dreamdancer

The 1% and their toys...

I know folks, personally, doing just that. Or, they're retired and working to help with the bills and help their Social Security. I know some retired school teachers, not living above their means who are checkers in a grocery store. I respect those folks because they don't just sit-by wringing their hands worrying about where their next meal is coming from but get-out and help themselves and don't look for a 'hand-out'. If, it weren't for 'the working man' we wouldn't have a 1%.

Chuck

A checker at a grocery store making minimum wage? I don't think so.

I have worked since I could legally be hired under my state laws and I started at minimum wage and worked my way up.

I am torn, I understand it is tough to get paid that little.

I also know the impacts of raising the minimum wage. Do you want to explain to the guy making minimum wage that he got fired by his company because the minimum wage was raised? Great for the checkers making the now higher wage, but crappy for the guy that got canned.

What about automation, everyone knows these greedy 1%er instituted automation so they could screw the working man... or maybe not.

Automation caused us to lose a lot of manufacturing jobs. The flip side is that it allowed us enough efficiency to have some manufacturing businesses survive when competing against ultra low wage nations. Sucks for the guys fired, but it is better than losing all of the jobs at a given company.

There is multiple sides to every story, much easier to post rubbish from some one sided source!
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

The US is at a tough time right now. Given the current times, a decent number of people are going to have to take a reset of their standard of living.

Whether it's going to work for significantly less, taking retirement before they were ready, moving to get a fairly undesirable job (e.g. picking crops), moving into group living situations to reduce living costs -- these are things that many people really didn't think about past early adulthood for a long time.

Immigrants did many of them -- ever notice how many immigrants seem to be able to get ahead from very small starts? It's that willingness to reduce their expectations for a bigger long-term payout for either them or their children.

Obviously this has absolutely nothing to do with the 1%.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

From what I've seen, many of the 'immigrants' go to where they have family or friends who have established themselves. They start with the usual 7-11 jobs and their friends or relatives get them 'in' at a higher paying job when openings come-up. Then, they go from there. More than likely, their patience and perseverence pays-off.

Chuck

Good thing that there is insurance. Hopefully, the people working at the auto plants will be manufacturing additional vehicles.

for the 1% (who crashed the economy) we were their insurance policy...

How about the 75 percent who crashed the economy. You know, people who took out bigger mortgages than they can afford? Did the economy really start tanking when people STOPPED paying their mortgages?

Sure, the bankers were complicit. As were the policymakers, politicians, etc. Quit pointing your finger at a chosen villain and take an objective look. I point the finger at myself, too.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Good thing that there is insurance. Hopefully, the people working at the auto plants will be manufacturing additional vehicles.

How about the 75 percent who crashed the economy. You know, people who took out bigger mortgages than they can afford? Did the economy really start tanking when people STOPPED paying their mortgages?

Sure, the bankers were complicit. As were the policymakers, politicians, etc. Quit pointing your finger at a chosen villain and take an objective look. I point the finger at myself, too.

Hey! This is the SC! Take your reasonable argument somewhere else.:ph34r:

I think too, too many American workers don't like the idea of their jobs being exported to places like China and Bangladesh!

Chuck

They sure didn’t mind their jobs being left to imported Hispanic labor. You know, those guys and gals working their asses off in fields and packing sheds?

There are jobs we cornfed Americans just won’t do anymore.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

I think too, too many American workers don't like the idea of their jobs being exported to places like China and Bangladesh!

Chuck

They sure didn’t mind their jobs being left to imported Hispanic labor. You know, those guys and gals working their asses off in fields and packing sheds?

There are jobs we cornfed Americans just won’t do anymore.

Yup! I can remember a time when I did that kind of work and still, have the calouses to prove it. It was honest and it was a job. Like you said, corn-fed Americans want those cushy jobs that pay big and are un-willing to start at the bottom.

Chuck

which is why the minimum wage has to be increased...

We have already had this debate with you, ad nauseum. Lets just agree to disagree on the impact of a change in the minimum wage. It isn't something we need to debate unless we like hitting ourselves in the head with hammers!
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

BINGO!!!! You've nailed the whole mess right here,,,the alleged 1% is a small part of the overall root cause, I too can also point the finger at myself.

"The greater danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it." - Michelangelo

I could have sworn when I opened this thread this morning prior to heading off to work that the topic was about a bunch of zipperheads who do not possess the skill to drive their high performance automobiles at the limit, nor did they have the judgment to know not to push themselves while on the public roads. But while I was off at work I see the thread morphed into yet another minimum wage debate. Too funny. :ph34r:

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

It's so much easier to villainize others. especially when it is a small group, say, 1%. The one percent cannot defend itself against the 99 percent. It's a very slick marketing matter of us versus them.

When it comes to shifting wealth their way, the 1% has done very well against the 99% over the past 30 years. They have also done a very nice job of buying our legislators.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

For every homebuyer who took out a loan, there was at least one financial services company (broker, bank, secondary market company, insurance company...) as a complicit partner. In most cases, more than one. Since there are far more homeowners than banks, secondaries, etc., each bank... has far more responsibility for the mess than any individual homebuyer.

Point your finger where you like, but the financial services industry was the enabler of the entire mess.

BTW, my house is paid for.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

We have already had this debate with you, ad nauseum. Lets just agree to disagree on the impact of a change in the minimum wage. It isn't something we need to debate unless we like hitting ourselves in the head with hammers!

one impact will be local workers will be more inclined to work - rather than leave minimum wage work to immigrants. thus less immigrant and more local work done...
stay away from moving propellers - they bite
blue skies from thai sky adventures
good solid response-provoking keyboarding

Which raises the cost of goods, negating that bloated minimum wage...

which means less demand for migrant workers and less paid out by the state to those who work...

It's so much easier to villainize others. especially when it is a small group, say, 1%. The one percent cannot defend itself against the 99 percent.

that's why they've bought the government - and are still getting richer and richer (while the rest of us get poorer). it seems attack is their best form of defense. worked up to now...

I could have sworn when I opened this thread this morning prior to heading off to work that the topic was about a bunch of zipperheads who do not possess the skill to drive their high performance automobiles at the limit.

no, the thread is about the 1% thinking they own the road and repeatedly crashing our economy...

one impact will be local workers will be more inclined to work - rather than leave minimum wage work to immigrants. thus less immigrant and more local work done...

Ahh - you would rather immigrants didn't work. Do you think we should make them sell their businesses too?

The avatar store called - they have new hammer/cycle .gifs in stock