Ketia0

Need info on gun

Inheritated a new gun, but have little to no info on it. Thanks gramps!!!

Here is what I do know

1. Its old
2. Its a 7mm mag
3. Has a 3 1/2 pound trigger pull
4. Taking it apart is proving to be tricky...

I googled the names on the gun and didnt come up with much info. Its a Austria made gun.

If anyone has ever owned one, or know of anyone who does, help would be appreciated!
"In this game you can't predict the future. You just have to play the odds. "-JohnMitchell

Inheritated a new gun, but have little to no info on it. Thanks gramps!!!

Here is what I do know

1. Its old
2. Its a 7mm mag
3. Has a 3 1/2 pound trigger pull
4. Taking it apart is proving to be tricky...

I googled the names on the gun and didnt come up with much info. Its a Austria made gun.

If anyone has ever owned one, or know of anyone who does, help would be appreciated!

http://www.huntingnut.com/index.php?file=viewtopic&name=forums&t=1996

It will give you an idea of what the different barrel stampings are.

It would be interesting to see the rest of the action... and the importer was probably in Yakima.

I have no idea how old it is. I had a hard time seperating the barrel from the wooden stock. Felt like it was glued! :S

The wood was soft and was crushing in when I was using a screwdriver to try and pry it.

"In this game you can't predict the future. You just have to play the odds. "-JohnMitchell

I will take better pictures of it tonight. I have it all disassembled now. I am going to have to sand down the stock... Gramps let water stain it. [:/]

The barrel has some surface rust on it, So im ganna see how much it will be to get it re-blued.

From what I can tell, once I have it refinished it should be worth about $600 or so.

My father in law was saying that the action is not a bolt action but a Mauser? He showed me the "claw for extraction". He is much smarter than me when it comes to guns!!

He is going to show me how to sand the stock down and re-finish it.

My father in law was saying that the action is not a bolt action but a Mauser? He showed me the "claw for extraction". He is much smarter than me when it comes to guns!!

He is going to show me how to sand the stock down and re-finish it.

It's a bolt action based on the Mauser design. The Mauser action is very strong and reliable.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

The barrel has some surface rust on it, So im ganna see how much it will be to get it re-blued.

If it's only surface rust, then it might not need to be re-blued. See if you can find some Hoppe's #9 -- powder solvent, I think it's called -- and simply rub it on the rust with your fingers. Very often, this will remove the rust and salvage the blueing.
I'm a jumper. Even though I don't always have money for jumps, and may not ever own a rig again, I'll always be a jumper.

Ill deffiantly grab some!! Itll be awhile before I shoot it. I want it re-finished before I take it back out. It will deffiantly need oiled and cleaned big time!

Im looking into replacing the butt stock pad. It looks to be waaay to old. Ive heard the 7mm mag kick HARD.

If it's only surface rust, then it might not need to be re-blued. See if you can find some Hoppe's #9 -- powder solvent, I think it's called -- and simply rub it on the rust with your fingers. Very often, this will remove the rust and salvage the blueing.

Just be prepared to rub it a LOT -- it doesn't make the rust just fall off, you have to rub it, as if you're using your fingers as very mild sandpaper. Takes a while, but it works.
I'm a jumper. Even though I don't always have money for jumps, and may not ever own a rig again, I'll always be a jumper.

Ill deffiantly grab some!! Itll be awhile before I shoot it. I want it re-finished before I take it back out. It will deffiantly need oiled and cleaned big time!

Im looking into replacing the butt stock pad. It looks to be waaay to old. Ive heard the 7mm mag kick HARD.

http://www.limbsaver.com/2011/firearms/38-39-40.php;)
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I will take better pictures of it tonight. I have it all disassembled now. I am going to have to sand down the stock... Gramps let water stain it.
The barrel has some surface rust on it, So im ganna see how much it will be to get it re-blued. From what I can tell, once I have it refinished it should be worth about $600 or so.

