brenthutch

Why there can be no accord

>Doesn't that call into question the causal relationship between CO2 and Temp?

No, because it's not a year to year direct correlation; it's only long term. Year to year things like el nino, la nina (the ENSO in other words) has a bigger effect.

Take a look at graphs of temperature from 1850 to today. 1880 was a very warm year; it wasn't that warm again for almost 60 years. 1945 was another very warm year; it wasn't that warm again for 15 years. 1998 was a very warm year; it wasn't that warm again for 7 years.

But on average temperatures have gone up.

53 degrees in N. Illinois today. Won't be another day this warm until tomorrow. (Normal high for this date is 31 degrees).

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

>Yes it been well documented in the ice core. Temps go up and then CO2 follows.

Yep. It hasn't been until humanity came around that there was any mechanism to add so much carbon to the atmosphere, so we've never seen CO2 leading temperatures until modern times. (Even volcanoes don't release the amounts of CO2 we release decade after decade.)

>Yes it been well documented in the ice core. Temps go up and then CO2 follows.

Yep. It hasn't been until humanity came around that there was any mechanism to add so much carbon to the atmosphere, so we've never seen CO2 leading temperatures until modern times. (Even volcanoes don't release the amounts of CO2 we release decade after decade.)

Now they just need to prove that CO2 is causing the temperature increase.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

>Yes temps have gone up, and AFTER that CO2 went up.

Historically yes. However, dinosaurs did not have SUV's - we do. So our driving of climate change with CO2 emissions is a new phenomenon on this planet.

Unproven.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Yes temps have gone up, and AFTER that CO2 went up. Not the other way around. Al Gore eludes to it in his Oscar winning film.

So if I burn a gigaton of coal, how long would I have to wait for the global temperature to go up so the fire could produce CO2?

Lame, and faulty logic, besides.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

>How much will that reduce global temps?

It won't. Even if we stopped emitting CO2 tomorrow, the CO2 already in the atmosphere will continue warming the planet for at least 50 years. (It will take that long for natural processes to remove it from the air, and for the planet to reradiate the extra energy.) It will just slow down the increase (as I explained in a previous post.)

How much will it slow it down? Since global temps have been flat for the last 10 years it looks as if the switch to CF light bulbs have already done the trick.

due to the amount of noise in the data, 10 years is far to short to evaluate a temperature trend. The difference in trend for the last 10 years and the last 30 years is not statistically significant.

Yes temps have gone up, and AFTER that CO2 went up. Not the other way around. Al Gore eludes to it in his Oscar winning film.

So if I burn a gigaton of coal, how long would I have to wait for the global temperature to go up so the fire could produce CO2?

Now we have established that CO2 can be released by processes other than a temperature rise. For CO2 to not affect the earths temperature it would either have to not absorb IR, or the earth would have to not radiate heat into space at the wavelength CO2 absorbs at. Which are you claiming is the case? Note that this was worked out by Svante Arrhenius in 1896. If he is wrong, no one has noticed for while.

Now we have established that CO2 can be released by processes other than a temperature rise.

No, really?

For CO2 to not affect the earths temperature it would either have to not absorb IR, or the earth would have to not radiate heat into space at the wavelength CO2 absorbs at. Which are you claiming is the case?

Or other processes overrule the effect, or the absorption bands are already blanketed (believe there was a paper about that), or...

Note that this was worked out by Svante Arrhenius in 1896. If he is wrong, no one has noticed for while.

Appeal to authority fail. Feel free to get with Dr. Trenberth about that 'missing heat' that is such a travesty, in his words.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

due to the amount of noise in the data, 10 years is far to short to evaluate a temperature trend. The difference in trend for the last 10 years and the last 30 years is not statistically significant.

Amazing how 10 years of flat temps isn't statistically significant, but 10 years of ice data is incontrovertible proof of warming.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

>Or other processes overrule the effect

That is exactly right! There might be a process involved that is somehow causing increased radiation of IR at the same rate that the increase in CO2 is preventing it. Find such a process and you'd be almost guaranteed a Nobel prize.

Odd though that you denigrate the scientists looking for such a mechanism, given your belief that it might exist.

