airdvr

Worker's Comp - the gov't tit no one talks about

There's so much fraud and abuse in Ohio's BWC program that over 50% of the press releases this year are stories about fraud.

Since you just dont have any data, it could very well be that fraud is so rare that when it happens, it's a huge deal that consumes all their PR resources.

(I know, not very likely, but using press release subjects to measure fraud really is about as useless as you can get)
Remster

https://www.ohiobwc.com/home/current/ReleaseArchive12.asp

Of the 15 press releases on the Media page 8 are about fraud and abuse. In Ohio, if you get a workers comp claim award it's like hitting the lottery.

When I was on WC 10 years ago, the dumb-ass insurance company could have had my surgery for bilateral carpal tunnel done in 2 months. they choose to take 3 years. They ended up paying 75% of my highest amount earned in the previous year, with all the overtime from then, I made more than I would have on a 40 hour check. I got these checks for three years.

They also paid all my tuition, books, and milage for three years for me to get my nursing degree.

Then I got a $40,000 settlement.

And some of you guys wonder why I vote Democrat.;)

Of the 15 press releases on the Media page 8 are about fraud and abuse. In Ohio, if you get a workers comp claim award it's like hitting the lottery.

When I was on WC 10 years ago, the dumb-ass insurance company could have had my surgery for bilateral carpal tunnel done in 2 months. they choose to take 3 years. They ended up paying 75% of my highest amount earned in the previous year, with all the overtime from then, I made more than I would have on a 40 hour check. I got these checks for three years.

They also paid all my tuition, books, and milage for three years for me to get my nursing degree.

Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on Paul's support.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

That might not have been his fault. It sounds like the insurance company could've paid for his surgery and gotten him back to work quickly. They chose not to do so, which cost them a lot more money in the long run, probably let the injury worsen, and resulted in having to pay for vocational rehab (retraining).

Sometimes, insurance companies will string people along on claims they should pay hoping the injured people will give up and go on disability instead. Some do. Those that don't end up costing the insurance company a lot more money, because they're paying for lost wages, attorneys, and sometimes retraining and medical procedures that wouldn't have been necessary if the company had treated the injured employee properly from the get-go.

Yes, there is work comp fraud, there is malingering after a legit injury, but most of the time when a claim makes it to court, it's a legitimately injured person who has a different definition of "all better" and "medically necessary" than the insurance company does.

It never would have even occured to me to get an attorney if they would have payed for the $800 diagnostic test when it was advised by my MD. They waited a year hoping I would go away, they also did not pay me a dime the first year, state disability did,and was later payed back to the state by WC.

Most insurance companys have no financial interest in doing the right thing in a timely manner.