CornishChris

What should the drinking age be in the US?

I say 18, if you're old enough to vote, carry a rifle, and go to war you should be able to drink shitty low alcohol beer.

What about 190-proof Everclear? :P

Is it possible to taste anything at that concentration?
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

What about 190-proof Everclear? :P

Is it possible to taste anything at that concentration?

It's probably been 20 years since I've had any Everclear, and I don't actually remember if it was the 190 or the weaker one. And I don't think I ever tried it straight... only had it in "trash can punch" at some of the, umm.... "classy" parties I used to go to. But I seem to recall that I couldn't taste it in the punch, even though it was really potent, so I'm guessing it doesn't have much flavor to it.

It has already been stated that different people mature at different rates so how about tying to drink to something other than age?

Say, you couldn't drink until you successfully graduated from High School? Some people would be able to start drinking at the age of 13, others wouldn't ever be able to legally drink. :D

Everyone here is still mentioning age, so I thought I would throw out another mile stone instead of number.

How about when you are able to move out of your parents house?
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

Everyone here is still mentioning age, so I thought I would throw out another mile stone instead of number.

I think it is more: When are your parents able to legally throw you out on your ass and not be liable for you anymore? (which according to USAA is 21)

Your post seems to suggest that if you still live at your parents' house you aren't old enough to drink. What if you (for whatever reason) are still living with Mom and Dad at 35? Teatotaltime? Maybe so, then you can save that money to move out. :P
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

I imagine people are mentioning age as my original question was "What should the age be?". May be wrong though ;)

It does seem ridiculous that a voting person who is married, possibly with child/ren, who can fight and die for their country and drive a car but can be arrested for holding a can of beer.

I liked the earlier suggestion of making everything the same age (marriage, voting, fighting, drinking etc.) With the exception perhaps of driving. Interesting to see that the majority, according to the poll, seem to agree with this although there are a large number going for 21 although they seem under-represented in the actual comments - speak up...

CJP

Gods don't kill people. People with Gods kill people

Everything legalwise is the same age. This is about Age of Majority. Being able to legally drink alcohol has nothing to do with being a legal adult. It's about the legal age of being able to do a certain action. You can't run for President under the age of 34 here. You can't drink below the age of 21. But both are older than 18.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Here is what MADD has to say about 21 being the drinking age:
http://www.madd.org/underage-drinking/why21/

And I tend to agree with them. But I also agree that if one is old enough to join the military, then they should also be able to make decisions about alcohol. Hey, maybe the age for joining the military should be raised. Honestly, I've always thought 18 was a bit young, or at least too young to be sent in to battle.

Among all the other reasons stated, if you are old enough to serve, fight and possibly die for your country, you are old enough to drink.

I disagree. People mature differently. Some clearly do not have the maturity to serve, fight or vote, simply based on the number of years they have been on the Earth.

Agreed. Never understood the rationale behind "old enough to fight, old enough to drink." What is the logical equivalency between those 2 that indicates the age should be the same. Makes as much sense as 'old enough to swing a hammer, old enough to vote.' How about 'old enough to control my bowels, old enough to drink alcohol.'
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

In the 70's, New Mexico had a 3.2 law. If you were 18 you could drink if it contained 3.2% or less alcohol.

Thank God for Coors! B|

eta: Coors made a special 3.2 beer just for NM.

So, just a bit stronger than the piss-water they marketed everywhere else?
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

And I tend to agree with them. But I also agree that if one is old enough to join the military, then they should also be able to make decisions about alcohol. Hey, maybe the age for joining the military should be raised. Honestly, I've always thought 18 was a bit young, or at least too young to be sent in to battle.

Easy for you to say. You are not in the military and don't deal with this. 18 year olds have learned the dicipline and responsibility of Service in peacetime and wartime. They have that capability. What 18 year olds don't have is the capability to be responsible with alcohol. There's a difference between Service and drinking.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

I think it is more: When are your parents able to legally throw you out on your ass and not be liable for you anymore? (which according to USAA is 21)

Your post seems to suggest that if you still live at your parents' house you aren't old enough to drink. What if you (for whatever reason) are still living with Mom and Dad at 35? Teatotaltime? Maybe so, then you can save that money to move out. :P

Well, I have been old enough to drink and haven't lived with my parents for a couple of decades now, but if I find my self in a position where I had to move back in with them, I would probably give up booze, spend all my free time looking for jobs and submitting resumes, and scrimping my money to move out as fast as possible.....

