeting"

What's remarkable seems to be the lack of organization. Saying "deniers gettign pretty desperate" somewhat lumps in. Most would consider me a "denier" and, no, nobody has accused me of making any threats.

So I'm a bit concerned about the post, bill. There's a "lumping in" that just isn't like you.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

>But this does not mean that there have no been threats. it also doesn't mean that it
>has not come from the other side . . .

I couldn't parse that double (triple?) negative, but if the point is that some threats have come from the alarmist side as well, I agree.

>Most would consider me a "denier" and, no, nobody has accused me of making any
>threats.

I wouldn't consider you a denier, because you don't deny the science behind climate change. I _would_ call Milloy a denier. Not only is he paid to deny the science, he identifies himself as a denier.

The SF Chronicle most recently (Thursday?) posted about the latest high seas scare - that the waters off California will rise by 6 ..... inches by 2030. Yet somehow this is nearly as disastrous as the earlier much greater height differentials.

The problem of course, is 6" doesn't scare people into action. The 100% denial approach may be faltering, but the medicine is pretty rough - like taking chemo for a perceived skin rash.

>The SF Chronicle most recently (Thursday?) posted about the latest high seas
>scare - that the waters off California will rise by 6 ..... inches by 2030.

Good, they're getting more realistic. Hopefully awareness about issues like that will allow us to plan for realistic potential issues (like loss of fresh water from the San Joaquin delta, rather than everyone in LA drowning) before they become bigger problems.

clearly another desperate denier.
http://www.torontosun.com/2012/06/22/green-drivel

Two months ago, James Lovelock, the godfather of global warming, gave a startling interview to msnbc.com in which he acknowledged he had been unduly “alarmist” about climate change.

everyone would do well to remember the final point in this article

Finally, about claims “the science is settled” on global warming: “One thing that being a scientist has taught me is that you can never be certain about anything. You never know the truth. You can only approach it and hope to get a bit nearer to it each time. You iterate towards the truth. You don’t know it.”

--
Rob

=============
Two months ago, James Lovelock, the godfather of global warming, gave a startling interview to msnbc.com in which he acknowledged he had been unduly “alarmist” about climate change.
=============

A lot of people have been. And that's unfortunate, because it leads them to buy life preservers instead of planning for our future water supplies.

==========
Finally, about claims “the science is settled” on global warming: “One thing that being a scientist has taught me is that you can never be certain about anything. You never know the truth. You can only approach it and hope to get a bit nearer to it each time. You iterate towards the truth. You don’t know it.”
==========

Definitely true. We can't even say with 100% certainty that smoking causes cancer, or that shooting someone in the head will kill them. But over time we get better and better at predicting what the likely results of such actions will be.

they're getting more realistic.

"More realistic" is an interesting term. Considering that the sea level in California hasn't risen at all in 30 years it's still not what I would call "realistic."

Here's the sea level trend data for San Francisco. http://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/sltrends/sltrends_station.shtml?stnid=9414290%20San%20Francisco,%20CA

Noting in the graph at San Francisco, the sea level increase happened before about 1980. (The 30-year trend is the de facto standard, and yes, it happens to coincide a lot with the strong El Nino of 82-83 which is seen on the graph). They're talking about .15 meters since 1900 (almost exactly 6 inches) with all of it before 1980. So a trend of 7-8 inches in a century was what we had before 1980, but flat for the last thirty. The interannual variation is trending down since the early 90's (with, of course, outlier 1998 a big exception). http://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/sltrends/residual1980.shtml?stnid=9414290

And yet, a prediction that 6 inches will be seen by 2030 when the available data shows flat or even DOWNWARD trends? 6 inches may be more realistic, but I'm not finding realism based any raw data.

clearly another desperate denier.
http://www.torontosun.com/2012/06/22/green-drivel

everyone would do well to remember the final point in this article

You omitted the part that said: "Lovelock still believes anthropogenic global warming is occurring and that mankind must lower its greenhouse gas emissions, but says it’s now clear the doomsday predictions, including his own (and Al Gore’s) were incorrect."

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

>Noting in the graph at San Francisco, the sea level increase happened before about
>1980.

?? 1982 and 1999 both showed record highs. And the minima have been increasing as well. You're not looking at the interannual variation chart, are you? The linear sea level trends (and seasonal variations) have been removed from that chart. In engineering terms it's been bandpassed filtered.

You omitted the part that said: "Lovelock still believes anthropogenic global warming is occurring and that mankind must lower its greenhouse gas emissions, but says it’s now clear the doomsday predictions, including his own (and Al Gore’s) were incorrect."

oh... I'm SO sorry for not quoting the entire article, and instead including the link to the source after quoting a paragraph that gives an idea about the tone of the article.

Oh wait... no. I'm not sorry.

Why do you think I was trying to hide anything? If I'd quoted everything except the bit you refer to, and not included the link, you'd have a leg to stand on. As it is, you're just looking kind of knee-jerk. What happened? You're usually so logical and level headed. Wait, that's bill. No, this is about right for you then.
--
Rob

oh... I'm SO sorry for not quoting the entire article, and instead including the link to the source after quoting a paragraph that gives an idea about the tone of the article.

