Amazon

Former Sheriff Of The Year arrested

Bad boys bad boys what cha gonna do when they cum for you

A retired policeman who was once named America's 'Sheriff Of The Year' has been arrested on suspicion of trying to exchange drugs with a man in return for sex.
Former Arapahoe County Sheriff Patrick Sullivan, 68, was such a success as a law enforcement officer that he is now being held in a Colorado jail named in his honour.

He was being 'visually monitored' when he delivered methamphetamine to a home in Aurora, Colorado, and asked for sex as payment, it is alleged.

Sullivan, who was county sheriff from 1984 until he retired in 2002, is being held in isolation in the Patrick J Sullivan Jr Detention Facility.

He even took part in a Colorado-wide methamphetamine task force in 2000.

His successor Grayson Robinson today told the Denver Post: 'This shows that no one is above the law, particularly a current or a former peace officer.'
Sheriff Robinson said officers received a tip-off that Sullivan was involved in the distribution of methamphetamine in early November.

After he retired in 2002, Sullivan became director of safety and security for Cherry Creek Schools before stepping down in 2008.

Sullivan was a nationally-recognised expert on cyber-terrorism and news of his arrest has shocked his former colleagues.

Former Arapahoe County District Attorney Jim Peters said the allegations against him are 'totally out of character' and 'hard to believe'.

Mr Peters told the Denver Post: 'He was completely ethical, upright and honest. He just oozed honesty and integrity. He was an outstanding sheriff.'

I wonder how many of these it will take before all those cops so eagerly backing the all-seeing all-watching all-monitoring police state realize that it means "Yes, you, too, are in the cage and being watched, along with the rest of us."

I got another taste last night on my way home from work. Saw a cop about to pull out onto dark empty road 300 yards ahead. Slowed down to let him pull in front of me. But no, he waited for me to arrive and pass. Then pulled out behind me, aggressively ran up onto my back bumper and rode my ass from 4 feet away into a reduced speed zone like he was trying to intimidate me into speeding up so he could bust me. "Oh, you wanna play bully, do you?"

I declined to play and proceeded to crawl across town at precisely 33 mph refusing to give the slightest excuse.
Cop got frustrated apparently because he then proceeded to play that game, following me at extreme close range all the way across town. Eventually gave up and broke off when I continued driving in such a way as to send the message "I made you before you even saw me and I'm not going to give you the satisfaction so give it up."
I wonder how many people they intimidate into ticketable speeds that way?
I feel SOOOO secure...
-B
Live and learn... or die, and teach by example.

aggressively ran up onto my back bumper and rode my ass from 4 feet away into a reduced speed zone like he was trying to intimidate me into speeding up

I saw that behavior this morning on the way to work from about 10 different drivers -

over half were just soccer moms

maybe your cop isn't trying to 'bust you' - maybe he's just another impatient, asshole driver - or a soccer mom

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Given his age, I'm wondering if there was some mental deterioration that was perhaps a factor here. I've seen cases where older offenders are acting completely out of character due to early stage dementia, having been upstanding citizens all their lives. Sometimes the ethical/logical centers of the brain are the first to be affected. When an older person does something considered to be drastically out of character, a mental evaluation should always take place before passing judgment.

That said, if he's of sound mental faculties and using what he learned in law enforcement to commit crimes, throw the entire book at him. Lock him up in that jail with his name on it, and once he's out, change the name.

I wonder how many of these it will take before all those cops so eagerly backing the all-seeing all-watching all-monitoring police state realize that it means "Yes, you, too, are in the cage and being watched, along with the rest of us."

I got another taste last night on my way home from work. Saw a cop about to pull out onto dark empty road 300 yards ahead. Slowed down to let him pull in front of me. But no, he waited for me to arrive and pass. Then pulled out behind me, aggressively ran up onto my back bumper and rode my ass from 4 feet away into a reduced speed zone like he was trying to intimidate me into speeding up so he could bust me. "Oh, you wanna play bully, do you?"

I declined to play and proceeded to crawl across town at precisely 33 mph refusing to give the slightest excuse.
Cop got frustrated apparently because he then proceeded to play that game, following me at extreme close range all the way across town. Eventually gave up and broke off when I continued driving in such a way as to send the message "I made you before you even saw me and I'm not going to give you the satisfaction so give it up."
I feel SOOOO secure...
-B

I've had them do that to me. I just suddenly decide I need a gas station. No cop is going to wait ten minutes to ticket you while you pump gas, so they go find another mark. They're usually gone thirty seconds after you pull into the station, but I usually take the opportunity to fill the gas tank just to be sure.

Lock him up in that jail with his name on it, and once he's out, change the name.

Leave the jail name and make the old guy change HIS name instead. The jail didn't change, the sheriff did (under your scenario).

