jakee

DADT repeal - Homecoming kiss

It has become an accepted choice and not worth discussing any longer.

Yeah, it's rough seeing a Theocracy fail.

Wait, no, it's not a bad thing.

Ya, well...you just wait till butt-fucking goes public!

My fist day on a California beach I witnessed a nice hairy ass in a thong basking in the morning sun, and another dude sucking off some bum in the bathroom...classy shit.

*there I go cussing again..wtf?*

Wow you visit some classy places:P

P.S : Merry Christmas

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Yeah, it's rough seeing a Theocracy fail.

Wait, no, it's not a bad thing.

Ya, well...you just wait till butt-fucking goes public!

My fist day on a California beach I witnessed a nice hairy ass in a thong basking in the morning sun, and another dude sucking off some bum in the bathroom...classy shit.

*there I go cussing again..wtf?*

Hell, that sort of thing goes on and has gone on for decades on a daily basis in Reverchon Park located in, GASP, downtown Dallas, TX in the shadows of the 1st Baptist Church.
The older I get the less I care who I piss off.

Homosexuality was illegal in Texas until 2003, In a lot of European countries it was decriminalized around 1800. I think you need a decade (or two to be safe) of gay prides to settle things. When you get it you're usually fast with social progress, but at the moment you're still rather homophobic for a Western people. Come back when official relationships between two people of the same sex are allowed in most US states.

Oh and merry Christmass

Homosexuality was illegal in Texas until 2003, In a lot of European countries it was decriminalized around 1800. I think you need a decade (or two to be safe) of gay prides to settle things. When you get it you're usually fast with social progress, but at the moment you're still rather homophobic for a Western people. Come back when official relationships between two people of the same sex are allowed in most US states.

Oh and merry Christmass

Amen:P

(.)Y(.)

I'd lay odds it would NOT have happened for 2 burly guys

I also note that it was published in a British tabloid, did any US press pick it up ?

I actually first saw the story on CNN.com, with video -- link was right next to the video of the cute polar bear cub linked in a Bonfire thread.
See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

I'm not saying DADT was a good thing, because it did deny a select few of the military (or perhaps more than a select few) some of the perks of life. However, when the majority of combat arms MOS's stated it would be a detriment to unit cohesion if overturned, i found it surprising when it passed and was put into effect. That being said i think it's a larger play on society, if it works in the military then the federal govt will have no choice to back it in mainstream society, and legalize gay marriages throughout the nation. Again, i'm not saying this is good or bad, because i personally dont care, just saying i think the military is being used as an "experiment." The military has, IMO, done this before with the Montford Point Marines in 1941 began the desegregation of the Marines, and then the US society caught on to the change in the following decades.

However, when the majority of combat arms MOS's stated it would be a detriment to unit cohesion if overturned,

Did they? I thought that was only the case in John McCain's imagination.

Again, i'm not saying this is good or bad, because i personally dont care, just saying i think the military is being used as an "experiment." The military has, IMO, done this before with the Montford Point Marines in 1941 began the desegregation of the Marines, and then the US society caught on to the change in the following decades.

An experiment? How so?

In the case of black civil rights numerous Jim Crow laws existed, and would continue to exist for decades, when that desegregation started. No such laws apply to gay people in general society apart from bans on gay marriage, and servicemembers now have no more or less freedom to enter a same sex marriage than civilians.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Here's some links on Marine's oppisition to DADT in the Marines:

http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news/2010/12/ap-dont-ask-dont-tell-121410/

http://www.advocate.com/News/Daily_News/2010/11/27/Marines_Most_Resistant_to_DADT_Repeal/

And i wish i didn't throw away the Marine times article that showed the poll results, but yes, COMBAT MOS's did not want a repeal of DADT. Non-Combat MOS's had little issue with it....which was my point stated in my first point.

An experiment? How so?

In the case of black civil rights numerous Jim Crow laws existed, and would continue to exist for decades, when that desegregation started. No such laws apply to gay people in general society apart from bans on gay marriage

You answered your own question. Just as the Jim Crow laws existed, there are laws banning homosexuals from the rights of straight people. If homosexuals are accepted in the military, then the federal govt. will have no choice but to begin to accept them in mainstream society.

I didn't mention DADT. I just want to know what all the fuss is about over two people kissing. There are only two reasons anyone would make such a fuss:
1) They are uncomfortable with same sex relationships.
2) They feel same sex relationships are somehow special.
HAMMER:
Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a
kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the
object we are trying to hit.

Here's some links on Marine's oppisition to DADT in the Marines:

http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/...sk-dont-tell-121410/

http://www.advocate.com/...tant_to_DADT_Repeal/

And i wish i didn't throw away the Marine times article that showed the poll results, but yes, COMBAT MOS's did not want a repeal of DADT.

I know a lot of people like to think so, but the Marines are not the only combat troops the US employs. Try again.

You answered your own question. Just as the Jim Crow laws existed, there are laws banning homosexuals from the rights of straight people. If homosexuals are accepted in the military, then the federal govt. will have no choice but to begin to accept them in mainstream society.

And you've failed to understand your own comparison.