Oh wait... no. I'm not sorry.

Why do you think I was trying to hide anything? If I'd quoted everything except the bit you refer to, and not included the link, you'd have a leg to stand on. As it is, you're just looking kind of knee-jerk. What happened? You're usually so logical and level headed. Wait, that's bill. No, this is about right for you then.

You selectively quoted of just one side of his position. I provided balance. Stop being so defensive.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

You are correct. The chart also utilized a 50 year mean (the standard in climatology is thirty year, so this chart will have some additional lag).

Still - when using 1897-2006. the chart itself indicates a sea level rise of 8 inches in 100 years. That's historical trend data.

This seems pretty realistic. As much as I haven't seen much change over 30 years (note - I chose San Francisco at random and Monterey in a prior post because it was actually mentioned in the news report) I can see 8 inches in 100 years as something that is realistic and something that can be handled. It sure as hell is a lot different from what was stated:

(1) Oceans south of MEndocino could see rises from 1.5 inches to a full foot in 18 years. 1.5 inches in 18 years? Okay - that's right at 6 inches per century. 1 foot in 18 years? That's an 800% increase in the trend. Tout that! It sounds like something must be done.
(2) between 4.5 inches and 2 feet by 2050? So their saying that at a minimum the rate will double between 2030 and 2050 but perhaps only increase by 180% at the peak? I mean, two feet in 38 year is kinda silly when we've seen 6-7 inches in the las 100 years.
(3) Between 16 inches and 4.5 feet by 2100, Whoa! So they are calculating up to .6 inches per year (as low as .18 inches per year (still triple the observed).

http://www.sfgate.com/science/article/Global-sea-level-rise-could-hit-California-hard-3657131.php

I'm scratching my head at the methodology. I'm wondering how they can make such a prediction with a margin of error between 16 and 54 inches, but focus on the high.

Scientific method? Perhaps. But where's the data? It's non-existent and contrary to what we have as data. Now I'm one who keeps healthy skepticism of theory, so maybe they're onto something new. But I'm not seeing it

I wouldn't consider you a denier, because you don't deny the science behind climate change. I _would_ call Milloy a denier. Not only is he paid to deny the science, he identifies himself as a denier.

From his own words, he just goes where the money is. Tobacco money dried-up so he moved on to somethg else.

Chuck

>Oceans south of MEndocino could see rises from 1.5 inches to a full foot in 18 years.
>1.5 inches in 18 years? Okay - that's right at 6 inches per century. 1 foot in 18 years?
>That's an 800% increase in the trend. Tout that! It sounds like something must be
>done.

?? Surely you would not want a scientist telling you only the minimum prediction as if it were fact?

One of the primary reasons that that spread is so wide is that we have no idea what people will do. Will people ignore everything about climate science, the risks of pollution and burn as much coal and oil as they can? You're looking at the high side of that number. Will they make a modest effort to reduce CO2 emissions, and continue development of things like EV's, solar and wind, and next generation reactors? Expect the middle of that range. Will we start taking the threat very seriously, and drastically curtail our emissions of CO2? Expect the bottom of that range.

So if you tell scientists what way our society will go, they can give you a better prediction. However predicting what society will do has always been problematic.

>I'm scratching my head at the methodology. I'm wondering how they can make such
>a prediction with a margin of error between 16 and 54 inches, but focus on the high.

That's pretty common in both science and engineering. If you are in the Army Corps of Engineers, and hear that a storm surge can be between 5 and 15 feet above high tide, how high are you going to design that levee to be?

You selectively quoted of just one side of his position. I provided balance. Stop being so defensive.

and you are ASS-uming that was my intention when I really just wan't trying to spam the thread with crap that people could go read on their own. But you leapt to a different conclusion and now we have spammed the thread with bunch of useless crap instead. Maybe next time I'll just quote the entire article plus any comments so you don't have to click on anything. But then you'll hammer me for over-quoting.

wait... you're a professor... it's not right unless it's done your way. (regardless of whether it's actually right or not)

My bad.
--
Rob

One of the primary reasons that that spread is so wide is that we have no idea what people will do.

Correct. But "there's a very remote chance that the sea level will rise 3 feet in the next hundred years" doesn't generate the headlines. The quotes from the scientists aren't about "our minimum predicted is more consistent with observed trends for the last 100 years." They are dire.

Will people ignore everything about climate science, the risks of pollution and burn as much coal and oil as they can?

That's what they've been doing. So let's look at the trend. Ah! I see the trend! The last hundred years! The last 30 years! So we've got evidence of the sea level changes when people are burning fossil fuels left and right. That data was ignored.

Will we start taking the threat very seriously, and drastically curtail our emissions of CO2? Expect the bottom of that range.

We haven't been taking the threat seriously. We've been below the bow the bottom of that range. That's my problem.

It's like predicting a 600% increase in the lung cancer deaths if smoking continues to grow like it is. People would say, "We've got a century of evidence. Why aren't you looking at historical death rates when predicting future death rates?"

So if you tell scientists what way our society will go, they can give you a better prediction.

