davjohns

Email on Romney seems to check out

Received this. Seems pretty accurate. He did donate his salary for working on the Olympics three years. Declined salary as governor. Etc. Pretty impressive. I deleted a couple of editorial comments from the original.

Whether you like Romney or not, this story is very revealing.

In July, 1996, the 14-year-old daughter of Robert Gay, a partner at Bain
Capital, had disappeared. She had attended a rave party in New York
City and gotten high on ecstasy. Three days later, her distraught
father had no idea where she was, and Romney took immediate action.

He closed down the entire firm and asked all 30 partners and employees to
fly to New York to help find Gay's daughter. Romney set up a command
center at the LaGuardia Marriott and hired a private detective firm to
assist with the search. He established a toll-free number for tips,
coordinating the effort with the NYPD, and went through his Rolodex
and called everyone Bain did business with in New York, and asked them
to help find his friend's missing daughter.

Romney's accountants at Price Waterhouse Cooper put up posters on street
poles, while cashiers at a pharmacy owned by Bain put fliers in the bag of every
shopper. Romney and the other Bain employees scoured every part of New York
and talked with everyone they could... prostitutes, drug addicts, anyone.

That day, their hunt made the evening news, which featured photos of
the girl and the Bain employees searching for her. As a result, a teenage boy
phoned in, asked if there was a reward, and then hung up abruptly.

The NYPD traced the call to a home in New Jersey, where they
found the girl in the basement, shivering and experiencing withdrawal
symptoms from a massive ecstasy dose. Doctors later said the girl
might not have survived another day. Romney's former partner credits
Mitt Romney with saving his daughter's life, saying, "It was the most
amazing thing, and I'll never forget this to the day I die."

Many people are unaware of the fact that when Romney was asked by his
old employer, Bill Bain, to come back to Bain & Company as CEO to
rescue the firm from bankruptcy, Romney left Bain Capital to work at
Bain & Company for an annual salary of one dollar. When Romney went
to the rescue of the 2002 Salt Lake Olympics, he accepted no salary
for three years, and wouldn't use an expense account. He also accepted
no salary as Governor of Massachusetts.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

Actually, he appears to be pretty centrist. I've ignored the election for the most part and only looked at the guy's history this morning after receiving this. He established a program of near universal healthcare when he was governor. He balanced the budget. His views on many things seem to have changed some, but are pretty centrist. He hires people for their abilities rather than as political favors. Lots of good stuff on line about him.

It looks to me like people who don't vote for him are going to latch on to his religion, wealth or political party as reasoning.

Just my initial observation. I just started looking at him this morning, but he's about as impressive as they come on paper.

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

I agree he's pretty centrist. I think that's one of the reasons he's having problems with the more conservative elements of the Republican Party. The left-wingers who are trying to portray him as some right-wing religious zealot are actually helping him gain favor in that respect. Romney is smart enough to recognize this.

Quite a stark contrast to the image the left-wingers try to portray. Of course, they mostly just read left-wing websites for their daily programming.

there was something else about Romney donating his dads money to charity, have not found the link but I would like to know if it was true.

Quite a stark contrast to the image the left-wingers try to portray. Of course, they mostly just read left-wing websites for their daily programming.

there was something else about Romney donating his dads money to charity, have not found the link but I would like to know if it was true.

There is another story too where an employee had his daughter disappear

He flew in all the employees to what ever company that was to help look for the girl
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

He flew in all the employees to what ever company that was to help look for the girl

Wow, he did that twice?

If I had a daughter, there's no way I'd take a job with this guy.

- Dan G

Wow, he did that twice?

If you had a daughter, I'm sure your attitude towards a lot of things would change.

Actually, both Romney and Obama are pretty centrist on a whole lot of things, and I'm glad of that, frankly.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Wow, he did that twice?

If you had a daughter, I'm sure your attitude towards a lot of things would change.

I got the impression that DanG was joking.

Anyhow, did this actually happen twice, or did rush not read the OP?

Actually, he appears to be pretty centrist. I've ignored the election for the most part and only looked at the guy's history this morning after receiving this. He established a program of near universal healthcare when he was governor. He balanced the budget. His views on many things seem to have changed some, but are pretty centrist. He hires people for their abilities rather than as political favors. Lots of good stuff on line about him.

