shah269

Working 55 hours w/o pay...how is this legal?

http://moneyland.time.com/2012/05/02/the-beginning-of-the-end-of-the-unpaid-internship-as-we-know-it/?hpt=hp_t2

You know.......this shit makes me sick!
It's slavery.
Its psychological ware on those who hope that they may land the job of their dreams only to find out....nope this is just how we screw you over and obtain a tax free product off your sorry ass.

As a tax payer I would be very upset. Not only did these douche bags not pay into the SS system but also did not pay any payroll tax.

So does this make it a federal crime? I sure as shit hope so!
Let's hang these tax cheat CEO's high and dry!
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

Oh dear, somebody forgot who actually runs the US.

Sadly, intern abuse is rampant. The only way it will stop is when people stop applying for the internships.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

The only way it will stop is when people stop applying for the internships.

And what...?
I mean really?

You know maybe these occupy people have a point?
Maybe we need to have a little French revolution and hang a few of these nice folks? Will that change things? odds are not but.....what else can you do?

Sit there and watch the country go to shit?
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

I did a lot of clinical time in Nursing School and Medic School, unpaid lackey-type labor, as part of my education.

I spent time from 2004 to 2011 volunteering at a rescue squad and fire department in my area. I did this not SOLELY as a resume booster, but I'm sure having it on my resume helped me get my current job. I hope to get back into volunteering in EMS again soon.

When I was an engineer I did a co-op education experience. While I DID get paid, it was chump change compared to what I made after graduation. Again, my choice.

Where I'm surprised is that the girl in the story had been through SEVEN internships. If you spend that much time working for free to get your foot in the door and still can't manage to make any forward progress... methinks you need to consider what this says about your choice of career, or what it says about yourself.

Elvisio "Peter principle?" Rodriguez

Where I'm surprised is that the girl in the story had been through SEVEN internships. If you spend that much time working for free to get your foot in the door and still can't manage to make any forward progress... methinks you need to consider what this says about your choice of career, or what it says about yourself.

I think the argument being put forward is that these NYC firms are systematically exploiting the intern concept for free labor. Why would they hire her when they could just get the next kid fresh from Ohio? Experience is great, but free is fabulous. Only if they have to start paying will they have any incentive to make longer term job offers.

It's clear they're in violation of the 6 pt rules, just as many firms have been caught abusing the exempt classification to avoid paying OT.

Maybe we need to have a little French revolution and hang a few of these nice folks?

OMG! You really HAVE forgotten what country you're talking about.

If a CEO in the US robs millions of dollars from thousands of people, he doesn't get strung up . . . he gets a raise.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

My chump change 401k rewards bad behavior by CEO's.
But what choice do i have?
What choice do these kids have?

When you loose hope things go bad. People get strung up!

http://moneyland.time.com/2012/05/02/the-beginning-of-the-end-of-the-unpaid-internship-as-we-know-it/?hpt=hp_t2

You know.......this shit makes me sick!
It's slavery.
Its psychological ware on those who hope that they may land the job of their dreams only to find out....nope this is just how we screw you over and obtain a tax free product off your sorry ass.

As a tax payer I would be very upset. Not only did these douche bags not pay into the SS system but also did not pay any payroll tax.

So does this make it a federal crime? I sure as shit hope so!

I'm with you except for the hanging part. The lawyers will probably put a stop to it.

I'm with you except for the hanging part. The lawyers will probably put a stop to it.

Here is to hope! :)

Oh, come on. Not only do these people not get paid for internships, they often PAY for these internships.

Go to college. Take an unpaid internship for college credits. Pay the college for it. Repeat.