I'm beginning to question this, as well. Sea level is pretty flat the past 30 years - which is when acceleration should have started. Under the theory, we should be increasing the ice pack in Greenland and Antarctica. But we're not hearing about anything other than "it's melting."

So I'm becoming increasingly bothered by the predictions because they are all over the place. Predictions are we'll see hotter/colder, wetter/drier, snowier/not snowier, more hurricanes/fewer hurricanes, etc.

Such predictions don't breed confidence.

>>Will people ignore everything about climate science, the risks of pollution and burn
>>as much coal and oil as they can?

>That's what they've been doing.

OK, I assume you mean that one can thus predict that will happen in the future as well. If we assume they will continue doing this, then we are at the worst case assessments. Thus there is good reason for scientists to predict the far end of the curve.

>It's like predicting a 600% increase in the lung cancer deaths if smoking continues
>to grow like it is. People would say, "We've got a century of evidence. Why aren't you
>looking at historical death rates when predicting future death rates?"

And they would. If we saw a 100% increase in lung cancer based on going from a 1% to 2% population of smokers, then increasing that population to 7% would indeed entail an increase of 600% if the relationship was linear.

>So I'm becoming increasingly bothered by the predictions because they are all over
>the place. Predictions are we'll see hotter/colder, wetter/drier, snowier/not snowier,
>more hurricanes/fewer hurricanes, etc. Such predictions don't breed confidence.

No, they don't. But if you get your predictions from the popular media, you won't get many accurate predictions anyway.

>So I'm becoming increasingly bothered by the predictions because they are all over
>the place. Predictions are we'll see hotter/colder, wetter/drier, snowier/not snowier,
>more hurricanes/fewer hurricanes, etc. Such predictions don't breed confidence.

No, they don't. But if you get your predictions from the popular media, you won't get many accurate predictions anyway.

It wasn't the popular media that created these predictions. The hurricane one is especially noted as we continue a very long period without a severe hurricane on land, but years back when the east got hammered, the claims were flying like mad.

If we assume they will continue doing this, then we are at the worst case assessments.

And my point is that we are seeing worst case assessments.

Here's what I find to be reasonable:
"Hey, what happens if people keep pumping more and more CO2 into the atmosphere?"
"Let's take a look at the last 100 years."
"Oh, yeah."
"Then we factor in what increases will do."
"Good idea."

Here's what's happening.
"Hey, what happens if people keep pumping more and more CO2 into the atmosphere?"
"Sea level will rise 3 feet by the end of the century."
"How do you know what?"
"We know these things."
"Well, why not look at the last 100 years and see what it's done."
"No."
"But it shows a pretty marginal increase in sea level. About 6 inches per hundred years, and it's been stable for the last 30 or so years.'
"Well, my model says sea levels will rise between 18 inches and 54 inches."
"54 inches? WOW!"
"Yep. That's the figure the press will grab hold of."

"Good idea."

>but years back when the east got hammered, the claims were flying like mad.

Here are the NOAA predictions from 2008:

================
It is premature to conclude that human activities--and particularly greenhouse gas emissions that cause global warming--have already had a detectable impact on Atlantic hurricane activity. That said, human activities may have already caused changes that are not yet detectable due to the small magnitude of the changes or observational limitations, or are not yet properly modeled (e.g., aerosol effects).

Anthropogenic warming by the end of the 21st century will likely cause hurricanes globally to be more intense on average (by 2 to 11% according to model projections for an IPCC A1B scenario). This change would imply an even larger percentage increase in the destructive potential per storm, assuming no reduction in storm size.

There are better than even odds that anthropogenic warming over the next century will lead to an increase in the numbers of very intense hurricanes in some basins—an increase that would be substantially larger in percentage terms than the 2-11% increase in the average storm intensity. This increase in intense storm numbers is projected despite a likely decrease (or little change) in the global numbers of all tropical storms.

Anthropogenic warming by the end of the 21st century will likely cause hurricanes to have substantially higher rainfall rates than present-day hurricanes, with a model-projected increase of about 20% for rainfall rates averaged within about 100 km of the storm center.
==================

Now, "there are better than even odds that very intense hurricanes will increase in some basins" "it's too soon to say if AGW is having an impact, but it may" and "2-11% increase in intensity" does not sell papers. "KILLER HURRICANES!" does.

>And my point is that we are seeing worst case assessments.

In this case, you just set the conditions that result in worst case assessments (i.e. worst case emissions profiles.) If you don't like them, then set different conditions. You can't say "my initial conditions are just guesses, but it's your fault that the results that are based on them aren't accurate."

============
"Let's take a look at the last 100 years."
"Oh, yeah."
"Good idea."
============

The above is valid if we stop emitting CO2 right now. The earth will continue to warm until it reaches a new equilibrium, since that CO2 will stay in the atmosphere for decades.

If we increase CO2 concentrations it will warm at a faster rate. If we increase it at a faster rate it will warm at a faster rate still. That's what your stated assumptions above (that we won't care how much CO2 we emit) implies.

Again, if you would prefer a different assumption, great. But you better be very careful about what assumptions you make, especially if you will be incensed by people who give you worst cases based on those assumptions.