J-S

.22 pistol recommendations...

Hey SC people.

I'm looking to get my girl a .22 pistol as a starter gun. Trying to work her up to at least a 9mm for home defense.

She's always has hated guns (she's been robbed at gunpoint, we have something in common finally:|), even though I have a couple firearms in our home, but they are too big of caliber for her to handle yet.

Took her to the range today with a Sig Mosquito a friend lent me. She had a great time! and overcame her fear.

I own a P229, nothing bad about the Sig except the heavy trigger pull, which was her only complaint in DA with the Mosquito. I dont think theres a short trigger reset option as of yet, nor would I want to drop the cash for trigger work with a pistol I hope she'll outgrow sooner than later. I'm looking to buy her the Mosquito since I like the quality of Sigs. Any other .22 pistols I should look at before I commit to this one that she might like with a lighter trigger pull?

I really like my Walther P-22. Its very ergonomic, comes with 2 backstraps so you can change them out for the best fit for your hand, its lightweight, light trigger pull and has a nice laser accessory that slides right onto the picatinny rail and looks like the gun was made with it. It also has a threaded barrel on the short barrel model, which was important to me because I bought it for a suppresor host.
Drawbacks are it is fairly difficult to reassemble after cleaning for anyone not really familiar with how to use the buffer rod to reinsert the spring. It is also not the most accurate gun I have ever shot, but for plinking its great. Also cheaper than the Mosquito at most gun stores I have seen.
You may also want to look at the Browning Buckmark - its a target .22 pistol, and one of the best on the market in my opinion - but like the Sig, you are going to pay for it.

As for me and my house, we will serve the LORD...

I had a High Standard 22 auto that I gave to my daughter. It had about a four or five inch barrel on it. It had a wonderful trigger, and was extremely accurate. I bought that pistol from Dad, when I was a teenager. That was almost 50 years ago. It shoots as good today as it ever did.

I bought a 22 Taurus, nine shot, revolver a few years back. It shoots very well, and the trigger isn't bad. It's reasonably priced, and I'd recommend it.

As a starter gun for learning to shoot? Hard to beat a Ruger Mk I, II or III.

I've got a rugar mkIII in my collection. Out of all the guns I have my girlfriend always goes back to shooting this one. She simply loves it. Mine is the "22/45" version. These guns have the same ergonomics as a 1911 I believe and make for some very affordable shooting.

Your post made dig out an old Ruger semiauto pistol my dad gave me 10 years or so ago. When he gave it to me I assumed it was a MKI that we had as kids in the 1970's, and because I was so busy with work and stuff, I just checked that it was clean, oiled it really well and safely stored it, then kind of forgot about it. I pulled it out yesterday, and it's a 1986 MKII that may have never been fired outside of the factory. The thing is like brand new. Breech face is all blue, and the exterior bluing is perfect. Mag has no evidence of use. Not sure if I should shoot it or not.

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

The GSG 1911 is a great entry pistol to start on and progress to a larger caliber. Of the .22 cal pistols out there, this one has a fairly consistent track record where some of the others seem to be hit and miss on their performance/build quality. It's easy to handle, doesn't feel like a toy and approx 80% of the parts are interchangeable with the standard 1911 so you can actually tweak this pistol to your liking. I own one and have no complaints with it and I have easily several thousand rounds through mine so far, thats the great thing about 22 caliber rounds and price of ammo.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Probably not worth keeping unfired unless your going to keep it for another 30-50 years.;)

I have a 50th anniversary mark II that I haven't chosen to fire yet. Had two NIB, sold one, but can't bring myself to shoot it. Of course they made the limited edition 50th anniversary for 3 or 4 years.>:( I've actually been looking for another Mark II. Also have a target version I do use. If the mags were cross compatible I might not care. But still have a bad impression of the III since they had to take it off the market after introduction to fix the dropped firing caused by the exposed extractor on the rimfire cases.:S

But, Mark II's do seem to be going fast and for a premium. Can't find a Mark II around.

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I'll probably put a couple hundred rounds through it this weekend. Shoot some Peeps for Easter:D

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

I enjoy shooting and am not a gunophobe to use a term that some around here bandy about but I have a question.

If your girl is adverse to firearms in the first place I'm wondering if she has it in her to kill someone even if she gets over her aversion to firearms. Ask yourself what would have happened when she was robbed at gunpoint if she'd pulled out a pistol that she wasn't prepared to kill with? Put yourself in the robbers place, you're robbing this chick and just want her money, cards and jewellery when all of a sudden she draws down on you.

Chance are you'd have a dead girlfriend by now.

If she hasn't got it in her to be able to kill (or to handle the consequences of killing afterwards) then you're best option might be improving your home's security and working on your own weapon skills.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca