Ketia0

Need info on gun

May I suggest... rather than sanding the stock, get some 're-finisher' as used on fine furniture and 0000 - steel wool. follow the instructions on the container. this will better remove the water stains and in the process, clean-up any dirt and grime from the wood. I've done this with some old shotguns and rifles my dad left me. For a finish, I used pure Tung oil. It's time consuming but the results are really good.

Chuck

The real value of this rifle is that it's from your grandpa, and that's why it's worth cherishing.

I agree with you on that one John. If that rifle were mine it wouldn't go anywhere, except in my Winchester Gun Safe. Nice rifle, really nice.
-Richard-
"You're Holding The Rope And I'm Taking The Fall"

The federal government requires that imported firearms have the importers name stamped on the barrel, since 1968 I believe. So that's the company that brought it into America, and it tells something about when it arrived in-country. ***

thanks John! :)
Roy

They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

The real value of this rifle is that it's from your grandpa, and that's why it's worth cherishing.

You are 100% correct. Thats why im not going to sell it. I just wanted to make it look nicer.

Here are some pics of the gun. you can see the water stains on the wood. you cant really see the surface rust that well.

It was such a pain in the butt to take apart. It felt like the metal was glued to the wood.
"In this game you can't predict the future. You just have to play the odds. "-JohnMitchell

I would be careful with the solvent, you might make it rust even more if you leave it without getting oil on. I was told to use oil instead, and rub it all over the rust, then wrap the gun in ceran wrap. This prevents the oil from drying off.

Nice rifle! If you do decide to refinish it, you can reblue at home with some great results. Check out "Rust Bluing" it is suppose to be the proper way of bluing a rifle, hot bluing is sort of a faster shortcut.

Take care of that thing, it should provide great service for many generations.