normiss

At the risk of sounding racist...

One of the comments on the story page said it best: "Unfortunately, if a country singer were to sing about race, he/she would be demonized for not understanding, not being sympathetic enough, etc."

I agree. I have a feeling that broaching the topic of race, simply for its own sake, will open up a very large, very uncontrollable can of worms for the artist that chooses to do so. If said artist is white, which in the country genre is probable, they absolutely won't be able to prevail in a racial argument in our society.
Provoking a reaction isn't the same thing as saying something meaningful.
-Calvin

LZ Granderson fails to mention that C/W traditionalists Merle Haggard sang "Uncle Lem," and Kenny Rogers sang "Rueben James," while less-traditional C/W artist Eddy Rabbitt's "American Boy" included a voiceover by ML King Jr.

OTOH, black C/W artists Charlie Pride and Neal McCoy didn't think it necessary to sing about racial issues, yet were still admired by C/W fans of all races.

Granderson's whining may be politically correct, but not factually so. Unfortunately, there will always be those who see art as nothing more than a means to advance a political agenda.

I grew up with country music in the house, it was one of mom's favorites. Then again she did listen to Kid Rock too....:S

Anywho, I can always remember plenty of black musicians. Never cared what color people are. Never thought of it. I just thought it was an odd article. I just don't think I understand it.

LZ Granderson fails to mention that C/W traditionalists Merle Haggard sang "Uncle Lem," and Kenny Rogers sang "Rueben James," while less-traditional C/W artist Eddy Rabbitt's "American Boy" included a voiceover by ML King Jr.

OTOH, black C/W artists Charlie Pride and Neal McCoy didn't think it necessary to sing about racial issues, yet were still admired by C/W fans of all races.

Granderson's whining may be politically correct, but not factually so. Unfortunately, there will always be those who see art as nothing more than a means to advance a political agenda.

Johnny Cash sang of Ira Hayes, a Native American WWII vet who fought on Iwo Jima.
HAMMER:
Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a
kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the
object we are trying to hit.

Never cared what color people are. Never thought of it. I just thought it was an odd article. I just don't think I understand it.

Ya, the article did seem a little odd to me...It's hard to discern whether he's really complaining about country, or actually just expressing his readiness to accept our rather notorious history w/r/t racial issues and openly discuss it without a sense of contempt on either side.

The writer is from Detroit where it still tends to be one of the more segregated parts of the country, and where we are always aware of our differences whether black, white, arab, bosnian, croatian, serbian, jewish, muslim, christian...this however doesn't mean that we are racists and don't get together and have a great time!B|
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

As far as I'm concerned I think "race" is a sociological construct, not a biological reality. People shouldn't be treated differently because the way they look, but people also shouldn't whine when their colour/race isn't respected. Because there's nothing respectable about being black, white or being any other so called "race". It's not like you had to do anything to look the way you do. And yes. people whine way to much about racism. (or more precise, whine way to much about what they perceive as racism, there's no such thing as "whining" too much about actual racism.)

Funny you should bring this up. This article appeared in the Toronto Sun recently.

http://www.torontosun.com/2011/11/08/vogue-covers-failing-black-people-thandie-newton

Thandie Newton has slammed bosses at Vogue magazine for failing to support diversity by shunning black celebrities on the cover.

The actress has long graced the cover of a number of popular fashion magazines but Newton admits she has failed to catch the attention of editors at Vogue, insisting the publication is doing a disservice by neglecting to celebrate stars of African heritage.

She tells Britain's Pride magazine, "Don't get me started on black people being on the cover of big magazines. It's so preposterous. I mean, I've been on the cover of Harper's Bazaar four times; I've been on the cover of InStyle four times, but Vogue, not once.

"Literally, people have said to me, 'What have you got against Vogue that you don't want to be on their cover?' And I just laugh.

"They (Vogue) don't feel the need to represent because it doesn't make any sense to them. It's just baffling to me, but, as usual, America will dictate the ways things go and a magazine like Vogue will just follow America, but it's like, 'Don't you want to trail blaze?'"

"The greater danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it." - Michelangelo

I'm sure, country music singers don't feel a need to sing about 'race'. They sing what sells... 'real life'.

Chuck

But I will also tell you I am disappointed that so few artists will sing about the one glaring aspect of life in the country that greatly defines how many Americans view the genre -- and that is race. Scan the singles released over recent decades and it's as if race doesn't exist as an issue despite the South, the home of country music, being the backdrop for the beginning of the civil rights movement.

Sounds to me like he's complaining that theres not enough emphsis on the racial hatred that divides American society?? If he wants to hear about how tough coloured folk had it then he should pop on some Nina Simone.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

I will say, being half white, half black. There is a subtext of racism in society, just as almost any woman will say there is a subtle subtext of sexism. Many women deal with it on a daily basis and its so minor and pervasive that it barely gets a rise from people.

The way I look it at. is where is the overall arc, and the trends moving, and the history. IT has been less than a century since women and even less time since blacks were given full rights (votings rights etc) Just because the rights have been given, it takes many decades and generations for those legacies to be fully erased.

Women were usually not fully allowed in universities and the workplace in this country, its part of why decades after admittance there are so few in top leadership positions in terms of what their makeup is in society.

I tend to look at things with a long term view, I see things getting far better for both groups and racism subsiding dramatically and while things like racism will never get to zero like sexism, xenophobia, homophobia and other fears of people that are different. The reality is things are far better and moving in the right direction. We have a half black president, the top(former) golfer in the world is black.

35 years ago when my black father and white mother were married, they often had to live their lives secretly in a public sphere, today they can go and do anything together without the public batting an eye. Today when I go to the mall with my nephew who is white as can be, no one thinks twice that I am taking a child.

Although I must say, being half white half black, I can often appear arab in appearance, and then all bets are off especially in an airport, which is why I usually try to dress and appear more black. (I basically look like the background brown people, if I'm in india i'm indian. If i'm in brazil i'm braziliian, etc)

So while racism does still exist, even in my short lifetime its decreased and the trend is that there is less racism and less denial of rights and opportunities for those of no Caucasian background.