D22369

which state is led by the biggest idiots?

I can see where creating 40% of the jobs since the recession started would make you nauseous.

Listen, the dudes a clown, he's always been a clown. All he has done for the state of texas is build new highways, overpases, etc....

Wasn't your hero Obama talking about all the infrastructure that needed work? Seems you'd be applauding it.

Oh, wait...he's a Republican, that means it's bad.

That's your 40% of new jobs, but that means nothing when he inherited a 40% unemployment to begin with.

4.2% in December 2000 when he took over.

Now, lets take a look at school closings, teacher's benefits, outsourcing of jobs.

Looks like the outsourcing was more than overcome, since there was a net gain of 700 THOUSAND jobs in the last 10 years.

It's obvious your a Rick Perry fan, that's cool. But for fuks sake, take your blinders off.

Given the info in my prior post and now this one, maybe it's YOU that's walking around with the blinders.

If you live in Kosovo, you have nothing to say about what goes on here politically.

I've got just as much right as you do...but thanks for the support, skippy.

And your home DZ is SkyDive Aggie Land. You been gone that long?

This statement has WHAT to do with the conversation, Rich? Is your argument THAT weak you have to bring up a closed DZ?
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

>Volunteer firefighters across the state would have to pay to serve their communities
>under a measure proposed in Olympia.

>The Peninsula Daily News reports that (http://bit.ly/sgheDl) a bill requested by the
>Department of Health would make emergency-service workers, both volunteer and
>career personnel, pay a fee for their state certification.

Solution - stop requiring state certification for volunteers.

>Volunteer firefighters across the state would have to pay to serve their communities
>under a measure proposed in Olympia.

>The Peninsula Daily News reports that (http://bit.ly/sgheDl) a bill requested by the
>Department of Health would make emergency-service workers, both volunteer and
>career personnel, pay a fee for their state certification.

Solution - stop requiring state certification for volunteers.

That could be a conundrum, how will the State know they have qualified Volunteers?

I think they will still have enough volunteers in the end.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

Just because someone disagrees with you doesn't mean they're wearing blinders, or don't have a grip. You should try to make your points without this kind of name-calling, as it does not serve you well.

You're quite right John. You have every right to set me straight, and I accept it.

Just because someone works overseas doesn't mean that they forfeit their right to be concerned about their home state and home country

You're right again.

It seems to me, that YOU are working overseas. So, if you were to live by your own philosophy, then why are you here commenting about the presidential election? Shouldn't you be one of those who have nothing to say about our politics, according to you?

I'm out of country 6 months, sometime 8 months out of the year. When I made the original comment, I actually thought the gentleman posting was living in Kosovo. (My mistake) All I can do is apologize, having said that "I'm Sorry"

And what in the heck does how long you've been away from your home DZ have to do with anything?

Absolutely nothing. Again, you are well within you're right to call me on that. Thanks for setting me straight. Take Care J.R.

"Side Bar" I still disapprove of Rick Perry's very existance. (My opinion)
-Richard-
"You're Holding The Rope And I'm Taking The Fall"

>That could be a conundrum, how will the State know they have qualified Volunteers?

They won't. If locals prefer to have only qualified volunteers, they could require they take an (optional) certification test. They could even offer to pay for it. If not, that's fine too.

>That could be a conundrum, how will the State know they have qualified Volunteers?

They won't. If locals prefer to have only qualified volunteers, they could require they take an (optional) certification test. They could even offer to pay for it. If not, that's fine too.

I hate to tempt the usual suspects to start lawyer bashing, but requiring standardized, accredited certification is one method of attenuating potential liability, which would be advised-upon by lawyers, and might be insisted-upon by insurance companies providing liability coverage for fire companies (and/or local govts if that's who's in charge of them).

>which would be advised-upon by lawyers, and might be insisted-upon by insurance
>companies providing liability coverage for fire companies (and/or local govts if that's
>who's in charge of them).

Why do volunteer fire companies need liability insurance?

>which would be advised-upon by lawyers, and might be insisted-upon by insurance
>companies providing liability coverage for fire companies (and/or local govts if that's

If it's a private entity (say, a non-profit corp.), it would depend on whether they own much in the way of assets, e.g., fire trucks, building, etc. If they do, then they'd want to protect those assets from being lost in a judgment. If they only lease that stuff, and don't have much assets to protect, then yes, they could always adopt the "Uninsured Relative Workshop" philosophy.

Then there's the question of potential liability for the individual firefighters, company supervisors, etc. If those people's respective homeowner's or renter's insurance would cover them for liability arising out of their firefighter activities, fine. But if not - and if they have substantial assets (like a house) that in some states might not be protected even if they're married, then engaging in this kind of activity without some kind of liability insurance could be a bit risky.

Because we live in a sue-happy world?
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Because we live in a sue-happy world?

Interestingly enough, I had 2 different girlfriends named Sue.

Anyhow, legal or insurance considerations aside, it's certainly helpful to assure both minimum standards of competence (to avoid someone screwing up due to inadequate training), and some uniformity of practices and methods (so that everyone working an emergency is on the same page), each of which can be accomplished by a mandatory, uniform program of certification.

Plus, local fire companies help out other nearby towns with their emergencies all the time, so if a small town doesn't require its volunteer firefighters to be certified, it does affect a wider region of the public than just within the town's borders; so it's really not a strictly local issue. So, it's not unreasonable for a state government to require mandatory certification for everyone.

