JohnRich

New York to shut down gun ballistics database

News:
Critics: Cuomo plan would hurt crime-fighting

Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo's proposal to shut a state ballistics database that he says has been costly and has helped solve too few crimes has sparked a sharp debate among state legislators.

Cuomo's proposal got cheers from some Republicans who say New York's Combined Ballistic Identification System, or CoBIS, is a "waste of time, money and manpower..."

The state's ballistic database was designed to help identify guns used in crimes by comparing markings on expended casings with shell markings that gunsmiths and dealers must send to State Police for every firearm sold in the state. But it hasn't been utilized, the governor's office said.

"Against the ballistic information for thousands of weapons entered into the system since its inception, only a few matches have been made and no associated crimes have been solved," Morris Peters, a spokesman for the governor's budget office, said in an email. "Given the frequency of violent crimes being committed with firearms that are either reported stolen or were transported into the state illegally, CoBIS cannot be called an effective crime-fighting tool..."
Full story: Newsday

They only wasted 44 million dollars of their citizens money to recognize the folly of this kind of gun control...

They only wasted 44 million dollars of their citizens money to recognize the folly of this kind of gun control...

While I don't see how this is "gun control", I very much like the idea of getting rid of programs that aren't accomplishing their aims. I think every law creating a government program should clearly state the objectives of the program, and have a timetable where the program is automatically reviewed, and those that aren't working are cancelled instead of living on forever due to political considerations.

Don

While I don't see how this is "gun control", I very much like the idea of getting rid of programs that aren't accomplishing their aims.

It's a common form of gun control - where you make purchases as expensive as possible to reduce the size of the population that can afford it. Requiring a spent shell fired and submitted for each gun sold costs money. Guess who pays it?

Same applies to proposals that buyers must go to the sheriff and prove competency in person.

While I don't see how this is "gun control", I very much like the idea of getting rid of programs that aren't accomplishing their aims.

It's a common form of gun control - where you make purchases as expensive as possible to reduce the size of the population that can afford it. Requiring a spent shell fired and submitted for each gun sold costs money. Guess who pays it?

Same applies to proposals that buyers must go to the sheriff and prove competency in person.

and it ends being a registry

do you know if private sales in NY require paper work to transfer the weapon ownership? the reason I ask is, I wonder how the data base would follow the gun owner to owner if sold
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

After wasting $44 million of the New York taxpayers money on the CoBIS system, and deciding to shut it down because it hasn't solved a single crime, the New York legislature has decided to try something else - yet another ballistic identification system with no proven track record!

Law enforcement leaders push for microstamping

"Law enforcement leaders from the area joined Democratic legislators Tuesday to push for detailed identification of bullet shell casings. It's called microstamping. A specific identification sequence can be put on each bullet as it is fired..."

Story: http://wnyt.com/article/stories/S2496555.shtml

Hope springs eternal for the gun-o-phobes. What the heck, it's not *their* money that's being spent. And if it limits the guns that can be owned by the citizenry, then it's all good!

makes a little sense, though. As NYC finally must let its citizens buy handguns, there isn't quite the same preexisting supply of guns that would completely escape the new technology fantasy. After all, no one could possibly have a gun in spite of the laws, and 10 years from now couldn't possibly find one with which to commit a crime.

If I were a gangbanger, I think for fun I would scatter casings at my crime scenes, collected from a range.

Is that where they learn to hold their guns sideways?

No. It's just their natural style. :S:D

Had gang-bangers watched 'Mythbusters', they would've learned that holding a pistol in that manner, is far less accurate than holding the pistol in the 'proper manner'. Basically, they are wasting lead.

Chuck

Had gang-bangers watched 'Mythbusters', they would've learned that holding a pistol in that manner, is far less accurate than holding the pistol in the 'proper manner'. Basically, they are wasting lead.

Chuck

Crap

at first I thought you posted Ghost Busters:)
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

So basically, the Mythbuster folks were holding that cannon sideways when they shot those 2 houses, and minivan?

Chuck

I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. eat sushi, get smoochieTTK#1

Chuck

Crap

at first I thought you posted Ghost Busters:)

Try to keep up... will ya'? :D:D:D

Chuck

Update:
Cuomo whacks gun law

"With virtually no public notice or legislative debate, a centerpiece of ex-Gov. George Pataki’s controversial multimillion-dollar anti-gun-crime program was shot dead Friday by Gov. Cuomo’s new state budget.

"The budget killed off the so-called CoBis, or Combined Ballistics Identification System...

"Many Democrats praised the program, and even then-First Lady Hillary Rodham Clinton, running for the US Senate in New York, praised Pataki for showing “real leadership in proposing a state-based ballistics program... something that needs to be done on a national level.’’

"Trouble is, the Pataki program NEVER worked. Despite the hundreds of thousands of spent shells submitted, not one criminal was ever captured using the extensive and costly-to-maintain database, state officials concede..."
Full story: NY Post

It's a done deal, and COBIS is gone.