Belgian_Draft

How long should protestors be allowed to occupy a piece of ground?

so at what point do protesters become revolutionary fighters??

Hmmm, let's see . . . 1776 minus 1765 . . . carry the one . . .

The way I have it figured, there's at least another ten years before the shooting starts. BTW, that also tracks pretty well with the French Revolutionary war.

Unless, of course, things change a bit.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

so at what point do protesters become revolutionary fighters??

Hmmm, let's see . . . 1776 minus 1765 . . . carry the one . . .

there's no 1 to carry. let me get my third grader to teach you math. :P

so 11 years is your answer. (at that point, they cease to be protesters, and the clock stops wrt this question)
--
Rob

"Carry the one" is poetic license based on parallel construction of the first smart assed remark (in other words, to make the joke work correctly).

I actually find it hilarious that "real Americans" are complaining about protesters occupying land.

Uh . . . yeah . . . about that . . .
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

"Carry the one" is poetic license based on parallel construction of the first smart assed remark (in other words, to make the joke work correctly).

I actually find it hilarious that "real Americans" are complaining about protesters occupying land.

I don't care if people assemble and protest. Hell, I welcome it. What I object to is people assembling on public ground, making a mess of the place, then refusing to leave when their permits expire and well after whatever message they are trying to get out has been brought out. There comes a time when the protests start to be counter-productive. OWS has long since passed that point. They don't even realize what a laughing stock they have become.
HAMMER:
Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a
kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the
object we are trying to hit.

Hey.. Sarah loves those "real Americans" ... to her and her fellow travellers no one else matters in thios country.[:/]

I don't care if people assemble and protest. Hell, I welcome it. What I object to is people assembling on public ground, making a mess of the place, then refusing to leave when their permits expire and well after whatever message they are trying to get out has been brought out. There comes a time when the protests start to be counter-productive. OWS has long since passed that point. They don't even realize what a laughing stock they have become.

RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT... they wore out their welcome about 15 minutes after they started pointing out the inequities that you and your fellow travellers refuse to acknowledge.
But you are on talking point with the clandestine Homeland Security con call to Mayors across the land about the mess... Mouthing the FAUX News homilies will NOT stop this becoming a larger and more pervasive problem for those of you in the 1% and their paid lackeys and ever TRICKLE hopefull supporters.

DONT TAX THE JOB CREATORS...... uh huh.. wheres the jobs bubba???... oh thats right.. no jobs until you non supporters vote the black guy out of office... cause he is a scary commie :S:S:S:S

RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT... they wore out their welcome about 15 minutes after they started pointing out the inequities that you and your fellow travellers refuse to acknowledge.
But you are on talking point with the clandestine Homeland Security con call to Mayors across the land about the mess... Mouthing the FAUX News homilies will NOT stop this becoming a larger and more pervasive problem for those of you in the 1% and their paid lackeys and ever TRICKLE hopefull supporters.

DONT TAX THE JOB CREATORS...... uh huh.. wheres the jobs bubba???... oh thats right.. no jobs until you non supporters vote the black guy out of office... cause he is a scary commie :S:S:S:S

So tell us, Old Wise One, just which inequalities are there that you would change? Income? Sorry, that's one freedom we enjoy. Tax rates? Hmmm....there is already an escalating tax scale.
Speak girl! Speak!
HAMMER:
Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a
kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the
object we are trying to hit.

What I object to is people assembling on public ground, making a mess of the place, then refusing to leave when their permits expire ...

What I object to is the requirement to have a permit to exercise your 1st amendment rights.

- Dan G

What I object to is people assembling on public ground, making a mess of the place, then refusing to leave when their permits expire ...

What I object to is the requirement to have a permit to exercise your 1st amendment rights.

True, it is bad, but it is what is "required" and some groups have to follow the requirement and others do not. It should be one standard in this case. I also think the Permit holder should incur the costs to the permit issuer for the holders protest, or rally, etc.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

Ding.

Lack of advance notice to the government, combined with anonymity, are often crucial elements of the exercise of free speech and expression, especially of a political nature.

How do you feel about the requirement to have a permit to exercise your 2nd amendment rights?
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I don't have a problem with requiring proper permits, especially if it's a large group. As long as the permits are not restricted.

