dreamdancer

How I Stopped Worrying and Learned to Love the OWS Protests

step aside...

The police in their own way are symbols of the problem. All over the country, thousands of armed cops have been deployed to stand around and surveil and even assault the polite crowds of Occupy protesters. This deployment of law-enforcement resources already dwarfs the amount of money and manpower that the government "committed" to fighting crime and corruption during the financial crisis. One OWS protester steps in the wrong place, and she immediately has police roping her off like wayward cattle. But in the skyscrapers above the protests, anything goes.

This is a profound statement about who law enforcement works for in this country. What happened on Wall Street over the past decade was an unparalleled crime wave. Yet at most, maybe 1,500 federal agents were policing that beat – and that little group of financial cops barely made any cases at all. Yet when thousands of ordinary people hit the streets with the express purpose of obeying the law and demonstrating their patriotism through peaceful protest, the police response is immediate and massive. There have already been hundreds of arrests, which is hundreds more than we ever saw during the years when Wall Street bankers were stealing billions of dollars from retirees and mutual-fund holders and carpenters unions through the mass sales of fraudulent mortgage-backed securities.

It's not that the cops outside the protests are doing wrong, per se, by patrolling the parks and sidewalks. It's that they should be somewhere else. They should be heading up into those skyscrapers and going through the file cabinets to figure out who stole what, and from whom. They should be helping people get their money back. Instead, they're out on the street, helping the Blankfeins of the world avoid having to answer to the people they ripped off.

People want out of this fiendish system, rigged to inexorably circumvent every hope we have for a more balanced world. They want major changes. I think I understand now that this is what the Occupy movement is all about. It's about dropping out, if only for a moment, and trying something new, the same way that the civil rights movement of the 1960s strived to create a "beloved community" free of racial segregation.

http://www.commondreams.org/view/2011/11/11-7
stay away from moving propellers - they bite
blue skies from thai sky adventures
good solid response-provoking keyboarding

All over the country, thousands of armed cops have been deployed to stand around and surveil and even assault the polite crowds of Occupy protesters.

:D:D:D:D

....... Breath ..... Breath.........

I couldn't make it past that sentence.....
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

All over the country, thousands of armed cops have been deployed to stand around and surveil and even assault the polite crowds of Occupy protesters.

Too many big words for you huh

I'm guessing it was the failure to mesh with reality. Can you find an example where officers were deployed with orders to assault? (remember assault is unlawful touching- using force to effect an arrest for illegal conduct is not unlawful, hence not an assault).

Then there's the issue of "polite". Sure, some of them are polite all the time, and most of the are polite most of the time, but how polite is blocking traffic? Insulting pedestrians? Assaulting cops? Fighting? Stealing? Raping? Shooting?

Really, how many polite crowds have been in physical confrontations with police?
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

I'm guessing it was the failure to mesh with reality. Can you find an example where officers were deployed with orders to assault? (remember assault is unlawful touching- using force to effect an arrest for illegal conduct is not unlawful, hence not an assault).

Then there's the issue of "polite". Sure, some of them are polite all the time, and most of the are polite most of the time, but how polite is blocking traffic? Insulting pedestrians? Assaulting cops? Fighting? Stealing? Raping? Shooting?

Really, how many polite crowds have been in physical confrontations with police?

Hey why dont you go get some pepper spray in the eyes from the white shirt guys in NY...OH thats right... your buddies can NEVER do anything wrong

FAce it.. You will support ANY cop doing ANYTHING... behind that perseption of its ALL of US against YOU...Paranoia... its not just for nutters anymore:S:S:S

Your online name says it all...you are a fool.
You have no understanding of what happened to the people in 1913.. until you understand the importance of sound currency ...you will be just a commodity...[:/]

the only 'sound' currency is the value of our labour...

Your online name says it all...you are a fool.
You have no understanding of what happened to the people in 1913.. until you understand the importance of sound currency ...you will be just a commodity...[:/]

The problem with devaluation of the currency is ?
It robs the value of our labors and places inflation on the currency..

If the money was sound. the price of goods would go down..
Here is an example...our government factors in a cost of living increase every year...why ?
inflation...when you print money from thin air , you rob the people of their wealth.

You have no idea of just how much the "value of our labor " has been borrowed away..plus we owe the interest..the bankers are getting rich on our labors.

Ron Paul or bankruptcy

Which is measured by how much a person is willing to pay for it.

Look - even the OWS crowd knows that they can't expect to get paid for what they are doing. They have "volunteers" working everytwhere foro free. Doing thing for free.

What is the value of sleeping in the street? Yeah. The value is zero.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Look - even the OWS crowd knows that they can't expect to get paid for what they are doing. They have "volunteers" working everytwhere foro free. Doing thing for free.

Which is how the conservatives of this country have always valued those who live there on the streets..... because those people should be pulling themselves up with their non-existent boot straps.

Many of them are used up veterans... who only get a THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE.... and nothing else.

Many of them are the mentally ill.... shushed out the doors of institutions... but they have ALL the rights of American street people..

The right to live in squalor.... the right to get no medical or mental health care... the right to starve..... the right to freeze to death... but they DO have their 2nd amendment rights.... counselor.

