lawrocket

What Profession Best Prepares a Person to be President

Here is a list of 4 stars, the lowest amount in rank of generals:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_Army_four-star_generals

Are at least half of these generals known to have the issues you describe? What about all the others not listed?

Seems strange that there were relatively few prior to about the mid-40's, and I know of most of them; then there are scads from that point on, and I know of very few of them.

During and after WWII, did becoming a general morph into something that was much easier to do? Kinda like grade inflation in which getting an A used to really mean something, whereas now not getting one pretty much means you didn't really try very hard.

My wild ass guess is the sudden increase in troop numbers for WWII and later, Structual changes within service requiring different levels of oversight, for instance, technology allows slimming down on number of actual low ranking members but not responsibility. (example, an Iowa class battleship of 70,000 tons and about 2400 Sailors in WWII being replaced by an Aegis crusier of 10000 tons and about 300 personnel which is more deadiler and cheaper to operate but requires the same rank for the skipper due to capability and responsibility).
Can't tell you if it's easier today to make that rank comparatively to previous years.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

then you don't have to worry about that pesky Constitution.

Last I checked, the Supreme Court was the one that decided what was Constitutional... Not the President.

The SCOTUS does. That the SCOTUS has to make those decisions says something about why they are unelected.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

then you don't have to worry about that pesky Constitution.

Last I checked, the Supreme Court was the one that decided what was Constitutional... Not the President.

they can only react to what Congress or the President do. And the President is the only single person that can act (executive decisions) or sign/veto legislation.

they can only react to what Congress or the President do. And the President is the only single person that can act (executive decisions) or sign/veto legislation.

Does not matter. The job of the SCOTUS is what decides if something is Constitutional or not... Not the President.

So you claim that we "would not have to worry about that pesky Constitution" is crap.

Plus the fact that we have had Presidents that were not lawyers... Pretty much proves your position false in the real world as well.

Does not matter. The job of the SCOTUS is what decides if something is Constitutional or not... Not the President.

you might want to read the oath taken by the President.

"Preserve, protect and defend" means, not break. Not, decide if is valid.

His is the same boilerplate most government officials have regarding it.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

"Preserve, protect and defend" means, not break. Not, decide if is valid.

His is the same boilerplate most government officials have regarding it.

Correct. I've taken the oath (or something similar) many times myself.

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.

"Preserve, protect and defend" the Constitution, in my opinion, does not mean to ignore, devalue and attack the validity of the Constitution because national healthcare is more important. Or because repealing DOMA would be too politically troublesome. Etc.

President Obama is not alone in this. Since the beginning, Presidents have not liked Constitutional limits. Check out Lincoln suspending habeas corpus, FDR interning the Japanese, etc.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

anyhow, given a choice between a movie actor or a peanut farmer, I'd still probably choose a peanut farmer.

Wow.:S

No kidding...even after I offered up a cranky old demo jumper on the ticket! :S

I mean heck, what's a terrorist threat compared to a pissed off red head? Talk about someone with experience defusing volatile situations...I'm still here! :D

I've traveled the world and made tons of friends in every country I ever visited...except France of course. B|

Yeah I may not be the brightest bulb in the marquee, but between street smarts, attitude and bullshittin' ability...I do alright!
The peanut farmer wuz a nuclear engineer and HE gave away the Panama Canal!;)
How bad could I do??!!

I'm Trilingual...I speak 'Merican, a bit of Russian AND Texan! B| Never owned a losing baseball team OR an oil well. :)

I've appeared before large crowds before so I won't get stage fright making speeches...and just IMAGINE the speeches I would make! >:(

I'm tellin' ya'll ...write me in - you might be disappointed with the politics... but you WILL be entertained! B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

anyhow, given a choice between a movie actor or a peanut farmer, I'd still probably choose a peanut farmer.

Given the particular person who was the actor, and the particular person who is the peanut farmer - agreed.

Carter seemed to be the last good person elected President. Which explains why he got along so badly trying to get things done working with the horribly corrupt sytems, processes, and people in D.C..

Reagan was of similar ilk, being amicable & relatively honest and all; and with an interesting approach to dealing with D.C. (as little as possible). Too bad he was simply not all that smart, and not all there at least some of the time.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

You might want to read a civics book.... Pay particular attention to the duties of the three branches of Govt.

Here is a primer for you.. Should be something you can grasp:
http://bensguide.gpo.gov/3-5/government/branches.html

http://bensguide.gpo.gov/3-5/government/national/executive.html

The executive branch of Government makes sure that the laws of the United States are obeyed.

http://bensguide.gpo.gov/3-5/government/national/judicial.html

The judicial branch of government is made up of the court system. The Supreme Court is the highest court in the land. Article III of the Constitution established this Court and all other Federal courts were created by Congress. Courts decide arguments about the meaning of laws, how they are applied, and whether they break the rules of the Constitution

You failed (again).

Wow.:S

Wow yourself.
I was speaking generically, not re: Carter and Reagan specifically. Given a choice (which is rare in either party), I'd like to have a president who has not only governmental experience (which I do think is important), but also a background that puts his head in the "real world". So, generically speaking, I'd think a career farmer would fit bill that better than a career Hollywood movie actor.

I was speaking generically, not re: Carter and Reagan specifically. Given a choice (which is rare in either party), I'd like to have a president who has not only governmental experience (which I do think is important), but also a background that puts his head in the "real world". So, generically speaking, I'd think a career farmer would fit bill that better than a career Hollywood movie actor.

career farmer seems to gloss over his time as a politician from 1961- as a state senator and then governor in Georgia.

And what about Reagan being the "union" head of the actors guild? So what if he named names...