>or the absorption bands are already blanketed (believe there was a paper about that),

Yes, there was. That's why the forcing is only 2 watts/sq meter instead of the 120 watts/sq m it would be if the CO2 absorption bands weren't almost saturated already.

For CO2 to not affect the earths temperature it would either have to not absorb IR, or the earth would have to not radiate heat into space at the wavelength CO2 absorbs at. Which are you claiming is the case?

Or other processes overrule the effect, or the absorption bands are already blanketed (believe there was a paper about that), or...

Other processes such as?

There was a paper in 1900 by Angstrom that indicated the bands were saturated and overlapped with water absorption bands. This experiment was later shown to be faulty.

Note that this was worked out by Svante Arrhenius in 1896. If he is wrong, no one has noticed for while.

Appeal to authority fail. Feel free to get with Dr. Trenberth about that 'missing heat' that is such a travesty, in his words.

It isn't an appeal to authority, it's a citation and observation that the theory has a long track record.

Trenberth's comment was not about lack of warming, but about a lack of instrument networks to observe the warming

>Or other processes overrule the effect

That is exactly right! There might be a process involved that is somehow causing increased radiation of IR at the same rate that the increase in CO2 is preventing it. Find such a process and you'd be almost guaranteed a Nobel prize.

Or it could just be the normal recovery from a cooling event....nah, that couldn't be it... no money or Nobels in *that*!!

Odd though that you denigrate the scientists looking for such a mechanism, given your belief that it might exist.

Maybe because I don't agree with your mechanism.

>or the absorption bands are already blanketed (believe there was a paper about that),

Yes, there was. That's why the forcing is only 2 watts/sq meter instead of the 120 watts/sq m it would be if the CO2 absorption bands weren't almost saturated already.

Which also means that increased CO2 can't be responsible for the increased warming. QED.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Trenberth's comment was not about lack of warming, but about a lack of instrument networks to observe the warming

"The fact is that we can't account for the lack of warming at the moment and it is a travesty that we can't."

"can't account" != "can't detect"
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Amazing how 10 years of flat temps isn't statistically significant, but 10 years of ice data is incontrovertible proof of warming.

We currently have about 30 years of sea ice extent data from satellites. As a general point, if the noise in the sea ice extent data were low enough, you could establish a statistically significant trend over 10 years.

>Or it could just be the normal recovery from a cooling event....nah, that couldn't be
>it... no money or Nobels in *that*!!

?? You were the one who said you understood that we were retaining more heat and that there might be a mechanism that overrules that effect. Are you retracting that?

>Maybe because I don't agree with your mechanism.

That's fine; propose your own.

>Which also means that increased CO2 can't be responsible for the increased warming.

No, that means that CO2 can only be responsible for a few degrees of warming, since the increase is only a few watts (instead of 120.)

We currently have about 30 years of sea ice extent data from satellites. As a general point, if the noise in the sea ice extent data were low enough, you could establish a statistically significant trend over 10 years.

So it's too noisy, too...yet still used as proof of warming. Just like that 10 years of temp data that's too noisy to use to show the temps flattening but sufficiently accurate to be used as proof of warming.

Nice racket.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

>Or it could just be the normal recovery from a cooling event....nah, that couldn't be
>it... no money or Nobels in *that*!!

?? You were the one who said you understood that we were retaining more heat and that there might be a mechanism that overrules that effect. Are you retracting that?

Nope. What I *said* and you're (as usual) trying to spin is that *IF* CO2 is a main driver, then evidently other processes are overriding it.

>Maybe because I don't agree with your mechanism.

That's fine; propose your own.

Already did - natural recovery from the LIA.

>Which also means that increased CO2 can't be responsible for the increased warming.

No, that means that CO2 can only be responsible for a few degrees of warming, since the increase is only a few watts (instead of 120.)

Which also disproves CO2 being a prime driver that has to be severely curtailed to prevent climate catastrophy.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

So it's too noisy, too...yet still used as proof of warming. Just like that 10 years of temp data that's too noisy to use to show the temps flattening but sufficiently accurate to be used as proof of warming.

Nice racket.

