marks2065

Why is there no liberal crying for this?

>Yeah, and everyone on NPR cries.

When they're not being elitist or smug while raking in their millions.

Yeah... With shows called "Science Fridays"... Why don't they have "Intelligent Design Mondays"? Their bias is evident.
Remster

>Both parties are basically corporate owned entities with slightly different
>strategies for placating the masses. It's all a dog & pony show designed to
>divide and distract the populace.

Agreed. Although Hanlon's Law definitely applies here - never ascribe to malice what can be adequately explained by incompetence and laziness. The easiest way to get re-elected is to follow the pollsters and the spin doctors, and that's what both sides do.

I agree...but at the same time we also don't want to ascribe to incompetence and laziness that which is motivated by intentional greed and malice. Certain financial firms and energy companies come to mind. There's no conspiracy theory here, just rational actors doing what's best for themselves at the expense of the rest of us. Even libertarians become concerned when someone else's free actions harm them.

Most Americans actually agree on all the meat and potato issues of daily life. All the confusion is manufactured by those in control mostly through our sycophantic power-worshiping media. This is why they're coming for our internet now. It's a powerful new tool of democracy and they want to control it.

>.but at the same time we also don't want to ascribe to incompetence
>and laziness that which is motivated by intentional greed and malice.

Well, but greed is different from malice. Everyone out there is greedy. (That's how our financial system works.) But malice is a different story. A 60 year old guy may vote purely on what results in him being able to keep more of his retirement. That's greed but not malice. Likewise, an activist may want coverage of birth control from her company so she doesn't have to pay for it. Again, greed but not malice.

In the political world you have people who really, honestly think that torturing people will protect the US, that raising taxes will save us from bankruptcy and that pollution doesn't exist as a problem. Sometimes that's incompetence, but more often it's just a difference of opinion.

>There's no conspiracy theory here, just rational actors doing what's best
>for themselves at the expense of the rest of us.

Agreed there. But again, I think there's a difference in what's doing best for them at our expense and going out of their way to harm others for no good reason. I think very, very few people do that.

...all I have heard is crickets in the dark.

A story by the AP is crickets in the dark? I also heard a story about this on (gasp) NPR.

Yeah, and everyone on NPR cries. You know, between bites of quiche.

"Good day to you and welcome to all things considered, a show where we talk very softly and right into the mic....Do you hear that? I'm whispering right in your ear. I'm right in your ear...buzz buzz buzz buzz buzz..."

corresponding video at 0:49-
http://vodpod.com/watch/4927087-family-guy-takes-on-animal-rights-video-eat-me-daily
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

Well, but greed is different from malice. Everyone out there is greedy. (That's how our financial system works.) But malice is a different story.
I think there's a difference in what's doing best for them at our expense and going out of their way to harm others for no good reason. I think very, very few people do that.

There's no problem with greed in general, but with certain actions taken in its name that harm society as a whole. This happens pretty regularly...a few examples: price fixing, predatory lending, deceitful investment advice, industrial pollution, toxic food, and of course big companies that buy up newer, better technologies just to bury them forever.

Greed is good in that it is one of the main drivers of our society, but we should recognize its limitations and plan for them. This is why Libertarianism is as much a Utopian idea as Communism. Everyone rushes to stick up for the much-maligned 'greed,' but what about our other shared values of solidarity and community?

In the political world you have people who really, honestly think that torturing people will protect the US, that raising taxes will save us from bankruptcy and that pollution doesn't exist as a problem.

You can thank our broken public schools and media for this phenomenon. :)

>This is why Libertarianism is as much a Utopian idea as Communism.
>Everyone rushes to stick up for the much-maligned 'greed,' but what about
>our other shared values of solidarity and community?

Agreed 100%. I like the ideas behind libertarianism, but in its pure form it would be as toxic as pure capitalism, pure communism etc. I hope we elect a libertarian president some day not because I want libertarianism to "take over" - but because it could add its unique flavor to the mix of philosophies we have in government today, and that would be a good thing.