Some? He sold his centrist soul to the Devil, also known as the GOP Right, during the primary campaign. Before that, I dare say many unhappy Obama supporters would have been willing to jump.

Some? He sold his centrist soul to the Devil, also known as the GOP Right, during the primary campaign. Before that, I dare say many unhappy Obama supporters would have been willing to jump.

Yep. I was ready to vote for him based on my time in MA with him a governor as well as his centrist views. After the primaries.....forget it
Performance Designs Factory Team

Yep. I was ready to vote for him based on my time in MA with him a governor as well as his centrist views. After the primaries.....forget it

Well, logically, he'll swing back to the center during the general election campaign to go after the crucial swing votes. Voters have the memory-spans of goldfish.

Wow, he did that twice?

I scanned it

Missed that part

That is the story I was talking about though
Abraham Lincoln

Well, logically, he'll swing back to the center during the general election campaign to go after the crucial swing votes. Voters have the memory-spans of goldfish.

But Superpacs can buy ads showing video of him from the primaries.

'The trees in Michigan are just the right height.'

'The trees in Michigan are just the right height.'

Logic dictates that by the time the general election rolls around, the trees in Michigan will be just a little too tall. Disappointed Michigan voters will no doubt vote for Obama, thus throwing the election to him.

I believe this analysis has about as much weight as anything else out there, so I'm going with it.

- Dan G

If he does, he will loose votes
Abraham Lincoln

Wow, he did that twice?

I scanned it

Missed that part

That is the story I was talking about though

Dude, aside from the first and last paragraph, that's what the whole post was about. You might want to ask your doctor about this drug called Ritalin. :P (Just kidding, rush.)

Yep, I was going to vote for him too, until I read your post:P

If he does, he will loose votes

I seriously doubt it. Well, let's say it will gain him more votes than it will lose him, for a net gain. Committed conservatives will vote for him, will vote for any Republican, before voting for Obama. A few might have tantrums and protest a "betrayal of principles" by either not voting all or by writing-in some fascist like Rick Santorum or RonD. :P

That leaves only the swing votes. A few Romney-leaning moderates, egghead-types probably, might take intellectual offense at Romney's waffling and punish him by voting for Obama. (When was the last time the "intellectual offense" vote carried an election?) But I think a greater number of currently-uncommitted moderates might be willing to vote for Romney if they think he'll stand up to the extreme right-wing and govern, with skill and capability, from the pragmatic middle, the way he did in Massachusetts.

I whole heartedly agree when we lament a candidate changing stances to fit the stage of the campaign. At the same time, the current did it before and is doing it again. So, that really isn't a discriminator between the two.

Romney has taken a state budget out of deficit. Obama has taken the country in the other direction.

Romney can do the job and then walk away. I rather like that.

Romney has the independence to make the hard decisions that we truly need made. Let's face it, there is not a way to get this country back on track without a bunch of pain. And NOBODY is going to agree on how that pain should be distributed. Most everyone is going to be unhappy with it. We need someone who can do it anyhow.

I don't like everything about the guy. Heck, I don't like everything about me. But this guy is very impressive and has the potential to be what we need. We know what we've had.

I think I'll be sending in my vote from Belgium. I had not planned to vote until today.

I whole heartedly agree when we lament a candidate changing stances to fit the stage of the campaign. At the same time, the current did it before and is doing it again. So, that really isn't a discriminator between the two.

Romney has taken a state budget out of deficit. Obama has taken the country in the other direction.

Romney can do the job and then walk away. I rather like that.

Romney has the independence to make the hard decisions that we truly need made. Let's face it, there is not a way to get this country back on track without a bunch of pain. And NOBODY is going to agree on how that pain should be distributed. Most everyone is going to be unhappy with it. We need someone who can do it anyhow.

I don't like everything about the guy. Heck, I don't like everything about me. But this guy is very impressive and has the potential to be what we need. We know what we've had.

I think I'll be sending in my vote from Belgium. I had not planned to vote until today.

Romney's job at Bain was taking companies on the verge of bankrupcy and making them viable, seems to be what this country needs.

Romney's job at Bain was taking companies on the verge of bankrupcy and making them viable, seems to be what this country needs.

Incorrect. His job was making a profit from the purchase of these companies... Quite different.
Remster