Here in Wisconsin, the KKK had a rally on the capitol steps a few years ago. They needed a permit to set up the PA equipment (and a few other things too, IIIRC). A bunch of folks wanted the permit denied because of the hatred in their message, but those in charge said that as long as they followed the rules and the laws, the permit had to be issued.

This sort of permit process allows the local authorities advanced notice to prepare for the event. Traffic control, crowd control (at the KKK rally, the ones protesting against the KKK outnumbered the KKK by 4:1 or more), sanitation and all the other logistical stuff.

Interestingly, in Richmond VA, the Tea Party is demanding a refund for the fees they had to pay for their rally. They noticed that the "Occupy" group didn't have to get permits or pay and want to know why they should have had to.

http://www.wtvr.com/news/wtvr-richmond-tea-party-wants-refund-after-seeing-occupy-richmond-protesters-camp-out-for-free-20111026,0,7880023.story
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I don't have a problem with requiring proper permits, especially if it's a large group. As long as the permits are not restricted.

Here in Wisconsin, the KKK had a rally on the capitol steps a few years ago. They needed a permit to set up the PA equipment (and a few other things too, IIIRC). A bunch of folks wanted the permit denied because of the hatred in their message, but those in charge said that as long as they followed the rules and the laws, the permit had to be issued.

This sort of permit process allows the local authorities advanced notice to prepare for the event. Traffic control, crowd control (at the KKK rally, the ones protesting against the KKK outnumbered the KKK by 4:1 or more), sanitation and all the other logistical stuff

Those seem like fair practical public policy considerations. But as I noted above, it comes at the expense of anonymity. And lack of anonymity can ultimately translate to targeted persecution.

How do you feel about the requirement to have a permit to exercise your 2nd amendment rights?

I don't think you should need a permit for that, either.

As vain as the wish may be, I'd like to keep this thread on track, so I'll leave it at that.

- Dan G

I don't think you should need a permit for that, either.

As vain as the wish may be, I'd like to keep this thread on track, so I'll leave it at that.

I appreciate your honesty in replying, thank you.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Those seem like fair practical public policy considerations. But as I noted above, it comes at the expense of anonymity. And lack of anonymity can ultimately translate to targeted persecution.

Persecution is fine. "Prosecution" is different.

I understand the desire to be anonymous in numerous things. But I am not a person who has NEARLY the same problem with “persecution” over beliefs as with “prosecution” over beliefs.

I was reading about the things going on in Los Angeles this morning. The part that got me, again, was the part about some protesters taking over streets and intersections. Their chant: “Whose streets? OUR STREETS!” This is my FUNDAMENTAL disagreement. The streets are EVERYBODY’S streets. Not theirs. Not mine. Everybody’s streets, parks, sidewalks, etc. Except for private property belongs to those who either own it or lease it.

The reasons for time, place and manner restrictions are best exemplified by the few assholes blocking streets who are of the feeling that their right to block streets is superior to the rights of the thousands of others who just want to use them. The reasons for these permit requirements stem from the actions of those who exercise private dominion over public land.

I see the problems that you see, Andy. It just comes down to the subjective weighing of interests.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Persecution is fine. "Prosecution" is different.

I understand the desire to be anonymous in numerous things. But I am not a person who has NEARLY the same problem with “persecution” over beliefs as with “prosecution” over beliefs.

I was reading about the things going on in Los Angeles this morning. The part that got me, again, was the part about some protesters taking over streets and intersections. Their chant: “Whose streets? OUR STREETS!” This is my FUNDAMENTAL disagreement. The streets are EVERYBODY’S streets. Not theirs. Not mine. Everybody’s streets, parks, sidewalks, etc. Except for private property belongs to those who either own it or lease it.

The reasons for time, place and manner restrictions are best exemplified by the few assholes blocking streets who are of the feeling that their right to block streets is superior to the rights of the thousands of others who just want to use them. The reasons for these permit requirements stem from the actions of those who exercise private dominion over public land.

I see the problems that you see, Andy. It just comes down to the subjective weighing of interests.

What he said.

I'm not a fan of requiring permits for most assemblies and protests (amplified sound being are area I am ok with permitting). However, like the man said, Time Place Manner are so that everybody can exercise their rights, not just the most demanding.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*