SpeedRacer

Is it appropriate to have Rush Limbaugh on at work, where customers/coworkers can hear?

I think it's rude to have highly charged political or religious broadcasting on at work where other people have to listen to it. But I have worked at two different places where someone was blasting Limbaugh for everyone's "benefit.":P
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

>Is it appropriate to have Rush Limbaugh on at work, where customers/coworkers can hear?

Depends. At a sawmill where people yell at each other all day? Probably fine. In an office where people are on teleconferences? Probably not a good idea.

I think it's rude to have highly charged political or religious broadcasting on at work where other people have to listen to it. But I have worked at two different places where someone was blasting Limbaugh for everyone's "benefit.":P

Suggestion, listen to the first hour of Limbaugh then switch over to NPR.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

I think it's rude to have highly charged political or religious broadcasting on at work where other people have to listen to it.

Is it on a public speaker system that is piped all over the building with the manager in charge of channel selection? Or is it a single individual playing his own radio?

If the former, probably not much you can do about it. You can ask it to be turned off or down, but if they say no, tough luck.

If the latter, you can ask the individual to turn it down, and if he doesn't, escalate to management. If they don't do anything, then get your own radio and play something else to drown out his radio. The racket will get so loud that management will be forced to tell everyone to turn 'em off/down, and you'll get what you want.

Milton Waddams: I was told that I could listen to the radio at a reasonable volume from nine to eleven, I told Bill that if Sandra is going to listen to her headphones while she's filing then I should be able to listen to the radio while I'm collating so I don't see why I should have to turn down the radio because I enjoy listening at a reasonable volume from nine to eleven.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0151804/quotes

I think it's rude to have highly charged political or religious broadcasting on at work where other people have to listen to it.

Unless a person is 100% certain everyone within earshot agrees with the selection, it's completely inappropriate and the person should be told so . . . unless it's the boss' radio.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

>Unless a person is 100% certain everyone within earshot agrees with the selection,
>it's completely inappropriate . . .

Geez, nobody ever completely agrees with anything.

At the cafeteria in our buildings you'll find FOX News, CNN, a soap opera, the ESPN channel etc. And I really wouldn't choose ESPN or the soap opera, but I don't really care since I'm not there to watch TV.

>Unless a person is 100% certain everyone within earshot agrees with the selection,

At the cafeteria in our buildings you'll find FOX News, CNN, a soap opera, the ESPN channel etc. And I really wouldn't choose ESPN or the soap opera, but I don't really care since I'm not there to watch TV.

Depends on your options there. For the most part you're not supposed to be in the break room for 8 hours.

Your DESK however is where you're supposed to be and if somebody within earshot is playing music you don't like or you have to listen to some radio jaw flapper screaming non-sense, then I think it's inevitable that's going to lead to problems.

It's just plain rude to begin with.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Are you located north or south of the Mason-Dixon line?
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

It's inappropriate to force other people, who must remain at their work stations near you, to listen to music they may not like, or ideological stuff they might not agree with. That's what earphones are for. This should be a clearly-stated workplace rule right from the get-go (and, at many places, it is).

It's inappropriate to force other people, who must remain at their work stations near you, to listen to music they may not like, or ideological stuff they might not agree with. That's what earphones are for. This should be a clearly-stated workplace rule right from the get-go (and, at many places, it is).

Agreed
This should even be extended to those damned plug in oil filled sent makers
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Inappropriate outside of headphones. I'd consider very low volume, mainstream music to be the most controversial background noise appropriate in a work place. Howard Stern, Rush Limbaugh, Air America...these types of things should all be confined to home, car, or headphones.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

I think it's rude to have highly charged political or religious broadcasting on at work where other people have to listen to it. But I have worked at two different places where someone was blasting Limbaugh for everyone's "benefit."

It is just as rude to blast liberal programing.

I think it's rude to have highly charged political or religious broadcasting on at work where other people have to listen to it. But I have worked at two different places where someone was blasting Limbaugh for everyone's "benefit."

It is just as rude to blast liberal programing.

Of course it is; I don't think he was saying otherwise, nor was anyone else in the thread. I'm pretty sure his reference to Limbaugh was meant to be a single representative example of a general idea.

Yes, his show is on KTRH 740 from 11:00 to 2:00 PM and is listened to by most in my office.

Then we're off to Hannity...but there are many occassions that it is placed on mute to allow for work related discussions.

It is extremely rude to expose sane people to the rantings of a crazy, drug addled gasbag.

I have gone into retail business establishments, heard Lush Rimjob being "shared" with the staff and customers, and done the following -

I picked up some of the expensive items I likely would have bought if they weren't clueless idiots, taken them to the check out counter, and asked to speak to a manager/owner. When that person showed up, I tell them that, due to the "entertainment" being forced upon thier potential customers, I was NOT going to purchase the items that day.

All three of the businesses in my area that had this issue are now closed. Is there a connection? I sure hope so.

Too bad I don't work for ASCAP and thus would have had the ability to cost them a ton of money for rebroadcasting copyrighted material in public spaces without paying for the privlege.

It is extremely rude to expose sane people to the rantings of a crazy, drug addled gasbag.

I have gone into retail business establishments, heard Lush Rimjob being "shared" with the staff and customers, and done the following -

I picked up some of the expensive items I likely would have bought if they weren't clueless idiots, taken them to the check out counter, and asked to speak to a manager/owner. When that person showed up, I tell them that, due to the "entertainment" being forced upon thier potential customers, I was NOT going to purchase the items that day.

All three of the businesses in my area that had this issue are now closed. Is there a connection? I sure hope so.

Too bad I don't work for ASCAP and thus would have had the ability to cost them a ton of money for rebroadcasting copyrighted material in public spaces without paying for the privlege.

I think your story is made up, YEP I don't believe YOU, that story is like getting struck by lightening more than four times in a life time. I can't see one person such as yourself impacting a business because he was subjected to over hearing a group of people discussing Rush's program or any other such topics. What's the name of that card game?? "Bull Shit" that sums it up.

That's just my .02 cents. Now off to myself imposed BANNING:ph34r:

Depends on your options there. For the most part you're not supposed to be in the break room for 8 hours.

Your DESK however is where you're supposed to be and if somebody within earshot is playing music you don't like or you have to listen to some radio jaw flapper screaming non-sense, then I think it's inevitable that's going to lead to problems.

It's just plain rude to begin with.

It totally depends on he situation. If it is in an office with multiple conference calls going on...kill it.
If it is in a gunshop...you'll get shot or fired for objecting.
Campaign HQ for a Democrat? Bad idea.
Campaign HQ for a hardcore Republican? Tune it in and rip the knob off.
For the most part, though, it's the boss's call. If you don't like his decision you can appeal to his boss...if he has one.
HAMMER:
Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a
kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the
object we are trying to hit.

If you worked for ASCAP, you'd know that having a radio playing isn't rebroadcasting in public spaces.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

From a quick look-up, I'm pretty sure that if the sound emanated from the receiving radio's own speakers (even if with the volume turned way up), that is not "rebroadcasting". However, if the radio's reception were to be, say, played over the PA system - i.e., emanating from speakers other than the radio's own speakers - such that it could be heard by the general public, that may be considered "rebroadcasting". (There may be more standards other than this, I just haven't looked it up extensively.)