And don't expect the US govt to side with the interns, as it does, and benefits from, the same thing. For one example, the US Attorney's offices' unpaid volunteer attorneys program. Not law students, mind you, but newly-minted attorneys, many of whom have already passed the Bar. So, the recent law school grads who either have their own wealth or (more likely) whose parents can afford to subsidize them work as assistant US Attorneys doing grunt trial work, but for free, getting a leg up on getting hired once the hiring freeze is lifted. In the meantime, the other 90-whatever percent of recent grads are effectively closed out of those jobs, so now even more of them must vie for the paid jobs. There are some DA's & PD's offices, and some private law firms, too, scattered around the country that do the same thing. Not sure how that helps the economy in the big picture.

I'm wondering just how much of this is a legal issue and just how much is a stupidity issue. Seven times???? Really????

I agree she is being taken advantage of but is not a pure victim. C'mon, at 28 yrs old you should not take an upaid intership.

I dont get the victim mentality by some here. She is 28 years old, not a child. She purposely is working for free. It is not right that the employer is doing this but she is NOT a victim. She is a dope.
"The point is, I'm weird, but I never felt weird."
John Frusciante

at 28 yrs old you should not take an unpaid internship.

I'm sorry have you seen our economy? Unemployment here in NJ is 10% it's much much worse in many other states and is horrible for recent graduates! People are willing to kill each other for an opportunity to apply for a job! So an unpaid internship....that's just false hope!

Who makes money off of this.......and who loses?
This is the world's best tax loop hole for any large company.
Free work from well qualified professionals and.......oh yeah it's also a tax write off!

If this doesn't give you a bad taste in your mouth....you must be dead!

you know i live in the same place as you, so yes im aware of our economy. i graduated in a bad economy also. i took a construction job because i couldnt find work in my degree. it was humiliating, i was openly mocked on the work sight for being a college boy. I DID have a enough pride to work for pay, though.

If this was her first no pay job and she felt it might land her work, i could understand. she is 28 years old and its her 6th. at this point, she gets no sympathy from me. she is being a dope.

to be clear. i don't think companies should do this. i do not see her as a victim of anything but her own poor judgement, though. i'm not cold blooded or mean. just rational.
"The point is, I'm weird, but I never felt weird."
John Frusciante

It's slavery.

Let me help you out,

Slavery is a system under which people are treated as property to be bought and sold, and are forced to work.[1] Slaves can be held against their will from the time of their capture, purchase or birth, and deprived of the right to leave, to refuse to work, or to demand compensation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery

Maybe Lang should have gone to nursing school.

I've decided you're right. Look at me. Volunteering to moderate this board for free! It's psychological war, I tell you. Exactly the same as slavery. Sometimes I even have to cut my lunch short to deal with some nonsense in Incidents.

And who is benefiting from all my work? You guys, who can't even be bothered to pay what you owe me. So I'm naming all you freeloading tax cheats in the lawsuit.

I've decided you're right. Look at me. Volunteering to moderate this board for free! It's psychological war, I tell you. Exactly the same as slavery. Sometimes I even have to cut my lunch short to deal with some nonsense in Incidents.

And who is benefiting from all my work? You guys, who can't even be bothered to pay what you owe me. So I'm naming all you freeloading tax cheats in the lawsuit.

But it's such valuable experience that you can add to your resume.

But it's such valuable experience that you can add to your resume.

And he'll soon be able to get his name listed in the Guinness Book of World Records as the person with the greatest number of forum posts. That could lead to visits with Letterman, Leno, Jimmy Fallon, and all those nice ladies on The View.
"For you see, an airplane is an airplane. A landing area is a landing area. But a dropzone... a dropzone is the people."

Working for 55 hours with out pay is a blessing as far as I'm concerned.

All I've had since I graduation in December is getting turned down by jobs that are unpaid. I'd be jumping up and down at finally getting the privilege to work for free.
Peace, love and hoppiness

Working for 55 hours with out pay is a blessing as far as I'm concerned.

All I've had since I graduation in December is getting turned down by jobs that are unpaid. I'd be jumping up and down at finally getting the privilege to work for free.

Boys and girls welcome to the fucked up future that is America....working for free and looking forward to it!