jclalor

Florida Teen Shot

I have no reason to doubt what Z said about following, losing the guy, and then returning towards his vehicle, then being confronted by TM.

OK, so you believe Z's story and think that Martin's girlfriend's story (which conflicts with Z's) was made up. I don't see how you can come to a conclusion either way, but you're certainly entitled to your opinion.

I'm not familiar with any law that give someone the legal right to physically attack someone just because they are being followed. I'm pretty sure the proper action is to call the police and let them deal with that person.

With the current (conflicting) evidence, we have no way of knowing if Martin was "just being followed," or if he was confronted by Zimmerman. Being followed would probably make most people suspicious, and I agree that the proper action would usually be to call the police and let them deal with that person. If Zimmerman had followed that advice (let the police deal with the suspicious person), we probably wouldn't be talking about him right now.

Zimmerman called the Police. Martin did not call the Police.

I'm not familiar with any law that give someone the legal right to physically attack someone just because they are being followed. I'm pretty sure the proper action is to call the police and let them deal with that person.

With the current (conflicting) evidence, we have no way of knowing if Martin was "just being followed," or if he was confronted by Zimmerman. Being followed would probably make most people suspicious, and I agree that the proper action would usually be to call the police and let them deal with that person. If Zimmerman had followed that advice (let the police deal with the suspicious person), we probably wouldn't be talking about him right now.

Zimmerman called the Police.

And went off following the suspicious person rather than waiting for the police to deal with him.

And went off following the suspicious person rather than waiting for the police to deal with him.

How do you know that?

How do you know that?

I can't be 100% sure, but the transcript of Zimmerman's phone call to police shows the dispatcher asking Z if he's following the guy, to which Z answers, "Yeah." I don't know of Z or anyone else disputing this evidence.

How do you know that?

I can't be 100% sure, but the transcript of Zimmerman's phone call to police shows the dispatcher asking Z if he's following the guy, to which Z answers, "Yeah." I don't know of Z or anyone else disputing this evidence.

Why would he call the Police and then go off following him instead of waiting for the Police to deal with the situation? Wouldn't it be more likely that he was just trying to see where TM was going so that when the Police arrived he could tell them which direction TM was headed?

Why would he call the Police and then go off following him instead of waiting for the Police to deal with the situation?

I don't know why he did that. He could have stayed in his vehicle until the police arrived and then pointed them in the direction that he saw the "suspicious person" go.

If I was watching a suspicious-looking person from my vehicle, and they suddenly took off running, I would assume that getting out and following them might be putting myself in danger. So I would have to have a really good reason for doing that. I don't know what Z's reason was.

If Zimmerman had followed that advice (let the police deal with the suspicious person), we probably wouldn't be talking about him right now.

Accept for the fact many have convicted him already

Last I knew, (but the law does seem to matter much less lately) people were innocent until being convicted

Which it seems many have convicted him already
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

If Zimmerman had followed that advice (let the police deal with the suspicious person), we probably wouldn't be talking about him right now.

Accept for the fact many have convicted him already

Last I knew, (but the law does seem to matter much less lately) people were innocent until being convicted

Which it seems many have convicted him already

They may have convicted him in their minds, but he's not actually convicted.

In my eyes, he is innocent until proven guilty. And from what I've seen, my guess is that there is not enough evidence to prove to a jury beyond a reasonable doubt that he is guilty of second-degree murder. Manslaughter, perhaps, but I honestly don't know, and it's not up to me.

Anyhow, my point was that if he had taken the common sense advice of letting the police handle the situation (not getting out of his vehicle to follow TM), we probably wouldn't be talking about him right now because he probably never would have had a reason to shoot Trayvon Martin.

Anyhow, my point was that if he had taken the common sense advice of letting the police handle the situation (not getting out of his vehicle to follow TM), we probably wouldn't be talking about him right now because he probably never would have had a reason to shoot Trayvon Martin.

And if Trayvon Martin had taken the common sense advice of continuing to the house instead of doubling back to confront/attack George Zimmerman, we wouldn't be talking about this right now.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

And if Trayvon Martin had taken the common sense advice of continuing to the house instead of doubling back to confront/attack George Zimmerman, we wouldn't be talking about this right now.

Or if TM had done what GZ did and simply called the Police, we wouldn't be talking about this now.

You don't know that Trayvon doubled back or that he was the one who started the confrontation. Only two people have stories about this (GZ and TM's girlfriend), and they conflict with each other. But, of course, you can choose to believe one over the other. Personally, I'll leave it as I don't know who confronted whom.

