rushmc

Now a Clean Coal Evolution?

>Could have been doubled

OK. I'll put you down for "Obama did not spend enough on the recovery."

No, put me down for Obama MISSPENT on the recovery.

Suppose the tax payers got stiffed with this one?

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/investigations/Stimulus-Grants-Fund-Erectile-Dysfunction-And-Sexual-Habits-Studies-151195105.html

You Paid for It! Stimulus Dollars Fund Studies into Sexual History and Erectile Dysfunction

:$sorry, couldn't help myself

:D
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

>yep, spent tons on road and sidewalk projects, don;t know about where
>you live but where I live they paved roads that didn't need paving

well that's dumb

>they added sidewalks where no one walks - complete idiots

?? that's pretty smart. I mean, most highways (including every major highway in San Diego) was put in where no one drives. Once they were there people drove on them. We need more sidewalks so that people _can_ walk instead of driving. Helps pedestrians and drivers.

>go nuclear - the non-emitting source that is cost effective -

I like nuclear; good baseline source of power.

Now, are you saying "have the government pay for more nuclear plants?" Or would you be more in favor of ending governmental subsidies for nuclear and letting the market decide?

I like nuclear; good baseline source of power.

Now, are you saying "have the government pay for more nuclear plants?" Or would you be more in favor of ending governmental subsidies for nuclear and letting the market decide?

No, not pay for, yes, end subisidies AND reduce the stupid exessive regulatory and licensing needed to build one (it currently, on average, takes 10 to 12 years to get through the process)

They could them compete on their own

However, the left will claim they will go dirty and want even more regualtion. In the end, it is all about control
Abraham Lincoln

>No, not pay for, yes, end subisidies . . . .

That will, without question, end nuclear power in the US. Which is fine if that's your goal, but it sounds like it's not. The ONLY way nuclear can survive in the US is with massive subsidies.

>AND reduce the stupid exessive regulatory and licensing needed to build one

Given nuclear's track record in this country, removing regulatory oversight on the power plants would be a bit of a mistake.

San Onofre was recently scrammed after a heat exchanger let loose. Turns out that they replaced the original heat exchanger with a different design intended to increase total power a bit. Didn't do enough analysis on it, and the geometry of the design was such that the heat exchanger tubes were smacking into each other until they actually wore all the way through - thus venting reactor coolant into the secondary (external) loop.

That doesn't sound like an industry that needs less regulation. And given that it could make large parts of Orange County uninhabitable if there was a big problem, it's probably not something we should just roll the dice on.

That will, without question, end nuclear power in the US. Which is fine if that's your goal, but it sounds like it's not. The ONLY way nuclear can survive in the US is with massive subsidies.

Given nuclear's track record in this country, removing regulatory oversight on the power plants would be a bit of a mistake.

San Onofre was recently scrammed after a heat exchanger let loose. Turns out that they replaced the original heat exchanger with a different design intended to increase total power a bit. Didn't do enough analysis on it, and the geometry of the design was such that the heat exchanger tubes were smacking into each other until they actually wore all the way through - thus venting reactor coolant into the secondary (external) loop.

That doesn't sound like an industry that needs less regulation. And given that it could make large parts of Orange County uninhabitable if there was a big problem, it's probably not something we should just roll the dice on.

Note that I did not say end but rather reduce.

And if the bs regulations were removed (again, not saying end oversite) then IMO these plants could be built without gov subsidies

Of course they would need to be allowed to get a decent rate of return (for those that are rate regulated) as well
Abraham Lincoln

>Note that I did not say end but rather reduce.

Which regulations would you "reduce?"

>And if the bs regulations were removed (again, not saying end oversite)
>then IMO these plants could be built without gov subsidies

That's not the problem. The biggest problem is liability. No insurance company in the world would insure a private company that might someday accidentally destroy Orange County. So the US has the Price-Anderson Nuclear Industries Indemnity Act, an insurance policy that covers catastrophic accidents.

Removing that governmental coverage would end nuclear power in the US.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In Reply To
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

>If Obama has spent the billions of dollars elsewhere, perhaps on bridges,
>roads and schools, we would have hundreds of thousands of jobs.

He did that as well. In fact I believe conservatives recently attacked him for doing just that. I am sure you see no problems with both condemning him for doing it and crucifying him for not doing it.

>. http://hotair.com/...green-tech-ventures/

Your posts might have a bit more credibility if you didn't base them on "the leading conservative blog for breaking news and commentary."

Your posts might have a bit more credibility if you read more carefully and see that it is a piece by CBS, not a blog.

billvon

It's just been announced that San Onofre is being shuttered.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

What I'm thinking is that they couldn't come up with the money to replace it. The release indicated that there was too much uncertainty for investors. I think that means nobody would loan the money for it and there wasn't enough cash reserve. Considering that ratepayers are still paying for the new exchangers, asking for a rate increase is not politically viable.

I'm wondering what the future will hold with the site...

>What I'm thinking is that they couldn't come up with the money to replace it.

What I am wondering is why they didn't go back to Mitsubishi and say "hey, your steam generator broke. You know, the one we paid you hundreds of millions for. Turns out there was a design flaw. Are you going to replace it or what?"

billvon

Three Mile Island is having similar tube-tube wear problems with their new steam generators.

[Reply]What I am wondering is why they didn't go back to Mitsubishi and say "hey, your steam generator broke. You know, the one we paid you hundreds of millions for. Turns out there was a design flaw. Are you going to replace it or what?"

They probably did. And Mitsubishi is probably saying, "not a design flaw but negligent installation." So there will be a lawsuit including Mitsubishi, every architect, engineering firm, mettalurgist and fabricator, distributor, contractor, subcontractor and accountant involved in it.

Maybe it'll all be worked out by 2025...