Hey, we now openly admit and celebrate assassination of US citizens overseas. Due process be damned if they are suspected terrorists.

Note that our current POTUS and Congress did actually do something about the Patriot Act. Congress passed and Obama signed a bill that removed the Patriot Act's sunset date.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

I think most "liberals" will agree the biggest failure of Obama's presidency has been the continuation and expansion of Bush's Orwellian policies, but examples like this demonstrate there really is very little difference politically between the two parties.

Both parties are basically corporate owned entities with slightly different strategies for placating the masses. It's all a dog & pony show designed to divide and distract the populace. Those with their hands on the levers of power love that we idiots are down here bickering about Obama vs Bush.

Political Science 101. I'm here all week folks.

If only most of the posters here realized this, then some real discussion could begin. Instead, it's the same old shit day in and day out here -- right vs. left, lib vs conservative, dem vs rep nonsense.

Be humble, ask questions, listen, learn, follow the golden rule, talk when necessary, and know when to shut the fuck up.

I think most "liberals" will agree the biggest failure of Obama's presidency has been the continuation and expansion of Bush's Orwellian policies, but examples like this demonstrate there really is very little difference politically between the two parties.

Both parties are basically corporate owned entities with slightly different strategies for placating the masses. It's all a dog & pony show designed to divide and distract the populace. Those with their hands on the levers of power love that we idiots are down here bickering about Obama vs Bush.

If only most of the posters here realized this, then some real discussion could begin. Instead, it's the same old shit day in and day out here -- right vs. left, lib vs conservative, dem vs rep nonsense.

I dunno...I've been saying this for a couple years now.
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3907568;search_string=genius;#3907568

I think I may have brought it up a couple times prior too, as I'm sure there were probably many before me...

It's interesting to note that back then it seemed it was primarily the liberals that seemed to object to this notion...I found lucky's comments rather humorous:

Republicans = side of corporations / wealthy
Dems = side of the people

:D

Even andy's comments are noteworthy given the subject of this thread:

Democrats in office = corruption, cronyism, self-dealing and a bit of kindness human compassion
versus
Republicans = corruption, cronyism, self-dealing and abject selfishness coupled with mean-spiritedness.

it's nice to see that many of us are now finally starting to unite wrt to this problem...the question is, what do we do now?
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

I dunno...I've been saying this for a couple years now.
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3907568;search_string=genius;#3907568

I think I may have brought it up a couple times prior too, as I'm sure there were probably many before me...

It's interesting to note that back then it seemed it was primarily the liberals that seemed to object to this notion...I found lucky's comments rather humorous:

Republicans = side of corporations / wealthy
Dems = side of the people

:D

Even andy's comments are noteworthy given the subject of this thread:

Democrats in office = corruption, cronyism, self-dealing and a bit of kindness human compassion
versus
Republicans = corruption, cronyism, self-dealing and abject selfishness coupled with mean-spiritedness.

it's nice to see that many of us are now finally starting to unite wrt to this problem...the question is, what do we do now?

start voting for those that work for us and keep their word, not the ones that by our votes and keep building our debt would be a good start.

start voting for those that work for us and keep their word, not the ones that by our votes and keep building our debt would be a good start.

In case you haven't noticed, both parties regularly lie, increase the size of government, and build on the debt.

Despite the seeming hopelessness of it, voting still has some small value in that it gives us a tiny range of choice we can use to vote tactically.

In case you haven't noticed, both parties regularly lie, increase the size of government, and build on the debt.

Despite the seeming hopelessness of it, voting still has some small value in that it gives us a tiny range of choice we can use to vote tactically.

the problem we have is all those that vote for candidates that promise and deliver on free stuff, the government has been giving so much free stuff that it is broke.

the problem we have is all those that vote for candidates that promise and deliver on free stuff, the government has been giving so much free stuff that it is broke.

Motor voter laws may be the cause of this,, it used to be you had to make an effort to get registered to vote.
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.