CameraNewbie

Occupy A Place of Honor for one day!.....not Wall St!

Occupy a Place Of Honor - Click here for article link

There will be a big demonstration on Fifth Avenue tomorrow -- but don’t look for the self-obsessed slackers of Occupy Wall Street to be on hand.

That’s a pity, for there is much they could learn from the thousands of men and women who will be marching up the avenue when the annual New York City Veterans Day parade kicks off at 11:11 a.m.

They could learn about duty, honor, personal responsibility and self-reliance -- traits that come naturally to folks inclined to answer when their country calls, but which have been in obvious short supply at Zuccotti Park from the beginning.

The parade will proceed north from 26th Street to 56th Street, and will be preceded by a wreath-laying ceremony at Madison Square Park.

For Friday is Nov. 11, Veterans Day, when America honors those who -- at an age comparable to most of those in Lower Manhattan’s new tent city -- answered the summons to duty.

They did so, by and large, with little thought for their own concerns. America summoned them -- and they served.

Many, sadly, made the ultimate sacrifice. Others carry the scars of battle to this day.

But most came home blessedly whole, healthy and happy -- determined to make productive lives for themselves and their families.

In this endeavor, most succeeded -- aided in no small way by the discipline and self-confidence they acquired in the service of their country.

America today boasts more than 22 million veterans -- a number that utterly dwarfs the rag-tag bands of increasingly violent and always obnoxious “occupiers” that now dot the land.

It wouldn’t hurt any of the New York contingent to put aside their drums -- to say nothing of their pretentions -- for the couple of hours it would take to hike over to Fifth Avenue and watch the colors stream by.

Again, they might learn something.

Everybody else, of course, already gets it.

But wouldn’t it be nice if all those who are within walking distance of the parade made the time to stop by to honor heroes?
What do protesters want? Dead cops! When do they want it? Every 2 weeks!

Squatters have raised over $750,000. They have banned homeless people from joining their cause. Only students, recently unemployed and those that support their cause are allowed inside zuccotti park. Homeless people are permanently banned from zuccotti park. What happenened to distributing the wealth?

Squatters have raised over $750,000. They have banned homeless people from joining their cause. Only students, recently unemployed and those that support their cause are allowed inside zuccotti park. Homeless people are permanently banned from zuccotti park. What happenened to distributing the wealth?

That was when it was *OTHER* people's wealth, not their own.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

That was when it was *OTHER* people's wealth, not their own.

The squatters have a very tight knit operation. They only allow familiars inside their click. Homeless people aren't even given scraps to eat. Where are their morals?

I wouldn't expect anything less from a pathetic tabloid like the post, but OWS has huge support from veterans.

:(

ESPECIALLY the 12% of them that can't get a job.... because they were not really valued all that much other than a few homilies.. of "Thank you for your service" that so many like to mouth to them.

At least a few organizations are trying to do something about that. MAYBE... even the Congress will actually do something about it.>:(

Only students, recently unemployed and those that support their cause are allowed inside zuccotti park. Homeless people are permanently banned from zuccotti park.

Sounds like a perfectly justifiable reason to forcibly remove them and arrest any who refuse. Private citizens denying access to a public park? I don't think so.

A couple of retard vets does not make a "movement".

Not one of those links are VFW or American Legion or even the VA. Just a few news sources and some silly "Veterans Today.com" website; a Commondreams-esque site that panders to a not so bright readership.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

You know what? I would like to see the fitreps and evals of those vets who participate in the OWS. I am positive they will reflect at best an average to below average marks. Every unit, company, division has at least one or two of them types: whiners who didn't want to do the work and bitched loudly about it. Always complains about everything, and never without volunteering a possible fix to the problem or perceived problem. Totally useless types that cost man-hours babysitting and diciplining.>:(>:(

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Sorry, my bad. I didn't know the only vets that support financial reform in this country were retards, I guess they all look the same to me.

It's all right. It's easy to mistake whining as a real fix. If you want to cause reform, you have to put in the work for it. Camping out and protesting to force other people to work those reforms is by far the most retarded thing to do. Veteran or not.

Also to add. . .

Anyone that has spent any amount of years in any of the five Services knows instinctively that taking a problem to the table with out a plan of what you are going to do to fix it is a huge failure that will get you nowhere but ignored or even yelled at for such stupidity. It's the bare basic way of leadership and productivity. Thats why I call these guys retarded. They should feel some sort of dissonance for belonging with such a group. Only a useless whiner should feel at home there.

AAhhh. . .you got my you clever guy! Boy do I bitch on these forums.

But seriously, venting on a forum while doing something about what's causing my venting isn't very visible here. For example, I bitched about whiners here, but I have solutions for the whiners that affect me in real life. I give my "whiners" resources and the tools to help themselves out. I also put them in position to be responsible for their lack of actions and even give them opportunities that put them in a position in which they have to provide fixes. After a while, they get it as they see concrete purposes behind working the problem out vice sitting in a corner and bitching. Mostly it works and they grow up to be a useful part of the team.
Sometimes though, you can't force a horse to drink water by sucking on it's asshole. They usually get out after their enlistment and work at an auto parts store. They are in a less dangerous area to have their fantasies of injustices at.