That being said, I don't think volunteers should foot the bill for their own certification. If a state wants apply budget considerations to this, it can use other methods; for example, limiting how many volunteers it will allow to be certified for free to, say, "X" number per year. Then people who want to get certified have 2 choices: either stay on a waiting list until your turn comes up to get certified for free, or pay a tuition (which goes to the taxpayers) to jump to the head of the line.

If you mean the governors, none are to be trusted. The process of government is broken, the problems are systematic, the results are exactly what we deserve - doesn't matter who holds the office. Some may actually be nice people, but to get there requires deceit & manipulation.

Things are not going to get any better (IMO) as long as we keep putting people into a corrupt system - regardless of their character.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

which state is led by the biggest idiots?

The biggest? I'd have to say it's Mississippi.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/07/07/us-usa-obesity-idUSTRE7663JD20110707

There's a body fat index. We need a brain fat index.
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

I swear, either the idiots running washington state are getting dumber or I am just noticing more and more how stupid some of their decisions are.

PORT ANGELES, Wash. —

Volunteer firefighters across the state would have to pay to serve their communities under a measure proposed in Olympia.

The Peninsula Daily News reports that (http://bit.ly/sgheDl) a bill requested by the Department of Health would make emergency-service workers, both volunteer and career personnel, pay a fee for their state certification.

Firefighter associations say that the proposal puts fire districts and departments in the position of having to cover the cost themselves or risk losing volunteers.

They say the bill would affect smaller departments and districts that often rely solely on volunteers.

Currently there is no fee for obtaining the certification. The state estimates the new fee could raise about $900,000 in the current biennium and $2 million for the 2013-2015 cycle.

Port Angeles Fire Chief Dan McKeen says the bill also requires fire agencies to cover the cost of certifying vehicles, which may end up costing as much as personnel certifications.

---

Information from: Peninsula Daily News, http://www.peninsuladailynews.com***

the $$ I heard them banty around on the radio was 200$ every couple years for the volunteers certification.
these people work for free and provide a valuable service in smaller communities - to charge them for this is beyond stupid.

so, my question since we have people from every state - what stupid shit has your state come up with lately that hasnt blanketed the national news?

* hell, if your not from the US and your state/providence has something stupid its cooking up by all means toss it in, insanity isnt just for americans anymore:S

Roy

Not idiots, just sneaky and underhanded. Check this out:

-State requires volunteer fire fighters to pay for certificates.
-Volunteers say "why should I pay to volunteer?" and quit.
-State says "we have a lapse in fire fighter coverage, we need to hire more full time fire fighters to unsure our communities are safe."
-State now has full time fire fighters paying there union dues.
-Union dues funneled back to state democrats.

Cycle complete.
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

Not idiots, just sneaky and underhanded. Check this out:

-State requires volunteer fire fighters to pay for certificates.
-Volunteers say "why should I pay to volunteer?" and quit.
-State says "we have a lapse in fire fighter coverage, we need to hire more full time fire fighters to unsure our communities are safe."
-State now has full time fire fighters paying union dues.
-Union dues funneled back to state democrats.

Cycle complete.

+1000

AND - they get to raise taxes too. "or else we'll be short on firefighters and policemen and schools - why do you people hate firefighters and children?"

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

>Anyhow, legal or insurance considerations aside, it's certainly helpful to assure both
>minimum standards of competence (to avoid someone screwing up due to inadequate
>training), and some uniformity of practices and methods (so that everyone working an
>emergency is on the same page), each of which can be accomplished by a mandatory,
>uniform program of certification.

Yes, that would be nice. But since the people who might be hurt via uncertified firefighters would be the people in that town, it would seem to make sense to let those people decide whether they want it or not.

And if they do want certification? Have a bake sale and pay for all those certifications. If not? Then they don't have to bake any brownies.

>since the people who might be hurt via uncertified firefighters would be the people in that town, it would seem to make sense to let those people decide whether they want it or not. (reference bake sale example).

amazing, isn't it? it's not 'nuanced', or 'complicated', or anything like that. It just makes sense.

the key point is right in there - it's their decision and they pay for it - you need both conditions in place to get the best decisions.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I think they will still have enough volunteers in the end.

Still something seems to be very wrong about making volunteers pay for the contribution they make to society.

Just all part of volunteering.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

Yes, that would be nice. But since the people who might be hurt via uncertified firefighters would be the people in that town, it would seem to make sense to let those people decide whether they want it or not.

Yes, provided the effect thereof remained strictly local; but it often does not, as I addressed in my previous post.

>Anyhow, legal or insurance considerations aside, it's certainly helpful to assure both
>minimum standards of competence (to avoid someone screwing up due to inadequate
>training), and some uniformity of practices and methods (so that everyone working an
>emergency is on the same page), each of which can be accomplished by a mandatory,
>uniform program of certification.

And if they do want certification? Have a bake sale and pay for all those certifications. If not? Then they don't have to bake any brownies.

In the area where I live, it's all volunteer fire fighters. With 'grants' and the help of the Texas Forest Service and U.S Forest Service, our fire fighters recieve their education and certification. We also took posession of a new 'foamer' truck, this past summer. Just in time for the numerous wildfires we experienced here in Texas. After the smoke and ashes cleared, the donations poured-in! No non-certified fire fighters were allowed near the front lines but there was plenty for the rest of us to do 'behind the scenes'. We can't say enough good about the men and women volunteers from all over this nation who worked hard to save our homes and property.

Chuck