If you do any of what you say you're going to do to that rifle, the value of the gun will plummet like an anvil in the Atlantic. Re-Bluing the barrel for instance will remove any and all petina, the absolute worst thing that could happen to the rifle. I would take and have it appraised and make my decision from there. How ever, it's your gun, so do as you wish. I'm just pointing out what's going to happen if you refurb the rifle.
-Richard-
"You're Holding The Rope And I'm Taking The Fall"

Oh wow. I didnt know that.

Thanks for the info. Im going to try using that powder first and see how much of the surface rust I can get off.

re-finishing the stock shouldnt effect the value in a bad way, huh?

A gunsmith will advise you, no charge.
That gun will kick like a mule. Do not shoot it without help if it has a scope, unless you are a veteran scope shooter. You will destroy your face, or worse, your eye. Not a joke, I have seen it happen, too often. It sucks.

Im going to try using that powder first and see how much of the surface rust I can get off. re-finishing the stock shouldnt effect the value in a bad way, huh?

Were it my rifle, I wouldn't touch any of the finishes. Leaving the rust where it is will do you more good than removing. Collectors want them as close to original as possible. Any alterations will only costs you in the end by dropping the rifle in value. As I said earlier, have it appraised and if you do that, that's where the smart money is. Ask the appraiser questions about removing the petina, and altering the finish on the stock. Contrary to popular belief, a skilled rifle person could shoot that rifle and not feel the "Kick" of the gun. I've got a 7 Mag & a 300 winchester, now those rifles will kick your butt.
-Richard-
"You're Holding The Rope And I'm Taking The Fall"

Leaving the rust where it is will do you more good than removing. Collectors want them as close to original as possible. Any alterations will only costs you in the end by dropping the rifle in value.

I'm no antique gun collector, but given my expertise of Pawn Stars, I must concur.
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

Im going to try using that powder first and see how much of the surface rust I can get off. re-finishing the stock shouldnt effect the value in a bad way, huh?

I've got a 7 Mag & a 300 winchester, now those rifles will kick your butt.

This gun is a 7 Mag[:/]

[D22369] why it has a yakima wa stamp on it is what I would like to know

The federal government requires that imported firearms have the importers name stamped on the barrel, since 1968 I believe. So that's the company that brought it into America, and it tells something about when it arrived in-country.

[Ketia0] My father in law was saying that the action is not a bolt action but a Mauser?

The Mauser action IS a bolt action. That refers to the action invented by the Mauser brothers in Germany in the late 1800's. It is so solid and perfect, that most bolt action rifles even to this day still use it. There are other bolt action designs, so Mauser is just one of them, but they are all still bolt action guns.

[Rwieder] gives good advice on the refinishing. For collectible guns, to preserve the value, you leave the patina alone rather than polish it off. You do want to stop the rust though. If it's not a collectible though, or even if it is, then you can choose to refinish it and have a nice-looking as-new gun, or leave it as is to preserve the value and history, warts and all. Those are generally the two different philosophies people have on gun refinishing, and there's always debate on which way to go.

[dks13827] For the scope shooting, yes, don't get your face too close to the eyepiece, or the recoil will jam it back against your eye socket, and cut skin.

Voere rifles were originally made in Austria, then they were bought out in 1987 by Mauser in Germany. They seem to be worth around $300-$500 depending upon condition. Nothing real valuable, so messing with the finish isn't going to ruin the monetary value the way it would on, say, a $10,000 cowboy rifle, which could get you lynched in some circles.

That stylized lettering in your first photo is "Tyrol", a region in Austria, probably where the rifle was made. So it's a Voere model 3000. They were made 1971-74 nothing historic. "LAUFSTAHL 3" means "barrel steel". Do some internet searches and reading on these keywords and you'll learn a lot about it.

For example: http://books.google.com/books?id=Eq2Dnj4sDZIC&pg=PA340&lpg=PA340&dq=voere+model+3000&source=bl&ots=sboxl8JCzJ&sig=mSGSLDfKsUrLdKSxmZPsQgaHwmM&hl=en#v=onepage&q=voere%20model%203000&f=false

The real value of this rifle is that it's from your grandpa, and that's why it's worth cherishing.