hyper172

Anyone else find this offensive?

No. I'd find it offensive if Fonda couldn't act, but since she has the awards to back her up in that department and looks reasonably close to Nancy Reagan it's just good casting.

Want to be offended by casting? Watch "The Green Lantern."

Lest anyone think Nancy Reagan was herself some ultra conservative war monger. . . you might want to check your history.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

No. I'd find it offensive if Fonda couldn't act, but since she has the awards to back her up in that department and looks reasonably close to Nancy Reagan it's just good casting.

Want to be offended by casting? Watch "The Green Lantern."

Lest anyone think Nancy Reagan was herself some ultra conservative war monger. . . you might want to check your history.

Pretty stupid decision by the casting director. I'm sure there are a lot of Republicans, Conservatives and former military, regardless of party affiliation, who will not pay to see the movie because they detest Fonda for her support of the NVA. It really has nothing to do with her acting ability. Jane Fonda has suffered her entire life due to her controversial stand against the U.S.

Jane Fonda has suffered her entire life due to her controversial stand against the U.S.

Part of that is true and part of it isn't. The military has vilified her, but she wasn't against the US, she was against the war and the people in power who perpetuated it.

The problem comes, as it always does, when people can't separate the two.
quade -

Jane Fonda has suffered her entire life due to her controversial stand against the U.S.

Part of that is true and part of it isn't. The military has vilified her, but she wasn't against the US, she was against the war and the people in power who perpetuated it.

Might want to read up on some of the stuff she said on Radio Hanoi during that time period.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Might want to read up on some of the stuff she said on Radio Hanoi during that time period.

I have. She wasn't against the US. She was against the war and against the leadership.

There's a difference.
quade -

I have. She wasn't against the US. She was against the war and against the leadership.

There's a difference.

There's a difference between speaking out against the war to other American citizens and doing it in the country of our opponents, as well. I presume you're familiar with the term "aid and comfort to the enemy"?
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Yeah, yeah, yeah . . . get over your indignation. She didn't say anything bad about you or your pappy.

Thanks for proving the point that you're just as blinded by YOUR viewpoint as you claim other are.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Yeah, yeah, yeah . . . get over your indignation. She didn't say anything bad about you or your pappy.

Thanks for proving the point that you're just as blinded by YOUR viewpoint as you claim other are.

No. MY point was the claim made by Grav in post #3 of this thread is inaccurate.

Let's revisit it.

Again, she wasn't against the US. She was against the war and its leaders.

Her stance was roughly analogous to millions of other US citizens at the time as well as millions of other Americans today over the war in Iran.

A person can be against war and the reasons for going to war and still be for their country.
quade -

No. MY point was the claim made by Grav in post #3 of this thread is inaccurate.

Let's revisit it.

Again, she wasn't against the US. She was against the war and its leaders.

Her stance was roughly analogous to millions of other US citizens at the time as well as millions of other Americans today over the war in Iran.

A person can be against war and the reasons for going to war and still be for their country.

Millions of other citizens weren't doing radio broadcasts from within Vietnam that encouraged the VC to keep fighting. It wasn't her position, it was her words/actions.

Analogy fail.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Millions of other citizens weren't doing radio broadcasts from within Vietnam that encouraged the VC to keep fighting.

Please provide a link to substantiate your claims she "encouraged the VC to keep fighting."

An actual recording would be nice.
quade -

Millions of other citizens weren't doing radio broadcasts from within Vietnam that encouraged the VC to keep fighting.

Please provide a link to substantiate your claims she "encouraged the VC to keep fighting."

Provide a link to substantiate that her broadcasts didn't have any effect over/above that of demonstrations Stateside.

I'm sure we can get people like Max to testify as to the effect of in-person speeches in a war zone vs. announcements from thousands of miles away.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Provide a link to substantiate that her broadcasts didn't have any effect over/above that of demonstrations Stateside.

I'm sure we can get people like Max to testify as to the effect of in-person speeches in a war zone vs. announcements from thousands of miles away.

Oh . . . so now she didn't actually say it . . . it just had an "effect."

Nice.
quade -

Oh . . . so now she didn't actually say it . . . it just had an "effect."

Nice.

"Aid and comfort"
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

The issue I have with Fonda is that she let what I'm sure started as a stance against war in general and our country's involvement in it turn into a distrust of anything "our side" said and an accepting of what the opponents said. Being "against the war" stops short of actively feeding the opponent's propaganda machine, and she crossed the line on a number of occasions. I don't go so far as to call her a traitor or to buy into the exaggerated stories about her, but I think service members past and present are right to have contempt for her considering some of the things she's said about them in a general way.

You hear the statement all the time these days that you can be against the war and still support the troops, and that's absolutely true. But guess what, you can think Vietnam was a bad idea and that we shouldn't have gotten involved and still think Jane Fonda was a useful idiot to the NVA and is a thoughtless and self-centered person. I think it's the people that defend her that have a hard time separating things.

I see the same thing in the Af/Pak war when the Taliban claims that there were mostly women and children killed in every airstrike that occurs and people that are "just against war" eat it up. And when our government says, "there's actually been very few civilian casualties." people call bullshit.

Because the line appears thin to some I'll give an illustrative example. In response to the recent civilian shootings in Kandahar you can argue, "Look, our soldiers are stretched thin over multiple deployments, we're not achieving anything or at least not anything that's going to last at this point, and soldiers snapping and doing things like this is just going to get worse and is just going to make it worse." or you can argue, "We don't belong over there and our soldiers are just butchering civilians anyway."

I'll agree it's a matter of degrees and point of view.

So, does it make it that it's offensive Fonda is cast in a walk-on part as Nancy Reagan?

Meh.

Somebody said it was a mistake of the casting director. Really? Look at all the free press it has generated.
quade -

I'll agree it's a matter of degrees and point of view.

So, does it make it that it's offensive Fonda is cast in a walk-on part as Nancy Reagan?

I don't think Nancy Reagan has done anything aside from "be a first lady to a republican governor and president" such that having Jane Fonda portray her would be especially offensive. So getting worked up beyond Fonda appearing as any non-fictional character is pretty silly.