kallend

Super PACs

you get yourself in trouble with the Mods for being off topic

Not to comment on the conversation, but I will let you know that no one in SC (or Bonfire) has ever gotten in trouble with the mods for being off-topic.

I find that the best technique for keeping the thread on-topic (whatever topic I find to be the most entertaining or informative) is to contribute to it. If that doesn't work, well, there are plenty of other threads.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

So now that we see how it's working out in practice, what do people think about them?

I'm still in favor of it. I am not saying that the results are pretty. However I have yet to see an election that was. I don't think an ugly election process is a good reason to deny free speech anyway. At least everybody knows where Newt got his money from and can make an informed decision based on that. The large corporations pretty much got around any limitations on donations that were imposed anyway.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

you get yourself in trouble with the Mods for being off topic

Not to comment on the conversation, but I will let you know that no one in SC (or Bonfire) has ever gotten in trouble with the mods for being off-topic.

I find that the best technique for keeping the thread on-topic (whatever topic I find to be the most entertaining or informative) is to contribute to it. If that doesn't work, well, there are plenty of other threads.

Wendy P.

Thank you, Wendy....
I mentioned off topic and "so on". It seemed to me as if the other poster was getting very upset. I was trying to get back on a less emotional footing. Why the other poster kept on about another DZ member is a surprise to me. You are very correct. There are lots of other threads.
BTW........... normis posted that Dr. K. wears a dress while skydiving? Would you know anything about that?

Just wonder what people think about them now that we've had a chance to see them in action

I think that they are an example of what unregulated free speech is about. Different sides exchanging voices in the market of ideas and influence.

The Constitution means that sometimes the guilty go free. And it means that 1000 voices be enabled to speak more loudly than one with a megaphone. What a fantastic system. And thank GOODNESS we had a Supreme Court that did the right thing in finding a regulation of freedom of association and freedom of speech to be Unconstitutional.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Yup, because 11% of workers in America are in a big labor union.:P

Big labor, 1990-present:

Total contributions: 779 million
Amount to Dems: 690 million (92%)
Amount to Reps: 57 million (8%)

So...you were saying?
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Do you think that some of those people might have been democrats of their own accord, and not just "driven" into it by the evil labor unions?

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

No, thanks; you can either do your dick-swinging out in the open, where you have to abide by the same Forum rules that you tried and failed to use against me, or you can do it in the privacy of your own home. I'm just not interested.

That's your reply..? QED.
The thread is about Superpacs, US politics.

Wow, someone can read the thread title;)

No Mod has written to me about any rules infraction.
If you have issues with Mods, and how they run this site, that is your deal. PM a Mod. Getting up on your hind legs barking at me is unproductive.
As to Dr. Kallend paying taxes, OK. He lives in the US. Why not? As far as educating... Is he compensated for that service? What his family does, or does not do is about as off topic as one can get.
S.;)

Iron meter pegged. YOU brought personal issues into the thread.:|

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

No, thanks; you can either do your dick-swinging out in the open, where you have to abide by the same Forum rules that you tried and failed to use against me, or you can do it in the privacy of your own home. I'm just not interested.

If you have issues with Mods, and how they run this site, that is your deal. PM a Mod. Getting up on your hind legs barking at me is unproductive.
As to Dr. Kallend paying taxes, OK. He lives in the US. Why not? As far as educating... Is he compensated for that service? What his family does, or does not do is about as off topic as one can get.
S.;)

HAH.......Did not..!! :D:D:D:D Go back and read the entire conversation.

S.;)

Check on post #11. Someone must have stolen your identity.:o

S.;)

Check on post #11. Someone must have stolen your identity.:o

As a matter of interest, since you immigrated to the US in 1967 or about, have you become a US citizen, yet?
If so, would you compare or contrast ( your choice) the US system to the ponderous system in the UK. And, possibly, why you turned your back on the UK.

Simple question? Do you know anything about the US voting system? I know the boiler plate basics of the Brit system, but not enough to debate it. As I stated in a later post, that to debate someone unfamiliar with the US system gains me nothing. If you have issues with your personal info being put on this thread, then speak to the other poster. If you read the posts, I went to the point of asking the other poster if he was your representative.
Another poster also replied to the post. Are you posting to him, or you don't have an issue with him?
So.... Keep paddling Doc.......
" Another Kallend misconception."

Do you think that some of those people might have been democrats of their own accord, and not just "driven" into it by the evil labor unions?

Wendy P.

I'm sure they are...and I don't recall making the claim that anyone was 'driven into it', thank you.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Wendy P.

I'm sure they are...and I don't recall making the claim that anyone was 'driven into it', thank you.

Why bring up the topic at all, then? I mean, a lot of people work for (and generate profits for) corporations that donate to candidates and parties the employee doesn't support. I see little difference.

a lot of people work for (and generate profits for) corporations that donate to candidates and parties the employee doesn't support. I see little difference.

I'd say it would only be a problem if the company/organization forced me to contribute from my paycheck or via required dues or the like.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

check post #14.......;)

Dr. Kallend.......Lets knock off the horse play. You were working from a misconception, got hurt feelings, and you were wrong about who splattered your personal G2. Hell, man..!! Wake up.!! I tried to defend/protect your privacy.
What's the skydiving wearing a dress comment about you?
Seems to most, that you'd be pissed about that.

Wingsuits often look like prom dresses in photos. TONYSUITS pink demo suits in particular. He made them that color to discourage theft.

Wingsuits often look like prom dresses in photos. TONYSUITS pink demo suits in particular. He made them that color to discourage theft.

Wingsuits.... OK..... That makes sense then. Not a slam, but a good-natured zinger from an acquaintance.
Thank you. That's the first reasonable post of yours to me today.

Why bring up the topic at all, then? I mean, a lot of people work for (and generate profits for) corporations that donate to candidates and parties the employee doesn't support. I see little difference.

Why? Because only 31% of misc business donations are from PACs, in contrast to the 83% contribution by big labor PACs.

And, the business contributions are more evenly split - 43% Dem and 57% Rep vs. 92% Dem and 8% Rep for big labor.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Getting back......
If you look at the Russian gun, it looks very similar the the US's newest gun. It should since it's design, the US gun, is a updated rip off of the Russian design. The best gun around.
As far as military history.... Two words.
Spanish Armada. Any questions? Debate?
Let's forget whatever else you were after me about.:(

So now that we see how it's working out in practice, what do people think about them?

I'm still in favor of it. I am not saying that the results are pretty. However I have yet to see an election that was. I don't think an ugly election process is a good reason to deny free speech anyway. At least everybody knows where Newt got his money from and can make an informed decision based on that. The large corporations pretty much got around any limitations on donations that were imposed anyway.

The poor, and delayed disclosure of donors is the primary flaw in the superpacs - and one I wouldn't be surprised to see get modified in short order.

The poor, and delayed disclosure of donors is the primary flaw in the superpacs - and one I wouldn't be surprised to see get modified in short order.

In short order? Really? How do you figure?

thus far the courts haven't protected anonymous speech in the form of campaign donations. The Prop 8 contributors have suffered from that reality. If billionaires try to make large donations in secret using the superpac, that will lead to some corrective actions after the election.

Colbert/Stewart are doing their best to demonstrate the problems of the superpac in its currect form.