jclalor

Ethnic diversity fading at UC Berkleley

Yale called it a "legacy admit" when GWB was admitted. Something to do with his grandfather Prescott being a major donor.

I call that "ensuring diversity." It wasn't like he was going to win admission on his own merits.

Well, I'm not so sure he was as stupid as he made himself out to be. I think he just acted stupid to appeal to Republicans.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I'm about three years out of engineering school at a large public university. I seems like you couldn't even turn around there without hearing someone from the administration talking about how they needed to take some new fancy named program or support group to include more females in the department.

I also new a couple interior designer majors. That department is about 95% female, or even more gender unbalanced than the engineering department. Yet there was not a peep about how unfair this was and not even a thought about special support groups for men. Any ideas why?

Yale called it a "legacy admit" when GWB was admitted. Something to do with his grandfather Prescott being a major donor.

I call that "ensuring diversity." It wasn't like he was going to win admission on his own merits.

And he *still* had a higher GPA than Kerry - admittedly, only by one point. :P
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Well, I'm not so sure he was as stupid as he made himself out to be. I think he just acted stupid to appeal to Republicans.

Well then, he was a damned good actor!
I'm betting he majored in Drama.
You know how it is with one school of acting....just be yourself, eh?
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I called it a lock.

I've always wondered how the lefties would try to reconcile "Bush, the Cunning Conspirator" with "Bush, the Idiot". It's not GWB that is the dumbass! ....it's US! :D

However, I'm sure that if you were to audit their admissions office, you would probably find some preferential treatment. Since Asians are "minorities" in America, I'm sure they never expected to be called on it.

http://opa.berkeley.edu/statistics/enrollmentData.html
~~We are caught in an inescapable network of mutuality, tied in a single garment of destiny. Whatever affects one directly, affects all indirectly~~MLK

The universities will continue to sink money into opulent surroundings, free educations to minorities, hookers and blow for the football teams, and high salaries for the teachers.....

And my lily white ass will be stuck paying Asian prices for my kids to go to college......:S

Honey, you left out us single, unwed, welfare moms leaching off the system...... yeah baby, full ride. No loans no debt! I am sure my brains have nothing to do with my admission to this mediocre institution.

Maybe it was my boobs!
~~We are caught in an inescapable network of mutuality, tied in a single garment of destiny. Whatever affects one directly, affects all indirectly~~MLK

Maybe it was my boobs!

Since this isn't the Bonfire, the obvious requests should be left out
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

So, what's it gonna be?
-Enter because you're qualified or,
-Enter because of your ethic origins.

Seems pretty simple to me.

Like button!

Simple solution would be to take the student's ethnicity off of the college application. Let the best students win, your feelings about demographics be damned, if you can't cut it you shouldn't be there.
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

While we're at it, maybe we should remove the name and gender, as well as where they come from -- heck, leave only the SAT scores and GPA.

That would make it really, really easy to select applicants, wouldn't it? Just pick the highest ones.

Ethnicity shouldn't be THE reason for accepting someone, just as nationality, whether you're a veteran, rich, poor, etc. But these are factors that help to make up the whole of a student.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

While we're at it, maybe we should remove the name and gender, as well as where they come from -- heck, leave only the SAT scores and GPA.

I like this just fine for those admissions professionals that are unable to keep their biases out of their choices when trying to assess character based on actions alone.

Anything else, is just advocating some form of favoritism - one way or the other.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

nationality, whether you're a veteran, rich, poor, etc. But these are factors that help to make up the whole of a student.

disagree - with the exception of veteran (you choose to serve), these are not items that relate to the choices of the student. and the student's choices are what comprise his character. not color, not his parent's income, not hair color, not eye color, not gender

the best one can do with those items is to make inferences based on your own personal stereotypes - usually wrong, usually political, usually to the (unfair) disadvantage of the student

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

What is college for? Just for the imparting of technical knowledge for a specific job? Or does it include dealing with people, knowledge, and sitautions that they might not have been exposed to in high school and family?

Personally, I think it's both, and that the knowledge you get in dealing with people and situations will last a lot longer than the specifics of technical knowledge during a 4-year period.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

you get that with life during any 4 year period - one would argue that college dampens that experience, not enhances it

we're talking about why it's acceptable or not for admissions to include the personal bias of the admissions officials on cosmetic nonsense

personally, I think it's wrong - content of character should not be judged by looking at skin color or equally moronic criteria

I have a hard time believing that you disagree with my basic statement - that a person is defined by their choices, and not constrained to just that stuff they are born with

GPA, SAT's, Extracurriculars, and perhaps an essay is all an admissions department needs.

Gender, socioeconomic status, race, location, even their name aren't needed to make an unbiased decision.

Perhaps if we start the common sense in academia, it can filter to the rest of society so we can truly end racism and sexism.
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

Perhaps if we start the common sense in academia,

stop it, stop it, you're killing me, I had just taken a drink of water

the best one can do with those items is to make inferences based on your own personal stereotypes - usually wrong, usually political, usually to the (unfair) disadvantage of the student

Bingo. Good stuff.

What is college for?

Job applications.

....the knowledge you get in dealing with people and situations will last a lot longer than the specifics of technical knowledge during a 4-year period.

It's not the college's job to raise emotionally well-rounded scholars. That's Mom's job.

Besides, eliminating ethic considerations for entry would not eliminate the opportunities for students to deal with people, knowledge, and situations that they might not have been exposed to in high school and family.

IMO, it would help the students learn more and better by not having to deal with the distractions of the unqualified in class.

Perhaps if we start the common sense in academia,

stop it, stop it, you're killing me, I had just taken a drink of water

Made you think of The Nutty Professor, didn't it?
:D:D