JohnRich

OMG! Walmart is selling assault weapons!

News:
Assault rifles come roaring back in Asheville

"News flash: assault rifles are back. Big time.

How do I know this? Walmart is selling them.

You know if the nation’s largest retailer stocks three different models now, they must be a hot item.

It’s safe to say that assault rifles — semi-automatic military-style rifles with magazine clips that typically hold 30 rounds — have come full circle in America.

After several high-profile shooting incidents in the 1980s and ’90s, the guns became the notorious poster child for wanton violence and Second Amendment over-reaching. Congress enacted and former President Bill Clinton signed the Assault Weapons Ban back in 1994, which made it illegal to sell 19 types of semi-automatic rifles, as well as ammunition clips that held more than 10 rounds.

The legislation expired in 2004, and since then, assault rifles have come storming back.

Walmart started retailing them three-six months ago, according to store employees I talked to, and they’ve been selling like hotcakes..."
Full story: Citizen-Times

Nitpick: Ahem, they're not "magazine clips" or "ammunition clips", they're just "magazines".

And yes, they have been "normalized", because people have seen through the media hype, and now recognize that they're just ordinary semi-auto rifles like any other semi-auto. And they're a common sight on shooting ranges all over America. If you go to the national high-power rifle competition matches in Ohio, you'll see about 90% of the shooters on the firing lines using them.

To Mr. Henigan of the Brady Bunch, shame on you for trying to mislead people by saying that crimes with assault weapons declined during the ten-year assault weapon ban. While that may true, it's also true that ALL gun crimes declined during that period, and they have continued to decline every since. Even when the assault weapon ban ended, gun crimes continued to decline, and are now at a 40-year low. You sure like to quote those selective facts out of context to try and deceive people, but the trouble is, once people realize the truth, it destroys your credibility. And that is why you're organization is now irrelevant in the gun control debate, and why people are buying so-called assault weapons in droves. We're tired of being lied to.

Some of the Walmarts around here even stopped selling ammunition for a while. Hope this means they will start up again.

Honestly? Go to luckygunner, ammoman, ctd or ammotogo...it's cheaper for anything more than 100 rds or so.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Thank you for the additional suppliers. My last purchase online was Palmetto State Armory. They run good deals as well.

FYI, use caution with Walmart white box ammo. These are factory reject rounds sold in bulk to Walmart. I witnessed an incident where .380 rounds were mixed in with 9mm.

Also, for you guys rushing to Wally World for your first black rifle. Be advised if the rifle is chambered for 5.56mm rounds you can also use .223 ammo. However, do not fire 5.56 rounds in a rifle chambered for .223.

ETA: 5.56/.223 steel core ammo, NATO Green Tip, is often available very cheap. Most indoor ranges do not allow the use of these rounds.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

Thank you for the additional suppliers. My last purchase online was Palmetto State Armory. They run good deals as well.

FYI, use caution with Walmart white box ammo. These are factory reject rounds sold in bulk to Walmart. I witnessed an incident where .380 rounds were mixed in with 9mm.

Also, for you guys rushing to Wally World for your first black rifle. Be advised if the rifle is chambered for 5.56mm rounds you can also use .223 ammo. However, do not fire 5.56 rounds in a rifle chambered for .223.

ETA: 5.56/.223 steel core ammo, NATO Green Tip, is often available very cheap. Most indoor ranges do not allow the use of these rounds.

100% true & accurate post. A rarity on SC.

Some of the Walmarts around here even stopped selling ammunition for a while. Hope this means they will start up again.

Honestly? Go to luckygunner, ammoman, ctd or ammotogo...it's cheaper for anything more than 100 rds or so.

Fortunately we have abut 6 gun dealers within a few miles of here. The NRA Range is probably the cheapest place to buy.

Brownells has had some good sales lately

1000 rds of 5.56 for around $300
55 gr ball
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Why is this news?

Matt

Because some of them (even here in IA) stopped selling anything but shotguns and pellet rifles. Still the case here

And when these particular WM's pulled them, they seemed to do that with much media fan fair[:/]
Abraham Lincoln

I still fail see to the "news". Or is this making "news" for news' sake?

Matt

What ever trips your trigger.....
Abraham Lincoln

These are factory reject rounds sold in bulk to Walmart.

Rather severely doubt that.

I witnessed an incident where .380 rounds were mixed in with 9mm.

Seen bobbles like that happen with other ammo, too.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

My last purchase online was Palmetto State Armory.

I love those guys. My lower and upper for my AR is from them. They are quickly becoming known for their quality and when they run specials for their lowers at $59.95.... dang. Once I actually saw them have it for $49

These are factory reject rounds sold in bulk to Walmart.

Rather severely doubt that.

The warning was passed on from my concealed carry permit instructor. The first time I saw white box ammo on the range it revealed the mixed calibers.

Ya pays your money and you takes your chances.

On the range, mox nix. For personal protection I suggest a better grade of ammo. That is all I'm suggesting.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

I looked at the shelf here at the local Walmart , all the usual brands. So I say fuck it and called a popular brand, and point blank asked them if they sell rejects to Walmart.

Answer; "NO! We keep all rejects."

Walmart says they don't get rejects either, just bulk deals.

any one use Lucky Gunner for bulk buys?

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

I looked at the shelf here at the local Walmart , all the usual brands. So I say fuck it and called a popular brand, and point blank asked them if they sell rejects to Walmart.

Matt

I've not used LG, but have heard good things about them. I can personally attest to ammoman and ammotogo.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

My last purchase online was Palmetto State Armory.

I love those guys. My lower and upper for my AR is from them. They are quickly becoming known for their quality and when they run specials for their lowers at $59.95.... dang. Once I actually saw them have it for $49

I'm lucky, these guys are on my drive home. They do have some interesting items. The building was an HVAC distributorship. Keep waiting on them to install a range in the back. It would take up only 40% of the space they presently don't use.
Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.

Matt

I find it hard to believe that any manufacturer would allow any ammunition that doesn't meet standards to leave the plant. Liability and lawyers and all that.

BUT... I have seen numerous problems with the "100 pack" of Federal shotgun ammo that Walmart sells. The metal base of the cartridge is too big, and the action fails to close. Then, because there was some force used in the (normal) attempt the close the action (either manually for a pump or spring action for an auto) the too big cartrigde jams into the chamber. They can be a pain to get out.
I've only seen this with the WalMart stuff, not any others.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo