dreamdancer

Most of the Unemployed No Longer Receive Unemployment Benefits

well, prison certainly isn't full of rich people is it?

It's full of people who commit crimes, regardless of financial status.

apart from the rich who have money for lawyers...
stay away from moving propellers - they bite
blue skies from thai sky adventures
good solid response-provoking keyboarding

Lawyers aren't going to help much when it comes to most crimes that land you in prison. Ones that land you in jail certainly, but if you are accused of something major like robbery, rape, murder, serious financial crimes, etc, a good lawyer isn't going to get it knocked down to just probation.

Lawyers aren't going to help much when it comes to most crimes that land you in prison. Ones that land you in jail certainly, but if you are accused of something major like robbery, rape, murder, serious financial crimes, etc, a good lawyer isn't going to get it knocked down to just probation.

you'll find the 1% heartily disagree with you - whatever is the point in having all that money if it can't keep you and your friends out of jail...
stay away from moving propellers - they bite
blue skies from thai sky adventures
good solid response-provoking keyboarding

You don't really keep up with news do you.:S:S:S

You've forgotten about Nicole Simpson and Ronald Goldman murders followed by a low speed chase involving a white Ford Bronco, a long trial producing quotable lines such as

"If it doesn't fit, you must acquit"

acquittal in criminal court, and finding of liability for wrongful death in civil court.

Sigh I give up.
Here I argued how the labor market today can not be expected to recover the economy as quickly or as efficiently as the labor market from the 70's due to ever increasing efficiencies thus making it easier for fewer people to do the work of many......

And this is what we get?

My friend is right. As it stands now due to technology 1 person can effectively do the job of 10 people at a 25% lower cost.

And if demand is constant or declining......

What will the other 9 people do! Work for less and less while the company makes more and more in profits!

Why hire, just keep squeezing and firing until our labor costs are lower than that of china and the poor are dead and the middle class is eating paper?
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

>As it stands now due to technology 1 person can effectively do the job of 10 people at
>a 25% lower cost.

Well, I'd say 1 person can effectively do the job of maybe 1.5 people in the 1970's. They're not increasing intelligence, just giving us better tools. And giving a moron CAD tools doesn't get you good designs - it just gets you moronic designs more quickly.

>What will the other 9 people do!

Get jobs as web developers - jobs that were not available in the 1970's. In other words, they get jobs created by new technologies.

Which is why continued innovation is so critical. We cannot compete on cost, but we can still (barely) compete on innovation. And that's another reason that education is so critical. As long as we can produce engineers that can create things like the Internet (or the Tesla, or the Ipad) we can create jobs as people lose their old ones.

Once we lose that, there's no recovering. (IMO.)

What innovation? There is nothing new to come and don't expect any game changers such as the personal computer or the Internet. We are effectively maxed out. And now here comes the killer.

1 person doing a job of 5 people....or more.

And due to no new products being created there are no new fields to absorb these out of work folks.

Back in the 70s we were less efficient and there were new fields that were opening up.....

But look at this efficient stagnant solid state world we live in.
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

What innovation? There is nothing new to come and don't expect any game changers such as the personal computer or the Internet. We are effectively maxed out.

No, we aren't. There were many who though that everything had already been invented when I was growing up in the early 60's. Sure, lots of things are just refinements, and improved/cheaper manufacturing, but lots aren't.

Computers/word processors raised the bar as far as what every little document should look like -- sometimes just making more work rather than getting any more done.

If any one thought that things were stagnant in the 70s was a little lost.
Simple hvac developments and other day to day products were being developed along with the price of energy dropping.

Look around other than cell phones and pads....we are stuck. And it's a stuck due to physics not due to innovation. Be it solar cells or battery power. Until we find some dirt cheap power or we discover a new continent we are stuck with a highly trained highly agile workforce who every year will make less and less.

We are screwed especially if you are middle class.

well, I'm certainly not going to hire you as a visionary for a company.

and you're so far off the mark.
"Other than cell phones and pads" shows a limited view of what these disruptors represent. They employ a hell of a lot of people at the hardware and now software market. And at this point in time, the smartphone penetration is still pretty low. This will change. Word Lens was the first app that made me realize that this will be more than just a little web browser in your pocket. Shit, you point your phone at a piece of paper in a foreign language and it converts it in REAL TIME! Or google's language translators - speak to it, it replies in any other language. The combination of these phones + a back end cloud is going to give us the Star Trek experience in no time.

Database work barely existed in the 70s, that will also explode. And sure, half of them are Indians on H1Bs, but the other half aren't!. When you look at the recent progress with natural language show by IBM (Watson) and now Siri on the mobile side - soon we're going to have tools to do much more intelligent search of the exabytes of data we have accumulated. Figuring out what to do with this possibilities is a strength America has done well on the past 20 years.

I feel pretty good about the next 10 years. After that, it's less clear as the budget issues may cloud the picture, both here and in Europe.

I agree with kelp about not reaching a plateau in terms of technology. New advances are coming thick & fast, much more rapidly than they did in the 70s. Of course I wonder how companies are supposed to function long term when the CEO gets paid a salary that could be used to hire 400+ workers. So high, in fact, that in one year the CEO makes enough to become independently wealthy for life, so what is his/her incentive to commit to long term growth? All you gotta do is hang in there for a year, if the company tanks after that, just layoff all the workers & retire young with a golden parachute.

Maybe I should forget about my science degrees and just get an MBA.
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

You've forgotten about Nicole Simpson and Ronald Goldman murders followed by a low speed chase involving a white Ford Bronco, a long trial producing quotable lines such as

"If it doesn't fit, you must acquit"

acquittal in criminal court, and finding of liability for wrongful death in civil court.