In the case of black civil rights military desegregation went beyond that which was allowed by law in large parts of US society. In the case of DADT repeal it does not, it is just catching up.

I didn't mention DADT. I just want to know what all the fuss is about over two people kissing. There are only two reasons anyone would make such a fuss:

3) They weren't asleep during the 14 years of DADT, and/or the entirety of US miltary history prior to DADT.

4) They're aware of the considerable amount of fuss raised on both sides during the events that led up to these particular people sharing this particular kiss and think it noce to see that all that fuss wasn't in vain (for the right side, at least).

5) Freedom makes them happy, and photogenic depictions of new freedoms being enjoyed are therefore a good thing.

3) They weren't asleep during the 14 years of DADT, and/or the entirety of US miltary history prior to DADT.

4) They're aware of the considerable amount of fuss raised on both sides during the events that led up to these particular people sharing this particular kiss and think it noce to see that all that fuss wasn't in vain (for the right side, at least).

5) Freedom makes them happy, and photogenic depictions of new freedoms being enjoyed are therefore a good thing.

Ok, so you are going with #2, that their relationship is somehow special.
Hmmm...that goes against what you've claimed in the past. You've always said that same sex relationships are no different than hetero relationships.
Make up your mind. :)
HAMMER:

Nope. The public expression of it, in political/historical context, is special.

And honestly, you'd have to be deliberately obtuse to argue otherwise. Your move;)

Hmmm...that goes against what you've claimed in the past. You've always said that same sex relationships are no different than hetero relationships.

Socially, they should be treated the same. And when recognition of that is enshrined in law... it's a special moment.

You can't ignore DADT for this.

6 months ago, both of them could/would have lost their careers if that picture had been published.

And it's the news media. They make huge fusses about stuff that is mainly symbolic on a regualr basis.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Nope. The public expression of it, in political/historical context, is special.

And honestly, you'd have to be deliberately obtuse to argue otherwise. Your move;)

Socially, they should be treated the same. And when recognition of that is enshrined in law... it's a special moment.

Of course they should be treated the same. But as long as they focus on their differences, they never will be.
HAMMER:

>But as long as they focus on their differences, they never will be.

"David Bauer, the commanding officer of the USS Oak Hill, said that Gaeta and Snell's kiss would largely be a non-event . . ."

" . . .there was little to differentiate it from countless others when a Navy ship pulls into its home port following a deployment. Neither the US Navy nor the couple tried to draw attention to what was happening . . ."

So who's "they?"

>But as long as they focus on their differences, they never will be.

"David Bauer, the commanding officer of the USS Oak Hill, said that Gaeta and Snell's kiss would largely be a non-event . . ."

" . . .there was little to differentiate it from countless others when a Navy ship pulls into its home port following a deployment. Neither the US Navy nor the couple tried to draw attention to what was happening . . ."

So who's "they?"

The gay community.
Gay Pride Events 2011
HAMMER:

Yes there are more combat troops than the Marines, but i spoke of surveys i knew personally of, because i am a Marine, and i have read most of the Marine publications of this. And those publications said that the majority of the combat arms MOSs in the Marines were strictly against the repeal of DADT, the Commandant of the Marines was against it, yet it passed, and we are going with it.

And just because there were more laws with segregation doesn't mean that this isn't a test (all be it on a smaller scale) with the repeal and open acceptance of homosexuals. My comparison was with the last major (unless you can point out another that i've missed) change in military policy which lead to a change in federal policy. I'd be willing to bet 1 years pay on the fact that if this goes over well in the military it will go over in the federal statutes in the near future.

Of course they should be treated the same. But as long as they focus on their differences, they never will be.

And if they don't focus on the different treatment they get, they will never be treated equally. It was society that decided gays were special (inferior) and now gays have to make a fuss to become equal to the rest. That's what all minority groups did to achieve equality. Once equality is achieved, us homers usually don't feel the need to lay the focus on our sexual orientation any more.

You're right - but it does seem to be the way of things ... the pendulums over-swings before it settles down to a new Status Quo .... Like Positive Discrimination in other fields (i.e women in politics ..etc..). I dislike PD in general - but understand 'why' it exists.

(.)Y(.)

There's a difference between tolerance and acceptance. Tolerance (of gays, of muslims, of right wing christians) is important for living together in a society. Acceptance isn't.

+1 and TK get's his ass handed to him and doesn't think clear enough to just stop typing.

Step away TK you lose. (Bad)

We have gotten so PC that it isn't acepted to tolorate anything you have to agree and support.
Kevin Keenan is my hero, a double FUP, he does so much with so little

>The gay community.

You posted a link to a list of public gay community events.

Here's a link to a skydiver public event:

http://skyleague.com/pages/media/article.php?RECORD_KEY%28articlesContentSource%29=id&id%28articlesContentSource%29=30

So what's your point?

The hypocricy of proclaiming they are no different than anyone else while, at the same time, celebrating what they feel makes them different.
HAMMER:

The hypocrisy of proclaiming they are no different than anyone else while, at the same time, celebrating what they feel makes them different.

The kiss isn't special, the fact that they can kiss in public is special. They're no different than others, and now for the first time they can kiss openly just like straight couples. They're celebrating equality, not difference.