aphid

Jon Huntsman?

I too would vote for Paul

I too hope it is not too late

And i still say the biggest enemy today of our way of life is the media

Should then ever decide to report the truth instead of their aganda, I feel the people would make the corrects votes

So where does the truth come from? Who you gonna trust? Corporations? Government? Maybe educational institutions are the best bet - they certainly would seem to be the least likely to intentionally harm others for their own gain (as institutions).

Tough call on the media. Yeah they are as despicable as politicians these days, but the populace plays their role well, lapping up the pablum. Everyone is capable of turning off the TV, ignoring the flamers, voting for the good of the whole - but they don't.

Their is not only a group conciousness in this country that is strolling towards ignorance - there is a hardening core that embraces it. As long as that continues - and part of it is the victim mentality (the media made me think that way, the media made me do it, I'm powerless to the suggestions of the media), the media will keep shoveling the worthless pablum and outright bullshit.

At the end of the day, each individual makes their choice. On the other hand, no individual raindrop feels responsible for the flood. Such is our current condition.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

Why doesn't he seem to get much attention? He "seems" to this foreigner to be educated, articulate, versed in foreign-policy, with middle-ground economic ideas.

You are seriously out of touch with the average US citizen's criteria for giving their vote.

Of course I am out of touch. I'm not American. Hence I asked the questions as an outside observer in the first place. Thanks to the many who have responded. It's been (for the most part) illuminating for me. Thank you.

John

I will make the assumption that you know who Dan Rather is and his political leanings

Here is a comment he made this weekend

Rather added that Jon Huntsman was the best candidate for the GOP in the 2012 general election, but would have a hard time winning the Republican primary.

"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

I know Rather the news reader, although don't ask me who he works for - I don't pay that much attention to the channel number.

Without really checking, I don't know his political bent. His endorsement/opinion (or lack of one) matters?

(edit: spelling)

I know Rather the new reader, although don't ask me who he works for - I don't pay that much attention to the channel number.

Without really checking, I don't know his political bent. His endorsement/opinion (or lack of one) matters?

He is very much a left leaning reporter
Abraham Lincoln

So, quite a way back in this thread, Wendy suggested among other things that Huntsman (staying with him just for the sake of debate) lacked a wow/glamour thing.

Others have suggested influence can be exerted on the electoral process by the media, both right and left I suppose.

This may be a naive question, but, does the opinion of news readers, paper editors, or journalists in general really carry that much weight?

If that's the case, that might be a sad commentary on the average electors standing in the ballot-box.

So, quite a way back in this thread, Wendy suggested among other things that Huntsman (staying with him just for the sake of debate) lacked a wow/glamour thing.

Others have suggested influence can be exerted on the electoral process by the media, both right and left I suppose.

This may be a naive question, but, does the opinion of news readers, paper editors, or journalists in general really carry that much weight?

If that's the case, that might be a sad commentary on the average electors standing in the ballot-box.

I am not sure I would say what they say carries that much weight in and of itself unless you look at where many people singlely get there news

And that place for many is JUST the 3 or 4 big main stream media sources

And it is a sad commentary on the average electors

Just look at who the current president is

Doing well, dont you think?
Abraham Lincoln

Oh. I certainly don't want to embroil myself in a conversation about your current (or past or future) senior politicians, but,

sigh...

I will say that on a personal level and strictly as a foreign but friendly neighbor with only the best of intentions for the USA, I will confess his administration has failed to live up to my hopes for your country on the international stage and in my country specifically.

On that note, I'll back out and just continue to follow the debate/conversation.

John

Oh. I certainly don't want to embroil myself in a conversation about your current (or past or future) senior politicians, but,

sigh...

I will say that on a personal level and strictly as a foreign but friendly neighbor with only the best of intentions for the USA, I will confess his administration has failed to live up to my hopes for your country on the international stage and in my country specifically.

On that note, I'll back out and just continue to follow the debate/conversation.

John

Nice talking to you

But if you really want to see the how different the media treats the sides, just pay attention to the questions and the tone of those questions

What is happening now was predicted by many. This president is theleast qualified as we have ever had

Add his qualifications to his attitude and well, we have what we have

Marc
Abraham Lincoln

Just ask our SEALS

And they say it is torture.
Try again.

Are you saying they are not waterboarded during their training?

Try again

Apparently you did not look at the video of a former SEAL stating that waterboarding is torture.

So we "torture" our own.

How smart is that?

Someone who knows a whole lot more about torture than you do strongly disagrees with you.

www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-57324283-503544/john-mccain-hits-gop-hopefuls-over-waterboarding/

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Great post. It's not all the Democrats' or the Republicans' fault; it's ours for electing them, and for paying attention to our own short-term needs over those of the country as a whole.

Just as so many people did when they bought big houses and remodeled them.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)