That would be because criminal courts require proof "beyond reasonable doubt." And civil cases require "preponderance of the evidence."

I'm sorry but look there is no technical job I can't ship off to Asia today and save 50% of costs and still get the same output.

If you are hitching your life on cell phones and smart pads to pull us out of this economy then I'm really sorry but.....really?

Back in the 70's we had some sort of manufacturing base.
WE had very high energy costs and very high interest rates and our cities and suburbs were not filled and running efficiently yet.

Right now interest rates are at 0%, energy costs are low as hell, and both the cities and burbs are fully stabilized.

What will trigger us to buy again?

And why? I as a manager can improve my income by cutting the staff of any company by a solid 40% tell the remaining people that due to the economy that they will got get paid more for the next 5 years.....and pull in a nice paycheck. IF demand stays constant. And for the most part it has.

Sadly from everything I've seen and read...expect 10 years of next to no growth and continued decreased incomes for all in the middle class with inflation floating around 3% to 4%.

Sorry boys, unless we find free energy or China dies.....we are fucked!

I'm sorry but look there is no technical job I can't ship off to Asia today and save 50% of costs and still get the same output.

Is this what you're learning in night business school? It's so 1995, and has been completely repudiated by companies learning it the hard way.

Is this what you're learning in night business school? It's so 1995, and has been completely repudiated by companies learning it the hard way.

With proper six sima and management tools yes I cn just about ship any job to sea and save a solid 50% in overhead alone. A bit of oversight and I can reduce product costs by 75%

This past January I was in Vietnam and well.....Im very sorry things don't look good for a good 80% of us.

As I stated and please take into account
1 low and stable energy costs
2 low and stable interest rates
3 vast quantities of well educated work force

And nothing new on the horizon to save our asses. Nothing. If you think I pads and apps are going to be our saving grace.....please enlighten me. I would love to be optimistic about the next ten heats but as it stands it does not look good. Not even in nj. We have lost something like 15% of our income over the past 5 years. Add in inflation and well.....it's not good.

But please if you have any ideas or thoughts that you feel will pull us out other than spin and calling names please do enlighten

With proper six sima and management tools yes I cn just about ship any job to sea and save a solid 50% in overhead alone. A bit of oversight and I can reduce product costs by 75%

Dude, you can't even manage your own finances, or articulate a decent thesis. You do seem to have a passing grasp of b-school bullshit bingo going.

The only advise I can give you - if you spend all your time complaining about what you can't do, you won't do shit.

Dude, you can't even manage your own finances, or articulate a decent thesis. You do seem to have a passing grasp of b-school bullshit bingo going.

The only advise I can give you - if you spend all your time complaining about what you can't do, you won't do shit.

I'm sorry but what is up with the personal attack here?
What do you know about my personal finances? Are you my accountant?
I politely asked you for your thoughts on the subject, I did not attack you or any political party not class in particular.

I simply put my thoughts on screen regarding how ever increased improvements in efficiency allow employers to make do with much much less human capital all the while reducing over all compensation of the employed due to a vast well educated and hungry pool of workers who are willing able and ready to do the same work for much less money.

I'm sure this kind of rebuttal may work on a vast array of spineless gutless democrats and causies who would fall prey to your spin and forgo the crux of the debate. I'm sorry I am not one of those people.

Thus I strongly suggest you take a moment take your fingers off he key board maybe take a deep breath and form a coherent concise rebuttal to the question at hand;

How does one reach full employment in an era where due to amazing improvements in efficiency a good 20%-40% of the population are nolonger needed to maintain the day to day functions and operations of your average service and goods provider.

And if there is no true return to our previous definition of full employment, about 3% unemployment. Can we as a society along with out economy survive the new normal of 20%-40% unemployment?

I'm sorry but what is up with the personal attack here?
What do you know about my personal finances? Are you my accountant?
I politely asked you for your thoughts on the subject, I did not attack you or any political party not class in particular.

I simply put my thoughts on screen regarding how ever increased improvements in efficiency allow employers to make do with much much less human capital all the while reducing over all compensation of the employed due to a vast well educated and hungry pool of workers who are willing able and ready to do the same work for much less money.

I'm sure this kind of rebuttal may work on a vast array of spineless gutless democrats and causies who would fall prey to your spin and forgo the crux of the debate. I'm sorry I am not one of those people.

Thus I strongly suggest you take a moment take your fingers off he key board maybe take a deep breath and form a coherent concise rebuttal to the question at hand;

How does one reach full employment in an era where due to amazing improvements in efficiency a good 20%-40% of the population are nolonger needed to maintain the day to day functions and operations of your average service and goods provider.

And if there is no true return to our previous definition of full employment, about 3% unemployment. Can we as a society along with out economy survive the new normal of 20%-40% unemployment?

Ever thought a new strain of some virus....released on the country to solve that useless population problem???

I wonder if the vaccine for the 1% is ready yet.

Sadly mass deaths and wars do a very good job of leaning out a well educated and well trained working population thus stabilizing things.

But things are no longer that easy.
Wars can wipe out life as we know it.
Simple viruses can become pandemics and collapse economies and nations.

WWWIII will be nuclear both in terms of the weapons utilized as well as the effect on the home front.

The next plague....look I was in China this past January for two weeks....if they ever get hit with a major virus....it would be bad. Not just for them but also for us here in the US.

Ever thought a new strain of some virus....released on the country to solve that useless population problem???

I know... We'll call it "Zuccotti Lung"!! oh wait, that's taken.
--
Rob

I know... We'll call it "Zuccotti Lung"!! oh wait, that's taken.

Another clueless post.....

Color me not surprised.:S:S