ryoder

Baptist University's Anti-Gay Pledge Causes Faculty To Quit In Droves

I applaud both sides for holding to their convictions.

Damn straight! It's FAR more important for people to hold on to extremist beliefs than to ever reach a middle ground.
:S

Sounds as though you would have people formed by cookie cutters and standardized templates.
:S:S

Sounds to me like you're unable to draw accurate conclusions.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

And both parties are allowed to believe what they want. Happy? Like I said. I applaud both sides for backing up their standards with action.

+1

Believe it or not people, you are not entitled to employment at any particular place for any particular function for any particular length of time.

It's voluntary on both sides of the fence.

Yes, yes, unions see it otherwise. That's because they are on only one side of the fence and be damned with the other side. Not good.

Up front, you agreed to worked in certain conditions doing certain functions for certain pay.

If any of that changes, you have the option to continue or not.

Kudos to both sides. One set conditions as per their needs, the other acted according to their needs. Good for them both.

You want to blast somebody? Blast the bozos who elected to stay and then whine about it. Blast the bozos who seem to think that they are entitled to work at any place they so desire, under any conditions they so desire, for any pay they so desire.

If that 'entitlement' is reasonable in your book, then I want to be CEO of your company with no responsibilities at $1mil/yr. Let me know when I can start. Be warned though, if you change my title, or give a responsibilities or change my pay, I'll be gone in 60 seconds.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Damn straight! It's FAR more important for people to hold on to extremist beliefs than to ever reach a middle ground.

Sounds as though you would have people formed by cookie cutters and standardized templates.
:S:S

Sounds to me like you're unable to draw accurate conclusions.

Yep. Sometimes that's true. Sometimes not.
Was your :S intended to indicated sarcasm?

Some of us a not as perfect as some others think they are.
:D:):P;)
^sarcasm

I was once generously compensated as the marketing director for a fairly large baptist church in Detroit. When I realized that they were in it simply for the money and robbing people through false doctrine, I told them what I thought and resigned.

What would have been the middle ground here? "I'll turn a blind eye to your thievery corporation and unethical business practices, but I'm only gonna take HALF of my original share of the spoils?":D
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

I was once generously compensated as the marketing director for a fairly large baptist church in Detroit. When I realized that they were in it simply for the money and robbing people through false doctrine, I told them what I thought and resigned.

What would have been the middle ground here? "I'll turn a blind eye to your thievery corporation and unethical business practices, but I'm only gonna take HALF of my original share of the spoils?"

Maybe you already met on middle ground.

You could have gone to the press. You could have produced a marketing campaign, teling people what this church was doing. If anything illegal happened you could have reported it.

I am assuming you did keep they money you had already received. Which is middle ground, since you could have felt strongly enough to return the money.

Equating allowing your business to fail because you refuse to comprise your convictions to committing personal suicide is a bit of a stretch. :S

they were ok with hiring these people, and apparently with their performance. There's probably a saner method to implement this loyalty oath that doesn't require instant completion. Given a 5 year grace period, the attrition rate would be high, but institutional knowledge would be maintained. Instead they have to recreate from scratch. And if they do lose their accreditation, they will see a tremendous drop in applicants, and have screwed their current students. (Kallend - is there any grace period or grandfathering for existing students in this sort of situation, or are they now getting an even more worthless degree?)

Funny side note - I'm now seeing banner ads for Shorter on the top of DZ.

Don't have any legal issues with this as not government funded or supported.

This killing their college is the best thing that could happen as that would mean this sort of intolerance is no longer acceptable,. From reading how this college came under and fought religious control, that may be the intention.
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

>ya, and you believe shit just pops outta thin air like magic for
>absolutely no reason whatsoever..

It does, actually:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_foam

So what is the R-value of that stuff?:|
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

>ya, and you believe shit just pops outta thin air like magic for
>absolutely no reason whatsoever..

It does, actually:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_foam

So what is the R-value of that stuff?:|

...and is it used as a spermicide?

And both parties are allowed to believe what they want. Happy? Like I said. I applaud both sides for backing up their standards with action.

the result of that could be a 90% loss of faculty which could, depending on timing, result in the loss of accreditation. In short, the university is committing suicide for its standards. Something I believe is generally against Christian tenants.

Equating allowing your business to fail because you refuse to comprise your convictions to committing personal suicide is a bit of a stretch. :S

Has the concept of "metaphor" never intruded on your thoughts?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

(Kallend - is there any grace period or grandfathering for existing students in this sort of situation, or are they now getting an even more worthless degree?)

Loss of accreditation is slow on account of "due process" - first there has to be an accreditation visit, then the relevant agency issues a "show cause" statement to which the college has time to respond showing that it has fixed the problem. Only after that is found defective is the accreditation removed. By that time any student with more than 1/2 a brain will have left anyway.

Shorter doesn't even appear in the top 1200 colleges and universities for return on investment.

www.payscale.com/college-education-value

Fascinating that a similar school, Oral Roberts U, has a NEGATIVE ROI.

So does Liberty University.:D
Which is where my fundy parents thought I should go.
Instead, I was obstinate and went to Purdue (#103 on the list).

Fascinating link. Thanks for posting it!
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

interesting, almost odd that Harvey Mudd headlines that list. In the 90s they had only 5 majors, iirc, but used the rest of the Claremont schools to provide a heavy humanities base.

The top of the list is populated by either ivy league, or by schools with a heavy techie enrollment. Harvey Mudd wins out by virtue of being just about 100% techie. If the Claremont Colleges as a whole were evaluated, they wouldn't be near the top.

Whenever I see Harvey Mudd in the news I can't not think of a character on the original Star Trek series from the 60's called Harry Mudd. He was quite flamboyant and not what you would equate with a university.

p.s. my school is number 30 on the list.
"For you see, an airplane is an airplane. A landing area is a landing area. But a dropzone... a dropzone is the people."

interesting, almost odd that Harvey Mudd headlines that list. In the 90s they had only 5 majors, iirc, but used the rest of the Claremont schools to provide a heavy humanities base.

The top of the list is populated by either ivy league, or by schools with a heavy techie enrollment. Harvey Mudd wins out by virtue of being just about 100% techie. If the Claremont Colleges as a whole were evaluated, they wouldn't be near the top.

I'm just surprised to see they're somehow able to beat out Caltech, which has a similar size, but an even more selective admissions, and the same salary structure in the region. MIT is much larger so it is harder to maintain the average.