Hey why dont you go get some pepper spray in the eyes from the white shirt guys in NY...OH thats right... your buddies can NEVER do anything wrong

FAce it.. You will support ANY cop doing ANYTHING... behind that perseption of its ALL of US against YOU...Paranoia... its not just for nutters anymore:S:S:S

Next thing you know, you are going to tell me that the OWS protestors leave places cleaner than they found it.....:D:D:D

Can't.... stop.... laughing.... at.... the..... delusional..... :D:D:D

sides hurt..... can't breath.....

you guys are sooooo environmentally sound..... :D:D:D Your graffiti says so.... :D:D:D

It was also spelled out in poo on the side walk...
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

Next thing you know, you are going to tell me that the OWS protestors leave places cleaner than they found it.....:D:D:D

you guys are sooooo environmentally sound..... :D:D:D Your graffiti says so.... :D:D:D

Gee is poo biodegradable???

How about we get you some FRAK produced water... I want to see you drink that bubba...

Gee is poo biodegradable???

How about we get you some FRAK produced water... I want to see you drink that bubba...

That's OK, being a conservative, I take my Aquafina in a plastic bottle, that comes in single serving six packs of course, so I can fill up the land fills with plastic, mean while wrapping the holders around the neck of something cute, fuzzy and endangered.

FRAK water is for liberals....:D:D:D

FRAK water is for liberals....

I think you will find far more of your fellow travellers in RED STATES.. drinking that polluted "produced" water that WILL give many of them cancer.

Good luck with that

But keep filling your head with nice little phallacies... it looks good on you.

As I said, FRAK water is for liberals. If we didn't produce it, what would you have to protest? What other projects would you have to fleece the government for billions of dollars of special interest money to solve? If we didn't endanger the delta smelt or vermilion darter, what excuse would you have to be angry?

Just say thank you for helping to give you your liberal agenda while I light my cigar with this $100 bill I got from the Koch Bros.....:D:D

Does this custom Italian suit make my butt look fat?:ph34r:

FRAK water is for liberals....

I think you will find far more of your fellow travellers in RED STATES.. drinking that polluted "produced" water that WILL give many of them cancer.

Good luck with that

But keep filling your head with nice little phallacies... it looks good on you.

As I said, FRAK water is for liberals. If we didn't produce it, what would you have to protest? What other projects would you have to fleece the government for billions of dollars of special interest money to solve? If we didn't endanger the delta smelt or vermilion darter, what excuse would you have to be angry?

Just say thank you for helping to give you your liberal agenda while I light my cigar with this $100 bill I got from the Koch Bros.....:D:D

Does this custom Italian suit make my butt look fat?:ph34r:

Yes.. yes it does... but don't't worry.. I hear that when yall get your own case of cancer.. you can lose lots of weight. Are you going to be pised when that happens there bubba???

Might be a little late by then though.... get some good life insurance... maybe your family will benefit.... well if they are not in the same boat with you... as so many are in the areas where the drillin did not go so well for them.

Which is how the conservatives of this country have always valued those who live there on the streets..... because those people should be pulling themselves up with their non-existent boot straps.

Many of them are used up veterans... who only get a THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE.... and nothing else.

Many of them are the mentally ill.... shushed out the doors of institutions... but they have ALL the rights of American street people..

The right to live in squalor.... the right to get no medical or mental health care... the right to starve..... the right to freeze to death... but they DO have their 2nd amendment rights.... counselor.

It may seem odd to you, but I don't credit conservatives for taking the steps necessary to ensure that the rights of the mentally ill to refuse treatment were recognized. A conservative would blame it on liberal do gooders. Which is exactly what happened. Then you blame conservatives and specidically Reagan. Why?

Because truth doesn't matter to you anyu more than the mentally ill. You've already told us how you'd victimize tje mentally ill. They are nothing but expendable pawns to you. And you would absolutely destroy them if it meant you could blame thr right wing.

And Jeanne - how much have you paid the mentally ill and homeless? That'ls right - you don't pay them anything that isn't forced from you. You are filled with hate for these people.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

It may seem odd to you, but I don't credit conservatives for taking the steps necessary to ensure that the rights of the mentally ill to refuse treatment were recognized. A conservative would blame it on liberal do gooders. Which is exactly what happened. Then you blame conservatives and specidically Reagan. Why?

Because truth doesn't matter to you anyu more than the mentally ill. You've already told us how you'd victimize tje mentally ill. They are nothing but expendable pawns to you. And you would absolutely destroy them if it meant you could blame thr right wing.

As Saint Ronnie said.....

"There you go again"

What you don't know but ASSume... really is astounding.:S:S:S

And Jeanne - how much have you paid the mentally ill and homeless? That'ls right - you don't pay them anything that isn't forced from you. You are filled with hate for these people.

A SWAT team of over 25 heavily armed police officers swarmed and arrested an Occupy spin-off group of anarchists in Chapel Hill N.C. who had taken over a long-vacant car dealership and suggested the space be used for a free clinic, kitchen, child care, library, dormitories and other uses so much less scary than the SWAT team that we are left speechless. The police said they felt they had to take the semi-automatic-wielding action because "the group used large banners to obscure the windows to the business..." Sorry. We're still speechless.

http://www.commondreams.org/further/2011/11/14-1

A SWAT team of over 25 heavily armed police [define "Heavily Armed"]officers swarmed and arrested an Occupy spin-off group of anarchists in Chapel Hill N.C. who had taken over a long-vacant car dealership[Owned by someone else, vacant or not] and suggested the space be used for a free clinic, kitchen, child care, library, dormitories and other uses so much less scary than the SWAT team that we are left speechless[aw... poor baby couldn't use that useless BA in English to compose coherent statements?]. The police said they felt they had to take the semi-automatic-wielding action [um, what?] because "the group used large banners to obscure the windows to the business...[Which means the criminal squatters could have been harboring weapons or other contraband]" Sorry. We're still speechless.

http://www.commondreams.org/further/2011/11/14-1

Edited for Sanity.