DesertAttorney

Shed No Tears for Paterno

Thoughts?

Anyone that knowingly harbors a child rapist deserves jail time.

Fuck him.

Yup Desert Attorney.from many of his posts.. is good with that....... the bubba option.

A rather poetic bit of retribution for someone who commits such a crime, don't you think?

I'm sure she would be more than happy to approve of his pre-trial execution by drone should Obama see fit to order it.
HAMMER:
Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a
kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the
object we are trying to hit.

Thoughts?

Fuck him.

Yup Desert Attorney.from many of his posts.. is good with that....... the bubba option.

A rather poetic bit of retribution for someone who commits such a crime, don't you think?

I'm sure she would be more than happy to approve of his pre-trial execution by drone should Obama see fit to order it.

MORE FROMAGE.......:ph34r::ph34r:

Thoughts?

Fuck him.

MORE FROMAGE.......:ph34r::ph34r:

I expected nothing less (or more) in your response.
HAMMER:
Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a
kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the
object we are trying to hit.

Thoughts?

Fuck him.

+1
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Surprised at the rush to judgement on Paterno; and even more surprised by the hyperbolic editorials.

From what I've read, which is all anybody but the eyewitnesses have to go on, Paterno was not a witness to or present to any abuse. He was told by a 3rd party, and reported it up the chain of command. Haven't seen anything yet on whether or not he ever followed up with his boss, or confronted the abuser directly. There are a lot of possible scenarios in which Joe would be out of the loop regardelss of action being taken (or not) on the abuser.

Yet still we see sensationalist editorials using words like aided, abetted, ignored, looked the other way. It appears from the currently available info those are false accusations.

IMO, the people that ought to be held up for the most intense questioning (other than the actual abuser) are the eyewitness and the topmost official that decided not to take action to remove the abuser. Though again, we don't know the details. Did the eyewitness say something on the spot (like "What the fuck is the matter with you?"). Did he intervene, or at least intrude?

It'll be interesting to hear details on exactly what transpired from the time the abuse took place to the present - if such details are ever made public. Until then, at least IMO, it is premature to hold anybody other than the abuser and the uppermost level of leadership that let it lay (if that is what they did) as responsible.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

Surprised at the rush to judgement on Paterno; and even more surprised by the hyperbolic editorials.

From what I've read, which is all anybody but the eyewitnesses have to go on, Paterno was not a witness to or present to any abuse. He was told by a 3rd party, and reported it up the chain of command. Haven't seen anything yet on whether or not he ever followed up with his boss, or confronted the abuser directly. There are a lot of possible scenarios in which Joe would be out of the loop regardelss of action being taken (or not) on the abuser.

Yet still we see sensationalist editorials using words like aided, abetted, ignored, looked the other way. It appears from the currently available info those are false accusations.

IMO, the people that ought to be held up for the most intense questioning (other than the actual abuser) are the eyewitness and the topmost official that decided not to take action to remove the abuser. Though again, we don't know the details. Did the eyewitness say something on the spot (like "What the fuck is the matter with you?"). Did he intervene, or at least intrude?

It'll be interesting to hear details on exactly what transpired from the time the abuse took place to the present - if such details are ever made public. Until then, at least IMO, it is premature to hold anybody other than the abuser and the uppermost level of leadership that let it lay (if that is what they did) as responsible.

Whether or not he's legally culpable, in moral terms, He's morally culpable for having not screamed it to everyone in the Pennsylvania Criminal Justice system. He is no longer ethically qualified for a position of prominence or prestige.

Why does the guy that told him get a pass?

An interesting possibility was raised by another poster in the other thread on this topic, that perhaps he is protected under whistleblower laws? I don't know enough about those (or about the exact circumstances in which they apply) but I suppose that's a possibility of why he's on administrative leave but still employed.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Whether or not he's legally culpable, in moral terms, He's morally culpable for having not screamed it to everyone in the Pennsylvania Criminal Justice system. He is no longer ethically qualified for a position of prominence or prestige.

So then, is everyone who is ever given second-hand info on accusations of abuse, obliged, under penalty of losing their job, to scream it to everyone in the criminal justice system? Making sure your boss and your bosses boss, and their bosses are aware is not enough?

Again with the hyperbole.