No. Climate scientists have done the math, and they have established how many years are necessary to define a trend (30) and they use this value for trend calculations.

Again, three different organizations have taken the climate data, adjusted it to remove instrumental bias, and generated a trend (the raw data used by each groups differs, but there is some overlap). You can claim "institutional bias" but the code used by at least two of these groups is available, and the process is sufficiently simple that a couple of bloggers have been able to replicate the results using their own code. A fourth group composed of climate skeptics has also been able to replicate the results, and that paper is in peer review.

In addition to the analysis of temperature data described above, there are two sets of satellite data that also cover the time period in question.

The final result is that all five analyses give a 30 year temperature trend that is consistent within the limits of experimental error.

In a recent paper, Foster & Rhamsdorf did a multivariate regression on the 30 year data to remove the contributions from the solar cycle, volcanic eruptions, and the el nino/ la nina cycle. The result reveals a steady upward trend (figures 4 & 5 in the link). Interestingly, when you remove the contributions from internal variability, the warming trend for the past 10 years is statistically significant (barely).

http://iopscience.iop.org/1748-9326/6/4/044022

No, because it's not a year to year direct correlation; it's only long term. Year to year things like el nino, la nina (the ENSO in other words) has a bigger effect.

Take a look at graphs of temperature from 1850 to today. 1880 was a very warm year; it wasn't that warm again for almost 60 years. 1945 was another very warm year; it wasn't that warm again for 15 years. 1998 was a very warm year; it wasn't that warm again for 7 years.

53 degrees in N. Illinois today. Won't be another day this warm until tomorrow. (Normal high for this date is 31 degrees).

Well there it is folks. Game over for us skeptics. The professor using the redoubtable science of a local weather forecast; has proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that Man is causing the planet to roast. Using his unassailable logic it would seem certain that N. Illinois will be broiling in 115 degree temps this summer. Well I have to apologize to every one on this forum. I just wished I had listened before it was too late. If only I had paid $50 for a gallon of gas we would still be alive this coming summer. Again my deepest apologies for destroying the planet.

Well there it is folks. Game over for us skeptics. The professor using the redoubtable science of a local weather forecast; has proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that Man is causing the planet to roast. Using his unassailable logic it would seem certain that N. Illinois will be broiling in 115 degree temps this summer. Well I have to apologize to every one on this forum. I just wished I had listened before it was too late. If only I had paid $50 for a gallon of gas we would still be alive this coming summer. Again my deepest apologies for destroying the planet.

Sorry, I forgot the [sarcasm] tag for those too obtuse to figure it out for themselves.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Nice racket.

No. Climate scientists have done the math, and they have established how many years are necessary to define a trend (30) and they use this value for trend calculations.

Again, three different organizations have taken the climate data, adjusted it to remove instrumental bias, and generated a trend (the raw data used by each groups differs, but there is some overlap). You can claim "institutional bias" but the code used by at least two of these groups is available, and the process is sufficiently simple that a couple of bloggers have been able to replicate the results using their own code. A fourth group composed of climate skeptics has also been able to replicate the results, and that paper is in peer review.

When the raw data has been 'value-added' so often, I'm unsurprised.

Garbage in, garbage out

In addition to the analysis of temperature data described above, there are two sets of satellite data that also cover the time period in question.

The final result is that all five analyses give a 30 year temperature trend that is consistent within the limits of experimental error.

Why is it that warmists keep going back to the fact that there's been warming, which isn't in dispute, rather than the *cause* of the warming which is the point of the discussion?

In a recent paper, Foster & Rhamsdorf did a multivariate regression on the 30 year data to remove the contributions from the solar cycle, volcanic eruptions, and the el nino/ la nina cycle. The result reveals a steady upward trend (figures 4 & 5 in the link). Interestingly, when you remove the contributions from internal variability, the warming trend for the past 10 years is statistically significant (barely).

http://iopscience.iop.org/1748-9326/6/4/044022

And *STILL* doesn't prove it was CO2 that caused it.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Sorry, I forgot the [sarcasm] tag for those too obtuse to figure it out for themselves.

You cant just softball it in there like that,,,, You know I am going to dog it!