:P

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

If he were THAT impatient, he would have just taken the empty highway he had available in front of me. I was the only car in sight, visible LONG before I got there yet he waited more than 30 extra seconds at the turn for me to arrive and pass him before he pulled out behind me. He had over 1000 yards of totally clear empty highway to pull on to at any time but he chose to wait till I got there. I'd backed off the gas to give him even MORE time to make his turn at leisure but he didn't take it, just waited.

No, it was quite deliberate targeting. Pick the first car you see, and bust it. I know that stretch of highway and its a VERY well known local speed trap. Plus, since this is my route home from work every night, this is FAR from the first time I've been selected for this. More like the 18th, maybe 20th. In a year.

Twice during these games, they DID pull me over anyway on fishing expedition. When asked why, because I hadn't been speeding, I was told "But you looked like you would have been when you hit the 35 zone if I hadn't been behind you."

I told him openly at the time that I knew this road well since its my route to work, I know they watch it and I never roll that intersection faster than 36. He let me go untouched.

But they still like to play the game.
-B

you're a bit serious on this bit - I'll leave you to it and find others to play with.

Perhaps you could go find a soccer mom or real estate agent and try tailgating them as they run red lights and drive on the stripes while digging around in their back seats.

it always makes me feel better

Well, I try not to take it personal, they do this to everybody, I'm just a regular on that road late at night so I get it over and over again. But I get REAL sick of that perpetual sense of "You are being watched by people waiting to pounce at the slightest excuse" and on THAT road, that sensation is intense, and very accurate.

I will admit to a certain vicious sense of satisfaction seeing one of them get eaten by their own by the same surveillance they keep US under. Mister Sheriff Of The Year probably spent a lot of time watching and waiting, probably bagged a lot of people who didn't deserve it, and has now been undone by the same when he did deserve it. Thats gotta sting a bit.

Edit to add: Nightingale might be right though, sheriffs behavior might be dementia talking. I might be gloating at the misfortune of a sick man and thats dishonorable. Give the poor schmuck the benefit of the doubt.
-B

I've seen that "tailgate until you speed" trick lots of times. Ironically, in Alabama, exceeding the speed limit by less than 25 mph carries 2 points penalty, following too closely carries 3 points. I guess if you thought it would make a difference, you could write local officials and ask that police not do something more dangerous than the behavior they're trying to prevent. Do you think a letter like that would make a difference?
You don't have to outrun the bear.

I've been tempted to but you know what stops me?
Complaining is a great way to get even MORE attention. Personalized attention. I live in this town and I do NOT wanna piss them off. I just wanna be left alone and the last thing I need is the local cops to have a grudge cause I called foul on their favorite late night game. They might want to play the game a whole lot MORE, after I make a stink about it... So far, they've been letting me win...not ticketed yet.
-B

I feel SOOOO secure...
-B

Is tailgationg illegal in your jurisdiction?

I feel SOOOO secure...
-B

I've had that happen to me before, but not that extreme. Just drive normal as if you're doing nothing wrong. Fuck em.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I've been tempted to but you know what stops me?
Complaining is a great way to get even MORE attention. Personalized attention. I live in this town and I do NOT wanna piss them off. I just wanna be left alone and the last thing I need is the local cops to have a grudge cause I called foul on their favorite late night game. They might want to play the game a whole lot MORE, after I make a stink about it... So far, they've been letting me win...not ticketed yet.
-B

yes, that is the dilemma, since they play the game for an 8 hour shift, you are just trying to get home.

It's totally different, but.....

I know if I actually drive the speed limit (especially in town on roads that no one drives the speed limit) - I pretty much always get tailgated. Everyone is in the habit of going 5-10 MPH over on all the roads.

I'd think it would suck driving any kind of car that looks like a cop car - everyone slows down to the posted and you are always stuck behind them.

It would be neat if a police cruiser was like a taxi and they could flip a sign from "on duty" to "off duty" whenever they just feel like driving home at the end of the day and you want to let the other drivers know they can drive "normal" instead of "anti-ticket".

It's totally different, but.....

I know if I actually drive the speed limit (especially in town on roads that no one drives the speed limit) - I pretty much always get tailgated. Everyone is in the habit of going 5-10 MPH over on all the roads.

I'd think it would suck driving any kind of car that looks like a cop car - everyone slows down to the posted and you are always stuck behind them.

It would be neat if a police cruiser was like a taxi and they could flip a sign from "on duty" to "off duty" whenever they just feel like driving home at the end of the day and you want to let the other drivers know they can drive "normal" instead of "anti-ticket".

Oh I rarely drive at the speed limit. Its always at least 5 over. ;) If somebody is riding my ass impatiently on a neighborhood road, I ride at exactly the speed limit, bitch. :P
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

If somebody is riding my ass impatiently on a neighborhood road, I ride at exactly the speed limit, bitch.

or less - their lack of courtesy tends to get the same in return

...I'd think it would suck driving any kind of car that looks like a cop car - everyone slows down to the posted and you are always stuck behind them.

I know someone who has a Ford Crown Vic with the extra antenna and the spotlight - It used to be an unmarked cop car.

She has a lot of fun with it that way.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo