SkyPiggie

Democrat-controlled Senate laziest in 20 years

Democrat-controlled Senate laziest in 20 years
http://washingtonexaminer.com/politics/washington-secrets/2012/04/report-democrat-controlled-senate-laziest-20-years/493996
"Secretary of the Senate Nancy Erickson revealed a slew of data that put the first session of the 112th Senate at the bottom of Senates since 1992 in legislative productivity, an especially damning finding considering that it wasn’t an election year when congressional action is usually lower."

The last time they passed a budget before the budget took effect (1 Oct) was 14 years ago...

And you want it BALANCED?

They are far too busy looking into whether performance enhancing drugs are being used in pro ball, going on fact finding missions in exotic destinations and chasing interns.

You ask too much.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

Seems you're not getting a lot of traction with that rant.

Twasn't a rant. Why did you call it that?

Seems a lot of people aren't thinking about all the things that need to be un-done. The Senate not only has the power to spend money, but also the power to stop the spending of money. And what about all those judicial appointments - do you want the criminal justice system backlogged? There are things that need doing, and the Dems aren't doing it.

But hey, I guess everyone's happy with the way things are, and with a country headed for bankruptcy!

>But hey, I guess everyone's happy with the way things are

I'm not. But I will be happier if they are unable to agree to spend even more money. That's the kind of gridlock that's good for us.

If it wasn't for those pesky continuing resolutions.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

And what about all those judicial appointments - do you want the criminal justice system backlogged?

Are you really trying to put that at the feet of the Democrats? Ever hear of "secret holds"? Guess what, it's not the Democrats who are holding up all the appointments, judicial or otherwise.

- Dan G

>But hey, I guess everyone's happy with the way things are

I'm not. But I will be happier if they are unable to agree to spend even more money. That's the kind of gridlock that's good for us.

If it wasn't for those pesky continuing resolutions.

Matt

Ban Continuing Resolutions. That's one law I would not mind seeing passed.

And what about all those judicial appointments - do you want the criminal justice system backlogged? There are things that need doing, and the Dems aren't doing it.

If 19,815 appointments is considered a low year (and with the President complaining, it's probably not the Democratic leadership - delays come from the minority party), they clearly aren't actually doing much consideration on each nominee.

A more meaningful metric for this category would be the number of appointments X months old, or the mean time to approval. Some years have less appointments than others. What you really want to know is how many are being blocked, and by who.

Seems a lot of people aren't thinking about all the things that need to be un-done

Yes. There's a proven track record of things getting un-done and especially by Harry Reid.

Asking the Senate - especially this one - to undo things? Ha!

My wife is hotter than your wife.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/17/us/politics/buffett-rule-debate-blocked-by-republicans.html

In Senate, Republicans Block Debate on ‘Buffett Rule’

Published: April 16, 2012

WASHINGTON — Senate Republicanson Monday blocked a move to open debate on the so-called Buffett Rule, ensuring that a measure pressed for months by President Obama and Senate Democrats to ensure that the superrich pay a tax rate of at least 30 percent will not come to a decisive vote.

See Matthew 7:3-5. Then get back to us.

And what about all those judicial appointments - do you want the criminal justice system backlogged? There are things that need doing, and the Dems aren't doing it.

Really now? Hmm, let's take a look:

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0312/74148.html

Senate GOP impedes judicial confirmations

I urge you to do better foundational research before you post. So, far, you get an "F" in this class.

Senate Republicans Block Debate on ‘Buffett Rule’
Senate GOP impedes judicial confirmations

Well, since everyone here is claiming that they prefer the Senate do nothing, then they should be in favor of the Republicans blocking action.

Or perhaps they prefer nothing only when Dems are responsible, but "nothing" becomes a bad thing when Repubs are responsible. Go figure.

everyone here is claiming that they prefer the Senate do nothing,

I don't prefer that; and I don't endorse the idea that legislative intertia is salutary. I prefer that my governments be productive. In the case of legislatures, that means not just oversight, but the crafting and passage of legislation.

"We don't need all these new laws" is one of the dumber, albeit common, sound-bytes regularly barfed out by people who cruised by in their civics classes in Western democratic republics (not just the US). Well, sorry, but that's what legislatures are for. If people don't like it, maybe they should ponder the effect of eliminating legislatures from government and ruling solely via all-powerful executives. How well does it work for countries that are governed that way?

Good. The less they do the better. We don't need a slew of new laws.

If they do noting the bush tax cuts will end for everybody and the pentagon and domestic spending will slashed because of "the trigger" agreed to as part of the Debt deal worked out at the end of last fiscal year.

Here is to doing nothing, cheers!

I think the mantra "We need more laws" is one constantly barfed out by lawyers. Of course, most of our politicians are lawyers, so no surprise there.

You must have spent hours composing that one. Attaboy.

Do we really need MORE laws? or can we just amend the current laws to flex with the times?

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!