brenthutch

Why there can be no accord

Well, I can see how you can split science into left wing and right wing fields, but it's kinda hard if you're in the political centre. You would need to believe that in birds the right wing was created, and the left wing evolved, I think.

More left-wing distortions. The truth is that 38% of those identifying themselves as Democrats believe humans were created in their present form 10,000 years ago by God. Another 39% believe that humans evolution was guided by God.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/108226/republicans-democrats-differ-creationism.aspx

Well, I can see how you can split science into left wing and right wing fields, but it's kinda hard if you're in the political centre. You would need to believe that in birds the right wing was created, and the left wing evolved, I think.

More left-wing distortions. The truth is that 38% of those identifying themselves as Democrats believe humans were created in their present form 10,000 years ago by God. Another 39% believe that humans evolution was guided by God.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/108226/republicans-democrats-differ-creationism.aspx

Interesting. A reasonable further analysis of that statistic would be to break-down that 38% by age and educational level. Off the top of my head, I'd guess - and who knows? - maybe I'm wrong - that most of those 38% are either over age 55 or have less education than a bachelor's degree. (Maybe I'll take the time to research it later; but right now I'm just cruisin' thru...)

>The truth is that 38% of those identifying themselves as Democrats believe humans
>were created in their present form 10,000 years ago by God. Another 39% believe
>that humans evolution was guided by God.

Gallup poll from 2008:

Democrats:

Creationist 38%
Intelligent design 39%
Scientific evolution 17%

Republicans:

Creationist 60%
Intelligent design 32%
Scientific evolution 4%

===============

Front page of Conservapedia, "the trustworthy encyclopedia" -

=================
Question Evolution! Campaign

Question evolution! campaign - worldwide anti-evolution campaign

The Question evolution! campaign is a worldwide anti-evolution campaign and is primarily being conducted in the United States, the United Kingdom, Canada, Europe, Australia, New Zealand, Singapore and South Africa.[1] The focus of the campaign is on 15 Questions that evolutionists cannot satisfactorily answer. The 15 questions can be found HERE.
==================

Which sounds impressive until one peels back a layer or two and finds out that this same guy (James Hanson) was warning about global COOLING and the next ICE AGE back in the 70s.

Do you have an original source for this? Or are you just relying on what you've heard? Hansen has a different take on the subject:

http://www.columbia.edu/~jeh1/distro_Grandfather_70924.pdf

Sources and quotes are cited at the end of my post.
Wow that is a shocker that Hansen has a different take?!?!? That is like taking Jimmy Carters word for it that he was the best President the USA has ever had. Try to cite some third party data it might be more even handed. BTW the critics I quoted are on Hansen's side.

OK, I found a little more breakdown. Here's a recent poll surveying people's beliefs in creationism / evolution around the world, by country:

http://ncse.com/news/2011/04/polling-creationism-evolution-around-world-006634

From the article:

Consistently with previous polls, in the United States, acceptance of evolution was higher among respondents who were younger, with a higher level of household income, and with a higher level of education. Gender was not particularly important, however: the difference between male and female respondents in the United States was no more than 2%.

>it's disingenuous to constantly portray Republicans as some kind of nuts because a
>slightly higher % . .

More than 4 times as many democrats as republicans understand the science-based theory of evolution. I guess if you wan to call that a "slightly higher percentage" that's fine.

>or to insinuate there's some clearly defined line.

As the survey indicates, there's not; there's a big middle area that's not either extreme (i.e. the intelligent-design flavor of creationism.)

>Can't argue much with the fact that 77%is of Democrats believe in some form of
>Creationism.

And you can't even comment on the fact that the front page of Conservapedia promotes creationism. I guess intelligent GOP members just have to hope that no one notices that.

>Creationism.

And you can't even comment on the fact that the front page of Conservapedia promotes creationism. I guess intelligent GOP members just have to hope that no one notices that.

Why should I comment on something I disagree with?

>Creationism.

Cite your sources sir. Not that I disagree with you out of hand, however far too often the narrative overwhelms the facts. For example it is a well established narrative that democrats are altruistic, enlightened, erudite intellectuals, while those who are right of center are knuckle dragging xenophobic, racists, homophobes that are the minions of big business. But as we all know the truth is a bit more nuanced.

>Creationism.

Since you keep bringing up conservapedia as supposed evidence of what conservatives think, can we use dkos or dem underground in the same sense for liberals?
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

>Creationism.

What others believe or don't is a luxury that I can not afford. When the biggest problem in the world is keeping two guys from marrying or convincing the world that oral sex should be taught to kindergarteners; then we will be truly blessed. Unfortunately we have much bigger problems to deal with. We should stop majoring in the minors and deal with the real issues.

>Creationism.

Since you keep bringing up conservapedia as supposed evidence of what conservatives think, can we use dkos or dem underground in the same sense for liberals?

How 'bout alternet ?

>Creationism.

Cite your sources sir. Not that I disagree with you out of hand, however far too often the narrative overwhelms the facts. For example it is a well established narrative that democrats are altruistic, enlightened, erudite intellectuals, while those who are right of center are knuckle dragging xenophobic, racists, homophobes that are the minions of big business. But as we all know the truth is a bit more nuanced.

In my 50+ years, I've met my share of altruistic, enlightened, erudite intellectuals. Some of them have been conservatives. I've also met my share of knuckle dragging, xenophobic, racist homophobes. None of them have been liberals. There's your nuance.

Conservatives and science, lol.

Politics and scientist...LOL, you look just as bad..
this is not a political problem...if fact we cannot control what other nations do , but we can control ours.

You liberals run the jobs out to save carbon but you fail to realize that someone is going to manufacture those products and we would be better off controlling it here rather than China...:S

So you have never met a Liberal who supports Affirmative Action?? Really??? Isn't AA the definition of racism?

No. You clearly don't understand the difference between racism and dumb policy.

And you clearly don't want to call AA what it really is.

How about the OWS and their anti-semitism? Or Eric Holder or Reverend Wright or Louis Farrankan, or the New Black Panther Party?

>Creationism.

In my 50+ years, I've met my share of altruistic, enlightened, erudite intellectuals. Some of them have been conservatives. I've also met my share of knuckle dragging, xenophobic, racist homophobes. None of them have been liberals. There's your nuance.

Here's your education:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bhhcOywOVk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aldquMz1DCw&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18p23-mE4e0&feature=related

More left-wing distortions.

Actually, it was more of a humorous attempt to point out that making a distinction between left-wing science and right-wing science is moronic. Unfortunately humour is kinda hard to pull of in a foreign language. Well, and your apparent lack of humour probably doesn't help either.

More left-wing distortions.

Actually, it was more of a humorous attempt to point out that making a distinction between left-wing science and right-wing science is moronic. Unfortunately humour is kinda hard to pull of in a foreign language. Well, and your apparent lack of humour probably doesn't help either.

Right, blame the reader when the issue is your admitted inability to communicate properly is the real issue. More left-wing self victimization. Who would have expected anything less.