lawrocket

How does bullshit go viral?

Get a look at this article:
http://news.yahoo.com/mysterious-planet-size-object-spotted-near-mercury-165402135.html

Here’s the quote: “It definitely looks like a ship to me, and very obviously, it's cloaked,"

This is a key problem I have with people. The cost and benefit of being a person is that we have an insatiable curiosity about things, but we always want answers. Here is a step by step: (1) a guy sees an image; (2) he doesn’t know what it is; (3) it looks how he pictures a cloaked, mercury sized spaceship; (4) he concludes that it must be a cloaked spaceship.

Does anybody see the disconnect? It looks like a ship to this guy. Obviously it’s cloaked. I think that when you don’t know what the hell you are seeing, it makes little sense to conclude anything. As Neil DeGrasse Tyson said, cosmologists look in the sky all the time but they report UFOs far less frequently than do he general public. The reason? “We know what the hell we’re looking at!”

We see the issue of ignorance leading to jumping to conclusions. Many moons ago, a jet aircraft left a visible contrail at sunset off of the California coast. Common sense would dictate that an extraatmospheric missile launch would put the contrail into more light instead of getting darker. But nope. It looks like a missile. Therefore, it must be a Chinese missile fired from a submarine off of our coast. Not only is the missile a stretch that would violate the laws of physics by staying in the shade even though it’s climbing above the terminator, but the conclusion that it was a CHINESE missile is complete conjecture.

How did such bullshit make news? Why does it go viral when somebody suggests proof of an alien ship the size of a planet that is cloaked?

My wife is hotter than your wife.

"Re: [lawrocket] How does bullshit go viral?"

Individuals can be quite knowledgeable, but people as a whole are fucking idiots.

I don't actually think you need a bigger explanation.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Individuals can be quite knowledgeable, but people as a whole are fucking idiots.

This reminds me of one of my favorite quotes; from of all places a Peanuts cartoon.

I believe it was Linus sitting down and Lucy asked him "Linus, why do you hate mankind?" His answer; "I love mankind! It's people I can't stand."

I'm paraphrasing, not from Peanuts, but a line from some movie which I can't remember the name of. I want to say Tommy Lee Jones says the line, but honestly I don't remember.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Answer-

...has caught the attention of alien-hunters, who say it has unveiled a giant, "cloaked" spaceship...

Any more questions?

What's really amazing is how the article is so far above Yahoo's usual standards. It even has an in depth explanation of what the "object" really is.
It's all been said before, no sense repeating it here.

How did such bullshit make news?

Indeed:

Obama was born in Kenya
Obama was born in Indonesia
Obama is a Muslim
Obama sworn into office on the Koran
Obama observes Ramadan
Obama's trip to India cost $200Million/day
Obama canceled the National Day of Prayer
Obama going to create "Death Panels"

All went viral.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

>I'm paraphrasing, not from Peanuts, but a line from some movie which I can't remember the name of. I want to say Tommy Lee Jones says the line, but honestly I don't remember.

Was it Men In Black?

From IMDB

Edwards: Why the big secret? People are smart. They can handle it.

Kay: A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow.

Kinda like people believe a vet suffered ICU quality head trauma at OWS.
Kinda like people believe a kid was beaten for flicking an nypd supervisor's hat.
Kinda like people believe cops at UC Davis just walked up and pepper sprayed students for blocking a sidewalk.
Kinda like people believe they can be sovereign citizens and not contract with government.
Kinda like people believe anything a chain email tells them.
Don't forget, undercover officers have to tell you if you ask if they're a cop. :S

Like K said, people are dumb stupid and panicky. That's why government "sells" instead of "works".

witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

Obama is the first president to take God out of his thanksgiving address!

sounds like another viral post to me - do we have verified transcripts of every president's Thanksgiving addresses?

and from Yahoo News:

Three of the Republican presidential candidates – Mitt Romney, Newt Gingrich and Rick Santorum – issued Thanksgiving statements that omitted any references to God. Michele Bachmann, Herman Cain and Rick Perry mentioned God in their statements.

so he's not actually alone - and therefore the comment on whether he did or did not is pretty much not worthy of mentioning. But posting it as a fact, just by the act of doing so, is un-newsworthy as a statement and creates a sense that something therefore must be 'wrong'