You don't know that Trayvon doubled back

Since you've listened to the 911 call, you certainly recall that Zimmerman didn't want to give out his address because he didn't know where Martin was.

So, how *else* did Martin end up back at the scene?

But, of course, you can choose to believe one over the other. Personally, I'll leave it as I don't know who confronted whom.

Funny, the tenor of your posts seem to suggest otherwise.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Since you've listened to the 911 call, you certainly recall that Zimmerman didn't want to give out his address because he didn't know where Martin was.

So, how *else* did Martin end up back at the scene?

Who knows? Zimmerman may have continued looking for him. Martin may have come back to confront Zimmerman. I have no reason to believe Zimmerman over Martin's girlfriend, or her over him.

I honestly don't understand how some people have so confidently picked sides in this case. There are very few clear details.

I may have missed it in all the reporting but I wonder when Zim's call to the 911 operator ended. I think they like to stay connected until LE, Rescue, etc. is on the scene. Anyone recall?

I don't think it was even a 911 call. Seems like they said he had called the "non-emergency" number, or something like that. But it doesn't appear that he was still on the call when the confrontation happened (unfortunately - if he had been, it would be a lot more clear who started it).

It's a little bit similar

If you think... But in one case a guy picked up a gun and went into a KNOWN situation. The other is a guy that had a gun and came across a situation. One a guy was just a homeowner, the other he was the neighborhood watch captain. One the guy went to engage, the other he went to investigate. One case the guy started the confrontation, the other he claims he was just observing and then LEFT the area and was attacked.

Vastly different situations.

One the guy went to engage, the other he went to investigate. One case the guy started the confrontation, the other he claims he was just observing and then LEFT the area and was attacked.

We don't know exactly why Zimmerman left his truck, getting himself further into the "situation," or that he did not start the confrontation. It's quite possible that his story is true, but we have no way of knowing. I guess one of the main differences in the two cases is that there is more known about what actually happened in the TX case.

Oh, and Z didn't claim that he had LEFT the area; he said he was leaving the area. But the location where TM was shot does not either confirm nor contradict Z's claim.

It's a little bit similar

If you think... But in one case a guy picked up a gun and went into a KNOWN situation. The other is a guy that had a gun and came across a situation. One a guy was just a homeowner, the other he was the neighborhood watch captain. One the guy went to engage, the other he went to investigate. One case the guy started the confrontation, the other he claims he was just observing and then LEFT the area and was attacked.

Vastly different situations.

A neighborhood watch captain, by definition, goes out looking for trouble.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

We don't know exactly why Zimmerman left his truck, getting himself further into the "situation," or that he did not start the confrontation.

We know he left his truck to follow the guy. He states that himself. We also know he said he turned around when the dispatcher told him that it was not needed. We do know that Martin's GF said he turned around and started a discussion with Zimmerman:

"DeeDee said Martin turned around and asked Zimmerman why he was following him. "The man said what are you doing around here?" DeeDee recalled".

We also know that Martin never called the police and Zimmerman DID.

I guess one of the main differences in the two cases is that there is more known about what actually happened in the TX case.

Another major difference between the two cases.

Well, "looking for suspicious activity" might be a more appropriate description than "looking for trouble." I'm pretty sure that neighborhood watch programs stress that volunteers should only REPORT suspicious activity to law enforcement; NEVER investigate it on their own.

Try reading it again. I never said he didn't go out looking for trouble, I said one went out into a known situation VS coming across one. One went out to engage, one went out to investigate.

Definitions are important, paying attention to detail is as well.

We do know that Martin's GF said he turned around and started a discussion with Zimmerman:

"DeeDee said Martin turned around and asked Zimmerman why he was following him. "The man said what are you doing around here?" DeeDee recalled".

Which contradicts Z's account of what was said and done. So we don't know what actually happened at this point, one way or another.

We also know that Martin never called the police and Zimmerman DID.

And the guy who got killed in Texas never called the police, but his shooter DID. What does that have to do with anything? (Aside from being another similarity between the two cases. :P)

Try reading it again. I never said he didn't go out looking for trouble, I said one went out into a known situation VS coming across one. One went out to engage, one went out to investigate.

I guess you forgot what you wrote in post #2276, this thread:P

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I guess you forgot what you wrote in post #2276, this thread:P

Zimmerman was not on duty as neighborhood watchman, he was simply returning home from somewhere. So he was not actively 'looking for trouble' as you so elequently put it...
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone