Ever answer your door with a gun in your hand?

I did once when I was living on my 10 acre place. About 4 AM, I woke up to someone pounding hard on my door. WTF? I grabbed my Sig 228, chambered a round leaving it cocked, then threw on some clothes and shoes. I thought that maybe there had been a car cras with injured people. I then opened the door with my foot blocking it at ~4" open with the handgun sort of behind my butt. Turns out it was some drunk guy that had a dead battery on a county road nearby. I drove him to his car to try and jump start it, but kept the (now decocked) Sig in my coat pocket. No go on the jumpstart, and he had no one he could call and didn't want a ride anywhere. Just left his ass there. I doubt he ever knew I had a gun. Prolly should have notified the cops, but didn't.

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

No; but I have with a banana in my pocket.

Was the banana locked, cocked, and ready to rock?
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

I almost did when I lived on Davis Island in Florida 10 or so years ago. Some guy, either drunk as shit or high on hard drugs, started smashing the front doors on my neighbors apartments (old school glass doors). After the first door he smashed, I saw he was bleeding being he smashed the glass with his bare arms. He moved to the next apartment, smashed the glass, went in and you could hear him screaming thrashing everything in the apartment. He moved on the the next apartment smashing the front door. My apartment was next. He didn't get my front door, maybe he was afraid of my dog barking.

After the second break in I told my girlfriend to call 911 and stay in the bedroom. My pistol was pointed at my front door. He got lucky. Had to mop up the scumbags blood from my front porch.

Never answered the door, but have "patrolled" the place a couple times after hearing people on the property or unexpected late night sounds.

Good news: never found anything suspicious.

Even better news: apparently the sight of her mostly-naked husband creeping through the house, being all protective, and checking every dark corner with a loaded .45 is a bit of a turn-on for Mrs. Elvisio. Getting back into bed has been quite entertaining on a couple occasions!

Elvisio "heh heh, something DID go 'bump in the night' " Rodriguez

ETA: I'm afraid someday my wife is going to find out I'm paying the neighbors to wander through the property every so often!

yup. . .

Neighbor two doors down knocked on my door about 1:00 am. I left the garage door open and he wanted to make sure everything was okay. He's a cop with the Sheriff's Dept. Didn't realize who was at the door till I opened it. A year later, we were both laughing about it. I asked how obvious it was that i was trying to conceal it, knowing that you can't hide that behavior from police. He laughed and said it was quite obvious and applauded my diplomatic conversation that required absolutely no body movement. he also said that when he knocked on the door, he knew to step off the porch (which makes me wonder how I carry myself, or if its general safety when knocking on a door in the early hours). I felt it important to explain my paranoia comes from living in the city where no one knocks on the door that early unless they want your keys.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Happened a few weeks ago. I was awakened at 4am with my doorbell wringing. I looked out the bedroom window and could see someone was there but I had turned the porch light out when I went to bed.

I grabbed my Glock and headed downstairs cocking it as I went down the stairs. I looked out the downstairs window and could see several people standing there. I turned the light on and opened the door slightly so I could see. I had the Glock behind my back with my finger on the trigger, ready for a confrontation.

Turns out it was 3 Police Officers. They had recieved a call from a neighbor that someone had rummaged through their car and had been driving around the neighborhood trying to spot someone. Apparently my wife had let the garage door open when she took out the trash earlier in the evening. The Police saw the garage door open and walked up my driveway and saw that the wifes car glove box was open and it's contents dumped on the seat. I just said, "Hang on a second" and shut the door and put the gun into a hallway cabinet before stepping outside. I'm pretty sure they knew I had a gun in my hand, but they never said anything.

I checked the garage and someone had stolen a spotlight I keep in there. Luckily that's all that was missing. My Harley was still there. That's the only thing in the garage I really care about. Well, that and my wife.

Doesn't everybody answer the door this way?:D

BTW, how does one cock a Glock? All of mine seem to be missing an exposed hammer to cock.:P

"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

BTW, how does one cock a Glock? All of mine seem to be missing an exposed hammer to cock.:P

Dude, don't be a Glock cock blocker. ;)

In ALL of the years that I've known you, that has to be the funniest things I've seen you post. Touché sir.:D
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Dude, don't be a Glock cock blocker. ;)

:D

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

he also said that when he knocked on the door, he knew to step off the porch (which makes me wonder how I carry myself, or if its general safety when knocking on a door in the early hours)

It is general safety when knocking on an unknown door (or a known door that might have an unknown response), regardless of the hour.

And yes, I've answered the door with a gun in my hand, but that was just because I was in gym shorts and didn't have a holster on (or my "going to the gym gun" which is a small .380 with metal clip like a knife).

Before I got my 2-wheeled take-home ride that parks in my locked garage, I had a 4-wheeled take-home that was parked on the street in front of my house. That big flashing beacon caused a few peculiar people knocking on my door over the time I had that car. Most were innocuous, one had some MHMR problems.

They all ended better than that one off-duty deputy experienced a few years ago where he was attacked by a suspect who had significant mental health issues. The suspect was driving around looking for a take-home patrol car, found one, knocked on the door and shot the off-duty officer in the door way of his own home. The officer returned fire and wounded the suspect. The officer's wife had to call dispatch for an emergency response.

I can't remember where that happened at, it came across a LEO newsletter about 5 or 6 years ago.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

HI checked the garage and someone had stolen a spotlight I keep in there. Luckily that's all that was missing. My Harley was still there. That's the only thing in the garage I really care about. Well, that and my wife.

You keep your wife in the garage?

HI checked the garage and someone had stolen a spotlight I keep in there. Luckily that's all that was missing. My Harley was still there. That's the only thing in the garage I really care about. Well, that and my wife.

You don't?
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

How else do you expect her to keep the Harley cleaned and polished?

The door I open occasionally armed, but I don't use a handgun, its a rather short Rem. 870 that can punch a hole through the side of the house if they are standing behind the door frame.

When I was stationed in AZ I had a weekend job in Vegas and always had my XD in the door pocket ready to go. I picked up a few hitch hikers so it was a handy toy to have. Plus I can fire left handed so someone in the passenger seat wasn't an issue.
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

yes...pretty much any time someone unexpectedly knocks. Most people who know me know enough that they should call or text before coming over. I've gotten so that I don't even answer unless i'm expecting someone. i'll take a peak and if I don't recognize them they can f-off. Which the last guy apparently couldn't understand. I had my garage door open so he kept knocking and knocking even though I wasn't answering. Eventually after ten minutes straight of this I grew tired of him not getting the hint. When I opened the door with my xd-40 raised in a half drawn position and asked "what the fuck do you want, can you not take a hint, I didn't answer the door because I'm not interested in whatever you are selling". He quickly left saying some shit about just selling a paper.