I'm pretty sure that is what adults do.....

But I do know a couple of 35 year olds that live on their parents couch with only an Xbox. They probably need to give up booze and drugs....:S
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

18 year olds have learned the dicipline and responsibility of Service in peacetime and wartime.

I was not suggesting that they don't have this capability. I was thinking more along the lines of 18-year-olds (possibly) not having the emotional maturity to adequately deal with the traumatic situations they might encounter in wartime. Thereby putting them at a higher risk for PTSD, and associated problems such as alcohol abuse.

But you're right; I'm not in the military, so I am not speaking with any authority. It's just something I have wondered about.

18 year olds have learned the dicipline and responsibility of Service in peacetime and wartime.

I was not suggesting that they don't have this capability. I was thinking more along the lines of 18-year-olds (possibly) not having the emotional maturity to adequately deal with the traumatic situations they might encounter in wartime. Thereby putting them at a higher risk for PTSD, and associated problems such as alcohol abuse.

But you're right; I'm not in the military, so I am not speaking with any authority. It's just something I have wondered about.

Sorry, getting snippy again. Bad day.

Young in age is one of the things that makes PTSD more succeptable. Race also has a factor as well as the type of support you have at home.

Any younger and you're probably doing stupid shit while drunk.

If you remember, prohibition didn't work.....:ph34r:

Problem is he does remember Prohibition. :D

I was 21 before I discovered bathtubs were for bathing...not gin.
:D:D
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Well, what other standard t we have to determine drinking age than age itself?

Age has no bearing on maturity. It doesn't matter what other things one is allowed to do (military, etc) if you're not mature enough to handle alcohol, you have no business drinking it....laws or no laws.

Using military service as justification for consuming alcohol is just that....justification. No more, no less.

And yes, old woman...we allow "children" into the military.

I still like the age limit of 72.
By that time, you're too old to do most of the stupid shit drinkers do.

if you're not mature enough to handle alcohol, you have no business drinking it....laws or no laws.

Ya...who needs laws, surely they're mature enough to realize that...:P
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

A Hornet driver once told me the reason the deck of an aircraft carrier is covered with 17 & 18 year olds...is because it's kinda tough to get anyone with any real life experience and maturity, to believe being next to a rack of bombs with a hose full of fuel while standing in front of a rocket landing on a boat is a GOOD idea! :ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Never understood the rationale behind "old enough to fight, old enough to drink."

That's because that particular rationale was developed during a much different time than today: during the Vietnam war, when the military draft existed and was a HUGE hot topic of debate. Being in my 50's, I clearly recall that time in history, as well as the social debates of the day.

At that time, there were 2 parallel slogans: "Old enough to fight, old enough to vote", and "Old enough to fight, old enough to drink". The rationale-of-the-time being: "If at age 18 I'm old enough to be drafted to go die in Vietnam (for what??), I should be entitled to vote for the assholes who are sending me there"; and/or: "If I'm old enough to be trusted (read: forced) to fight and die for my country like an adult, the least my country can do for me is to let me buy a beer like an adult."

My own opinion, geared to today: Drunk-driving is a significant traffic safety problem, and it does seem that the incidence of alcohol-related crashes involving young people has reduced measurably since the previously-lower drinking ages were bumped back up to 21. However, on policy, I'd support an exemption (i.e., down to age 18) for active-duty military personnel.

I'd support an exemption (i.e., down to age 18) for active-duty military personnel.

What about young parents? Forbiding a single mother to unwind with a nice glass of wine is a matter of national security...
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

With parental supervision.... Whatever age the parents see fit.

Without, 18. You can vote and die for the US, you should be allowed to drink.

You could make things more difficult to outlaw ANY driving if you have been drinking. I'd be OK with that.

Forbiding a single mother to unwind with a nice glass of wine is a matter of national security...

I think they should outlaw MD20-20.

Easy for you to say. You are not in the military and don't deal with this. 18 year olds have learned the dicipline and responsibility of Service in peacetime and wartime. They have that capability. What 18 year olds don't have is the capability to be responsible with alcohol. There's a difference between Service and drinking.

Accident statistics suggest that 18 year old males don't have the capability to be responsible with automobiles.

I'd prefer to let them drink and not drive, rather than drive and not drink.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.