Until we know exactly what was seen and by whom, exactly what was done about it and by whom - most everything is a rush to judgement.

My guess is that firing Joe was seen by the board as a way of looking good to the throngs that wanted immediate action even in the possible absence of facts.

BTW, as a boss I was involved twice in sexual harrassment allegations (not against me, but between employees). In the one case I followed up some time after reporting and was told it was under investigation and I would be consulted further if needed. It was also made clear no information would be shared on the results. Should I have went to the AG's office, my congressman, and the police at that point?
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

So then, is everyone who is ever given second-hand info on accusations of abuse, obliged, under penalty of losing their job, to scream it to everyone in the criminal justice system? Making sure your boss and your bosses boss, and their bosses are aware is not enough?

Again with the hyperbole.

Until we know exactly what was seen and by whom, exactly what was done about it and by whom - most everything is a rush to judgement.

My guess is that firing Joe was seen by the board as a way of looking good to the throngs that wanted immediate action even in the possible absence of facts.

BTW, as a boss I was involved twice in sexual harrassment allegations (not against me, but between employees). In the one case I followed up some time after reporting and was told it was under investigation and I would be consulted further if needed. It was also made clear no information would be shared on the results. Should I have went to the AG's office, my congressman, and the police at that point?

You're not sitting on a $50M empire. You're not the face of said $50M empire to the world. He should have done more.

With great power comes great responsibility. He failed to act responsibly.

Why does the guy that told him get a pass?

An interesting possibility was raised by another poster in the other thread on this topic, that perhaps he is protected under whistleblower laws? I don't know enough about those (or about the exact circumstances in which they apply) but I suppose that's a possibility of why he's on administrative leave but still employed.

Firing him now sends a bit of a mixed message. When he relayed the account the first time and saw nothing happen, it did suggest to him that no one wanted it heard, and that he'd be best off staying clear. And of course, a grad student doesn't get held to the same standards as a head coach with 40 years of tenure, either.

Without commenting specifically on Paterno, I see this affair and its apparent cover-up by Penn State going all the way to the top as an indictment of the entire system of college "amateur" sports.

The huge sums that are now made from so called "students" in so called "amateur" status has totally corrupted the original intent of college athletics, to the point that in many Division 1 schools their importance is only as profit center. It's inconceivable that this would have been covered up by the school unless $millions were involved.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I recognize your point here. I would argue that Paterno was in a unique position however. I can't imagine Penn firing him for telling the legal authorities about an alleged case of child rape occuring at the university. But just because I can't imagine it doesn't mean it isn't possible.

Again, I understand the point you're making here. However, the harrassee in your example wasn't 10 years old (were they?). Was the harrassee accusing someone of anally raping him/her? Also, if the victim from your example believed justice was not done "in house," they always had the option to go to the authorities.

I'm rereading what I just wrote, and I'm not sure I'm making my point very well, but I just think that there is a huge difference in an adult accusing a coworker of being sexually inappropriate with them, and a 10 year old kid being raped. I try to be level-headed and not jump to emotional conclusions, but that's just the way I see it.

Zach

it's an indictment on Penn State's athletic program. It's reaching to go further.

"And I'm not going to sit here and listen while you bad mouth the United States of America!"

Seems I'm not alone in my views of big time college sports.

www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2011/11/16/sports/s013928S86.DTL

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

it's an indictment on Penn State's athletic program. It's reaching to go further.

"And I'm not going to sit here and listen while you bad mouth the United States of America!"

Seems I'm not alone in my views of big time college sports.

www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2011/11/16/sports/s013928S86.DTL

I share Haynes and Leary's view of football players.

This one's pretty great, too. I read this as someone that still follows college sports (to an extent) and cheers for the old alma mater. But what it is today makes me sad.

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/1969/12/the-shame-of-college-sports/8643/?single_page=true
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

This one's pretty great, too. I read this as someone that still follows college sports (to an extent) and cheers for the old alma mater. But what it is today makes me sad.

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/1969/12/the-shame-of-college-sports/8643/?single_page=true

"But the real scandal is the very structure of college sports, wherein student-athletes generate billions of dollars for universities and private companies while earning nothing for themselves. "

Sorry, don't buy it. We're watching thousands of students with massive debt camping out across the country - these Div I athletes are most certainly not earning nothing.