Shotgun

"Make My Day" Law?

But I would wager that the number of people that accidentally break into a home (like the one in this story) are a lot less than those that break into homes to commit crimes.

I'm not aware of any stats on that, but this certainly seems accurate at first glance. The homeowner in this story had reason to be alarmed.

You are right. I hope I never have to face that situation either. There is risk either way. I'm sure there are also folks who will regret forever their decision to have a gun in their home. But as I've said, I have no problem with the safe and responsible gun owner.

I hope you won't ever have to face that either. It sucks.

I wish I'd had a gun (within reach) when I was attacked by an intruder in my own shower. It would have changed the power ratio at the very least. If someone comes into my home and appears to be threatening either my loved ones or myself, I don't care what the reason is, I will defend to my utmost ability.

You should never have to go to court to defend yourself as to why you had to defend yourself against an aggressor in your own home.
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

But I would wager that the number of people that accidentally break into a home (like the one in this story) are a lot less than those that break into homes to commit crimes.

I'm not aware of any stats on that, but this certainly seems accurate at first glance. The homeowner in this story had reason to be alarmed.

I think that in the great majority of cases where an intruder ignores your order to leave, they're a threat to you and your family. For that reason, you should evaluate your willingness, or not, to shoot an intruder as a self defence concern, rather than a concern about shooting a drunk. Now that should also be measured against your concerns about risks to family members.

Gun owners shouldn't object to your conclusion when you do it with examination of the facts, rather than emotional arguments put forth (sometimes convincingly) by the Brady coalition. Their lies get some people killed.

She must have been pretty drunk. But she is (was?) also pretty hot!

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-57442468-504083/colo-woman-zoey-ripple-shot-by-homeowner-faces-trespassing-charge/

I think the wife shot her because some young girl was trying to hop in bed.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

She must have been pretty drunk. But she is (was?) also pretty hot!

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-57442468-504083/colo-woman-zoey-ripple-shot-by-homeowner-faces-trespassing-charge/

I think the wife shot her because some young girl was trying to hop in bed.

I agree, it was definitely the wife that fired the shot!
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I agree, it was definitely the wife that fired the shot!

That situation would have tested your morals for sure. Cute young blond girl knocking the door down (screen door in this case) to get in bed with you.

I think I would hedge my bets and tuck her in to bed and slept on the couch. Too drunk to make a move.

But in the morning when she sobers up she might be very impressed with what a gentleman you were. :)
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

I know I will get spanked by the pro-gun crowd for this, but please believe me, I am by no means anti-gun. Here is my take on this incident. This was a young college girl who had way too much to drink, and somehow got into the wrong house. Was she in the wrong? Of course. Did the homeowner have the right to use deadly force? I reluctantly agree that he did. But the reason I do not have a gun in my home is because I do not want to shoot someone like this. Yes, again, the homeowner had the right to shoot. But if he had killed her, he would have had to live with the fact that he killed a drunk, lost, harmless college kid for the rest of his life. I don't want that on my conscience. The risk I take is that I may not be able to defend myself against the real bad guy that breaks in. So I live with that risk. I guess I'd rather live with the risk of getting hurt or worse because I'm not armed than the risk of shooting some drunk, harmless kid and having to live with the guilt.

I hope I haven't riled up the pro gun crowd too much. I repeat that I respect the right to bear arms and also this homeowner's right to do what he thought he needed to to defend himself. Fire away, so to speak, pro gunners.

what an odd post

"pro-gunners" want to have the right to choose for themselves on the topic and respect the right of others to choice the same or differently.

The anti-gunners want the right to make choices about the topic for other people. They also respect the right of others - as long as they agree with them.

I guess you are a pro-gunner

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I'd say he's pro-choice :)

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I'd say he's pro-choice :)

the analogy is a bit obvious, isn't it?

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I know I will get spanked by the pro-gun crowd for this, but please believe me, I am by no means anti-gun. Here is my take on this incident. This was a young college girl who had way too much to drink, and somehow got into the wrong house. Was she in the wrong? Of course. Did the homeowner have the right to use deadly force? I reluctantly agree that he did. But the reason I do not have a gun in my home is because I do not want to shoot someone like this. Yes, again, the homeowner had the right to shoot. But if he had killed her, he would have had to live with the fact that he killed a drunk, lost, harmless college kid for the rest of his life. I don't want that on my conscience. The risk I take is that I may not be able to defend myself against the real bad guy that breaks in. So I live with that risk. I guess I'd rather live with the risk of getting hurt or worse because I'm not armed than the risk of shooting some drunk, harmless kid and having to live with the guilt.

I hope I haven't riled up the pro gun crowd too much. I repeat that I respect the right to bear arms and also this homeowner's right to do what he thought he needed to to defend himself. Fire away, so to speak, pro gunners.

what an odd post

"pro-gunners" want to have the right to choose for themselves on the topic and respect the right of others to choice the same or differently.

The anti-gunners want the right to make choices about the topic for other people. They also respect the right of others - as long as they agree with them.

Can a pro gunner have no desire whatsoever to own a gun? If so, I guess I am a pro-gunner. But like Wendy said, I guess I'm pro-choice.

But I would wager that the number of people that accidentally break into a home (like the one in this story) are a lot less than those that break into homes to commit crimes. As such, statistically speaking, if a stranger is in your house -- especially late night -- and isn't leaving when you yell at them, you're better off shooting than not. Just my .02.

You would lose your wager, and perhaps much more. Full disclosure: I have several firearms in my home. Irregardless, it has long been established that, statistically speaking, homeowners are much more likely to accidentally shoot someone they know but mistake for an intruder than they are to intentionally defend themselves at their home with a gun.

To expect the worst and shoot first will, more often than not, result in a neighbor, cousin, lover, child, etc., being perforated. Additionally, those who keep a weapon in the home for self defense are about three times more likely to commit a murder of passion.

Food for thought.

Irregardless, it has long been established that, statistically speaking, homeowners are much more likely to accidentally shoot someone they know but mistake for an intruder than they are to intentionally defend themselves at their home with a gun.

Has it, now? Was it another Kellerman special? Giving the number of bullshit studies along this line, this sort of claim requires a citation.